IGNORED

screwing with pirates

Awwww, man; these replies are NOT what I expected from a thread titled "screwing with pirates", sigh....

attachicon.gifConquest.jpg

Oh how I miss the Jenna Jameson of old. Not the old Jenna Jameson. I am not even going to post a picture, with the hopes of not destroying someone's lifetime fantasy. Do not google it - you've been warned.

I actually was wondering if it was possible to turn the text upside down if a pirate tries to brute force my program? or force him to write in Hex.

Actually, there is a single poke on the Atari which will turn the text upside down:

POKE 755,4

Also, you can really fuck with people by changing the OS location of the keyboard decode table. I'll leave that one for you to Google. Basically, it makes any key you hit return a random (but consistent) other key. Excellent fun. Think QWERTY to DVORAK on steroids.

I actually was wondering if it was possible to turn the text upside down if a pirate tries to brute force my program?

The first step is figuring out how to actually detect an attack, if that can't be done consistently and with a reasonable degree of accuracy - just imagine a protection scheme that fell over on certain models of machine for example - then whatever you decide to do as a response is useless.

or force him to write in Hex.

Yeah, because crackers would struggle to work in hexadecimal... and do i need to put a sarcasm tag here?

• Like 1

what I want to do I write a dummy program that can be easily pirated but as soon as its loaded, the text turns upside down and it freezes.

an example would be to make a game for Sega cd, save it as a zip, post it to the pirate bay or some other P2P site and when its run, the text becomes corrupted and the file freezes. if its copied to an actual cd, the system's data becomes corrupted. (that last one seems unlikely)

Edited by Jackel192

what I want to do I write a dummy program that can be easily pirated but as soon as its loaded, the text turns upside down and it freezes.

an example would be to make a game for Sega cd, save it as a zip, post it to the pirate bay or some other P2P site and when its run, the text becomes corrupted and the file freezes. if its copied to an actual cd, the system's data becomes corrupted. (that last one seems unlikely)

Why?

Call it speculative, but I'm going to assume that you don't get out much.

• Like 1

LDA #4

STA 755

JMP *

There, that turns the text upside down and freezes. It's also utterly pointless and you're basically wasting your own time as much as the people you're trying to upset.

(Slight edit because i can't remember if A8 assemblers support JMP * - using a DTA $02 or whatever your assembler of choice supports will work better now i think about it...)

So basically you want to be a dick. Why? What exactly are you personally getting out of that!?

Edited by TMR
  • Like 1

If this is attempt to launch a train for thought, it seems the train has already left the station.

And for some bizarre reason i'm a distance up the track trying to change the points before it goes hurtling past and into a ravine...

• Like 2

LDA #4

STA 755

JMP *

There, that turns the text upside down and freezes. It's also utterly pointless and you're basically wasting your own time as much as the people you're trying to upset.

(Slight edit because i can't remember if A8 assemblers support JMP * - using a DTA $02 or whatever your assembler of choice supports will work better now i think about it...)

So basically you want to be a dick. Why? What exactly are you personally getting out of that

Edited by Jackel192

@TMR this thread was simply about an experiment I wanted to do. there's no need to be rude

So you want to create a program that "if its copied to an actual cd, the system's data becomes corrupted" as an "experiment" and, somehow, i'm the one being rude here? Really?!

• Like 1