IGNORED

Apple IIe doesn't want to drop to the command line

Nebulon

So I have a rather nice Apple IIe that works great in all situations (as long as I have disks for it).

However -- as of late -- it has been refusing to drop down to the ] prompt if I reset it after powering it on (without anything in the drives).

Usually, I can power it up and then press CTRL OpenApple Reset and it shows the command line.

Lately it instead displays a message stating that it can't load ProDOS.

It's not a big deal because I have DOS disks and can boot it that way. But it would have been a big deal back when I first got this machine with absolutely no software.

Just wondering if other people have run into this problem and what the cause of it might be.

Could it be the Apple ROMs?

So I have a rather nice Apple IIe that works great in all situations (as long as I have disks for it).

However -- as of late -- it has been refusing to drop down to the ] prompt if I reset it after powering it on (without anything in the drives).

Usually, I can power it up and then press CTRL OpenApple Reset and it shows the command line.

Lately it instead displays a message stating that it can't load ProDOS.

It's not a big deal because I have DOS disks and can boot it that way. But it would have been a big deal back when I first got this machine with absolutely no software.

Just wondering if other people have run into this problem and what the cause of it might be.

Could it be the Apple ROMs?

I'm not sure I understand. A cold booted Apple II without disks has no idea what ProDOS is. Do you have battery backed RAMFactor in Slot 7 or something?

If you start it up with no disk in the disk drive and hit Ctrl-Reset without the Apple keys, it should drop into Applesoft BASIC without any support for the disk drive. Does that work? You said you push Ctrl-Open Apple-Reset but that is the reboot combination and would try to start up from the disk again.

What about running the self test? Open Apple-Closed Apple-Ctrl-Reset.

You know, I was just thinking that when I looked at the on-screen message. I was like "ProDOS? WTF?! I didn't think there was a DOS ROM in an Apple II".

The only cards that I know of being in there are just an 80 column/RAM card and the disk drive controller.

This is pretty freaky alright!

If you start it up with no disk in the disk drive and hit Ctrl-Reset without the Apple keys, it should drop into Applesoft BASIC without any support for the disk drive. Does that work? You said you push Ctrl-Open Apple-Reset but that is the reboot combination and would try to start up from the disk again.

What about running the self test? Open Apple-Closed Apple-Ctrl-Reset.

I did run the self test. It seemed pleased with itself.

However, I followed that with the CTRL OpenApple Reset combo, so maybe that wasn't a good idea.

I'll try just CTRL Reset and see what happens.

Just how long can an Apple retain fragments of data in RAM when the powered off?

I did run the self test. It seemed pleased with itself.

However, I followed that with the CTRL OpenApple Reset combo, so maybe that wasn't a good idea.

I'll try just CTRL Reset and see what happens.

Just how long can an Apple retain fragments of data in RAM when the powered off?

Yes, I missed that. CTRL + APPLE + RESET reboot the entire system. It will start spinning the boot drive, etc. You can do that until you are blue in the face and it won't drop into BASIC.

CTRL + RESET from the Apple //e screen is what will give you BASIC.

Not sure, but it sounds like your RAM still had not cleared yet. You aren't suppose to flip the power on an Apple II off and on again. It warns against it in the user guides. I think it takes like 30 seconds for RAM to fully clear, maybe more..

Yes, I missed that. CTRL + APPLE + RESET reboot the entire system. It will start spinning the boot drive, etc. You can do that until you are blue in the face and it won't drop into BASIC.

CTRL + RESET from the Apple //e screen is what will give you BASIC.

Not sure, but it sounds like your RAM still had not cleared yet. You aren't suppose to flip the power on an Apple II off and on again. It warns against it in the user guides. I think it takes like 30 seconds for RAM to fully clear, maybe more..

That's likely what it was.

I think I only waited about 10 seconds.