IGNORED

AtariMax?

Bikerbob

Hi,

I don´t want to discuss such silly things... Steven always provided good service and friendly answers to me - since years.

The people talking "bad" here... ever thought about the possibility of technical problems? I searched the AtariMax forum and found within 45 seconds (!) threads regarding the same "problem" and Steven answers quickly with an alternative email address: atarimax@gmail.com

So maybe trying there...

Jurgen

I for one Jurgen have emailed both. Hey I am just hoping he is alright.. its a hobby I will be fine, a bit disappointed as I mentioned in the above post.. but ill live. Steve was always pretty good with me as well, and I dont have YEARS dealing with him so when he went dark thats what got me to start the thread because I wondered what was up.

James

• Like 1

ehm..

i like modern support.. replying to emails (in 5 minutes - yes, in 2017 normal).. so..

so ... it still hurts ?

I'm very sorry about that.

May I suggest, you simply should not

buy things from Steve anymore ?

As you already mentioned a couple of

times, you know other, much better stores!

Stefan

So it was clearly on the way, and it's all good... 5 minute online response from who? I don't get that on amazon or ebay...

In any event check spam folders and such, my internet provider once blocked spam at their mail server.... and it wasn't spam. no fun at all

Another happy end is reached.... the site is in need of attention but if your willing to dig just like here... you will find just about everything...

also there are really much worse sites selling Atari stuff.... just old plain text lists... links to no where... etc etc.. and they are selling new games on carts and such. Be careful because some of those distributors lose their minds over the slightest critical mention...and then you may get pages of flame material. Classics/Steve/Atarimax does not do that sort of thing at all.. thankfully.

Now you can enjoy all kinds of Atari related materials online and offline.... it's a nice software set.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thought I would chime in and share my experience. I bought an Atari 8-bit USB programmer and 1MB flash cartridge on April 15 from him. His site advertised next day shipping and his products seemed to have really good reviews online. I was a little concerned because this was my first time buying from Atarimax and I didn't receive any confirmation of shipping or follow-up emails after an invoice for purchasing. I ended up sending him an email that weekend and he wrote me back a few days later saying he had some issues with production and would be shipping it out on Monday. Although he did send a tracking number, it hasn't updated from pre-shipment, which means it hasn't made it to the post office yet.

I Googled "Atarimax reviews" and came across this thread. I had no idea that he had health issues. I really feel for him for whatever he is going through. I also kind of feel somewhat weird knowing that information because it's somewhat personal, but I understand the delay a little more now and I'm hopeful that he will still make good on my order. Despite those issues, he still seems to be a huge asset to the Atari community and his products all seem to be well-regarded. I will continue to be patient.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slight bump but I was thinking of getting one of these. Am I reading this right and I need the USB cart programmers kit or the 8 meg flash cart or both? I'm confused as to what i need.

Is all you need is the Studio software installed Windows PC. Make your Rom and save as an ATR then with cartridge installed in cartridge slot load ATR in D1: and boot.

Follow prompts.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=855

Edited by rdea6

Yea sorry you're going to have to dumb it down for me, which cart do I need in addition to the software? The flash cart or the usb cart? What is ATR and what is D1? Drive 1? I don't know the lingo. I just want to know the easiest way to get roms in a flash cart to play games like Mr. Do, for example, on my 800XL

Yea sorry you're going to have to dumb it down for me, which cart do I need in addition to the software? The flash cart or the usb cart? What is ATR and what is D1? Drive 1? I don't know the lingo. I just want to know the easiest way to get roms in a flash cart to play games like Mr. Do, for example, on my 800XL

Actually, that's probably one of the few things from him I don't have yet, and I'd be interested in a walkthrough too.... (in exchange, anyone need a walkthrough on how to set up vintage machines to access telnet BBSs?) ;)

The Maxflash programmer kit would consist of the cartridge with USB cable to connect to a PC - this red cart looks like a regular Atarimax 8mbit flash cart - except it has a bus into which you can attach/plug a regular Atarimax (blank) 8mbit flash cart to.

The Maxflash Cartridge Studio software - that runs on a PC can seem a bit confusing at first - but once you start writing/programming/flashing your first 8mbit flash cart - it will seem to be straightforward - from the many options available.

There are loads of example compiliations from the Atarimax forums - you can make use of - and it's simple to delete any particular games you do not care to run/test and insert some later titles, etc from the likes of Atariage or Atarimania, etc etc.

For non-techies - it's not that hard to get use to. You can't do anything destructive/etc if you choose the wrong option - I would guess this is the case - as it would be no different from getting use to how a disk drive works - except it is a little bit different.

The difference going with Atarimax - is that you want to purchase about half a dozen or whatever blank Atarimax 8mbit flash carts that would become your library of games - versus a SDcard cart system - in which building your library would be far cheaper - seeing SDcards have been dropping in price as the years go by.

I have not tried anything other than Atarimax carts - so I can't say it is far simpler going the other route?

Harvey

The usb based programmer/reader makes things super fast and super easy....

but as was explained, you can use your Atari itself to do the programming of the cartridges (currently 1 and 8 megabit)... The studio software to do so is free and complete....

and in fact I usually just use the Atari to do it these days anyway... but I am spoiled and have the images in super fast hard/ram drives... makes it so much faster than using a floppy.... although it looks like a number people are still using the sio2usb and ape at fast speeds to run the flasher and program the carts..

Thought I would chime in and share my experience. I bought an Atari 8-bit USB programmer and 1MB flash cartridge on April 15 from him. His site advertised next day shipping and his products seemed to have really good reviews online. I was a little concerned because this was my first time buying from Atarimax and I didn't receive any confirmation of shipping or follow-up emails after an invoice for purchasing. I ended up sending him an email that weekend and he wrote me back a few days later saying he had some issues with production and would be shipping it out on Monday. Although he did send a tracking number, it hasn't updated from pre-shipment, which means it hasn't made it to the post office yet.

I Googled "Atarimax reviews" and came across this thread. I had no idea that he had health issues. I really feel for him for whatever he is going through. I also kind of feel somewhat weird knowing that information because it's somewhat personal, but I understand the delay a little more now and I'm hopeful that he will still make good on my order. Despite those issues, he still seems to be a huge asset to the Atari community and his products all seem to be well-regarded. I will continue to be patient.

Just curious where you saw the "next day shipping?" I see "free shipping" on many of the pages, but didn't run across "next day."

-Larry

The usb based programmer/reader makes things super fast and super easy....

but as was explained, you can use your Atari itself to do the programming of the cartridges (currently 1 and 8 megabit)... The studio software to do so is free and complete....

and in fact I usually just use the Atari to do it these days anyway... but I am spoiled and have the images in super fast hard/ram drives... makes it so much faster than using a floppy.... although it looks like a number people are still using the sio2usb and ape at fast speeds to run the flasher and program the carts..

I guess where I'm confused is HOW does the Atari hook up to the PC if I only have an 8bit flashcart? Is there an actual flash card slot built into the cart and you just swap it from your pc to the 8meg cart? A video I watched yesterday seemed to indicate I needed both the flash cart and the usb cart for it to work.

I guess where I'm confused is HOW does the Atari hook up to the PC if I only have an 8bit flashcart? Is there an actual flash card slot built into the cart and you just swap it from your pc to the 8meg cart? A video I watched yesterday seemed to indicate I needed both the flash cart and the usb cart for it to work.

You would need an SIO to PC or SD type device to use the ATR programming technique. You should read the first post of the thread link below if you are not familiar with the various SIO options that are available. The USB programmer from Atarimax is the simplest option in my opinion. I purchased an Ultimate SD cart recently and I prefer it to the Atarimax solution. No programmer is required. Just put the files you want to load on and SD cart and use the carts built in menu.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/?do=findComment&comment=2199612

• Like 1

You would need an SIO to PC or SD type device to use the ATR programming technique. You should read the first post of the thread link below if you are not familiar with the various SIO options that are available. The USB programmer from Atarimax is the simplest option in my opinion. I purchased an Ultimate SD cart recently and I prefer it to the Atarimax solution. No programmer is required. Just put the files you want to load on and SD cart and use the carts built in menu.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/?do=findComment&comment=2199612

Thanks I may just get the USB programmer. It looks similar to Drivewire for the Tandy Coco, which I'm familiar with.The Ultimate SD looks great but apparently I missed the latest run of them and it doesn't look like anymore are being made.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I hate to open old wounds. I placed an order with Steve. He takes a while to ship, but products are great. My issue is I ordered an APE and ProSystem v3.0.2 for Windows. But i ordered a APE Warp+ 32-in-1 OS Upgrade for XL/XE Computers instead. Which I all ready have. I emailed him several times a out the miss order an no response.