IGNORED

Pick my next computer! TI-99/4A or Tandy CoCo 3

Tandy CoCo 3 v. Ti-99/4A  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which computer should I get next?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't worry too much about the second joystick buttons. In fact I can't even think of a single game that would use a second button on the Color Computer.

Really? I thought a few CoCo 3 games made use of it (like Super Pitfall)?

I'm from the Coco community so I'll try to make a case.

Many peripherals were developed over the last few years, notably:

- the miniMPI, which allows 2 cartridges to be inserted at the same time

- the cocoSDC, which replaces a drive controller with a SD card reader

- various VGA video adapters

- joystick and keyboard adapters

- hi-res mouse adapter

- a cartridge with an integrated 8-bit audio chip is being developed; games on cart will have better music and sounds

- a better 512kb memory expansion board which generates much less heat

- replacing the Motorola 6809 with a Hitachi 6309, which allows additional opcodes, and paves the way for more efficient programs

- drivewire, which allows you to connect your Coco to your PC through a serial-to-USB cable, for file access and lots of other functionalities

- the hardware community is very active and is actually gaining momentum

On the software side, lots of projects as well:

- homebrew games such as Popstar*Pilot, which looks gorgeous

- Fahrfall, first physical cartridge game to be made in the 21th century!

- NitrOS9, an OS9 distribution with lots of recent improvements, manages up to 2mb RAM, runs multiple programs simultaneously

- text editors, file managers, etc., for OS9

- Donkey Kong Remastered, which takes the actual arcade code and ports it to the Coco3 while adding new levels

- music trackers using the 6-bit DAC

- my own homebrew game project (Kaboomerang Kim), which is still under development but looks promising

- many projects and programming challenges in the community

- most projects target the vanilla Coco2 or Coco3 (128kb or 512kb) which means any physical machine or emulator will run them

Events

- The annual CocoFest in Chicago, after a few "calmer" years, is getting more popular

- Tandy Assembly event in October 2017

- Coco/Dragon events in Europe

- etc.

Tools

- The LWASM suite makes it easy to compile 6809 and 6309 code

- Lots of documentation online, including modern reference materials in PDF

- A cocoSDC distribution which contains pretty much everything ever released for the Coco

- Three emulators actively maintained: VCC, MAME/MESS and Xroar

People

- many Coco enthusiasts, dubbed "coco-nuts", are very active online

- 2 series of podcasts covering lots of subjects and letting people participate live

- some of the iconic/legendary developers drop by from time to time

ps: A video showing recent developments in my game project Kaboomerang Kim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshlysHbai0

Kaboomerang Kim looks awesome!

Rampage uses two buttons as well and is a very good port IMO.

Neil and John's Genesis to Coco adapter is fantastic. I did a video about my experience

Very cool review video. You have a classic DJ voice.

I'm glad to hear that more people are making these adapters these days.

What I'd love to see is an adapter that allows both digital and analog controllers to be plugged in at the same time with a switching system that kicks in when you press a fire button. That way, there'd be no more unplugging and plugging when you change from a game that works great with the Atari-style controllers to one that's better on the analog controllers.

• Like 1

Voted for the coco. I have 128k coc03 and 512k coco3 and the games being made to take advantage of 512k are awesome. Just look at Donkey Kong port that was done years ago, it looks just like the arcade. There is gentleman working on pac-man game that looks just like arcade as well. Then have healthy homebrew scene, but most of coconuts do tend to be on coco mailing list or facebook page, but very active community. Lots of sd card virtual disk drive options the newest has sdexplorer load program which is menued based, so don't have to remember any basic commands to load software. In the end each system has its pros and cons and thank you be happy no matter what you choose.

Edited by lumbee74

I've been trying to get dskini to work and make real disks for my CoCo but the CoCo doesn't seem to be able to read them for some reason. I'm starting to think I might have to get a cocoSDC, but I can't find anyone selling those anymore.

I've been trying to get dskini to work and make real disks for my CoCo but the CoCo doesn't seem to be able to read them for some reason. I'm starting to think I might have to get a cocoSDC, but I can't find anyone selling those anymore.

If your on Facebook the guy who makes them frequents the CoCo group

Rampage uses two buttons as well and is a very good port IMO.

Neil and John's Genesis to Coco adapter is fantastic. I did a video about my experience

I got one of these SEGA Color Computer 3 joystick adapters recently. It rocks!

And in the process of testing it, I noticed that Gantelet II has a two-button option.

• Like 1

I got one of these SEGA Color Computer 3 joystick adapters recently. It rocks!

And in the process of testing it, I noticed that Gantelet II has a two-button option.

My adapter is in the mail (probably being held up at the boarder). :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Asking the community to hand in feasibility studies and decide which old computer that you have no connection to you should buy? Sorry, but pick for yourself.

So.... I'll let AtariAge decide.

Which computer should I get next? Ti-99/4A or Tandy CoCo 3?

Please give your precise reasons why, keeping in consideration.

• Cost
  • Availability of accessories/peripherals
  • Modern enhancements
  • Game Library
  • Community Support
  • other stuff

Thank you!

Asking the community to hand in feasibility studies and decide which old computer that you have no connection to you should buy? Sorry, but pick for yourself.

You bumped an old thread just to be unhelpful? You must be fun at parties...

• Like 2

The last post in this thread was less than 3 weeks ago. Hardly old. C'mon I was criticizing the post, not insulting the poster personally. This is unlike the crack you reserved for me about being fun at parties. I would not call an ad-hominem particularly helpful.

You bumped an old thread just to be unhelpful? You must be fun at parties...

Edited by polyex

The last post in this thread was less than 3 weeks ago. Hardly old. C'mon I was criticizing the post, not insulting the poster personally. This is unlike the crack you reserved for me about being fun at parties. I would not call an ad-hominem particularly helpful.

The OP was interested in both of these systems and wanted to get a discussion going to learn more about them before deciding on a purchase. The thread was successful on that count, and also proved informative and interesting to several other the participants as well. An overall benefit to the community.

Then you went out of your way to essentially flip the OP the bird when, upon deciding you weren't interested in participating, you could have said nothing and moved along.

175x175bb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm a TI enthusiast and it was my first computer. However, if I had the room I'd probably look into the Apple ][+ or CP/M machines if I was going to focus on new vintage gear, I moved on from the TI, to the C64, to the Apple ][+ (well, a Syscon), and then a proper ][e before making the jump to IBM compatible gear. I think you'll have fun no matter which computer you choose.

Lol! Some people are too much, am I right?

Anyway, it turns out my next computer was a Tandy CoCo2! A friend of mine traded it to me along with a few other things for an extra Apple //e I had laying around.

I've got no peripherals, carts, or games. So far I've been able to boot up to a very noisy BASIC interface. It looks promising, but man that RF signal is pretty noisy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What we should do is to find 5 people with general computer interest, but no experience of any 8-bit system. Then we should hand them one system each and see how far they get with online documentation, user groups, software, transfer solutions and more. Check back after 2 months and see who are still getting anywhere and who have already given up.