IGNORED

Which of these buttons says "Atari!" to you?

hizzy

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally building a custom joystick for my 2600/7800. I'm trying to capture some of the iconic elements of the old Atari sticks, so I've been looking at the CX-10 and the CX-40. It's funny, but I have a hard time pinning down the color of the joystick button. Sometimes, the button looks orange. Other times, it looks red. I'm curious to ask: What do other people see it as? Below, I have attached some pictures of the buttons that I think could be a good fit for my stick. Which one of them says "Atari" to you?

Thanks for your feedback!!

h

post-44563-0-53118700-1491518288_thumb.jpg

post-44563-0-65429700-1491518296_thumb.jpg

post-44563-0-28623100-1491518305_thumb.jpg

post-44563-0-12043000-1491518316_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally building a custom joystick for my 2600/7800. I'm trying to capture some of the iconic elements of the old Atari sticks, so I've been looking at the CX-10 and the CX-40. It's funny, but I have a hard time pinning down the color of the joystick button. Sometimes, the button looks orange. Other times, it looks red. I'm curious to ask: What do other people see it as? Below, I have attached some pictures of the buttons that I think could be a good fit for my stick. Which one of them says "Atari" to you?

h

Oh man, It's between 1 & 4 for me, but they all look good. that's a tough one!

Number one is probably the closest in color the to cx-40 but personally I like #2. The whole atari dotted line around the joystick handle is a nice orange color and that would match nicely instead of dropping a "reddish" button there. Just my opinion though.
Do post pics when you finish :)

• Like 1

1 and 4 are basically the same, but with a different method of mounting. One has a screw-back while the other snaps in.

But yeah... 1 and 4 look Atari. It's up to you how you want it mounted.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! 1 is called "vermilion" and 4 is a straight red. They look similar to me, too :P

if its got to be 1 or 4 as the popular vote says I say not 1

not the color but the mounting style, whatever you try to clip a button in will be too thin which will spin and break wires eventually, or two thick, which will eventually hammer itself back out as you play

then there's drilling the hole, all drills and bits have wobble, bezel and nut is easiest unless you really really pay attention (though epoxy is an option)

Edited by Osgeld

If you're modding a CX10/40, then too red may be too red. This is my "NEStari" Stick where I hacked a NES controller into it so I can kick my son's ass at NES games. It was a bit challenging to make the second button hole, but patience patience patience. I'm currently waiting for some new mini switches like your number 2 above to make a 7800 controller the same way.

The second button is the actual button from a NES controller.

The black buttons are the start and select. They are the tiny radio shack ones.

I painted the dashes silver to be more "NESSY".

med_gallery_3653_1328_65941.jpg

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

h

Bottom left. FYI, it's preferable to use screw type buttons in custom enclosures. If your hole isn't perfect or the enclosure isn't a precise thickness, the snap ins will become loose or rotate in place. Screw type will form a secure connection every time, provided the control panel isn't too thick.

Happ/IL plunger style buttons use 28mm (1+1/8") holes and up to 3/4 inch thick panel.

Sanwa/Simitsu use 24mm (15/16") for small button and 30mm (1+3/16") for standard button. Screw types accept up to 6mm (1/4") panels. 1+3/16" bits are a very uncommon part in the US so you may order a metric 30mm online or a specialty 1+3/16" spade bit for "rain barrels."

I'd say none of the above, only because none of them are concave like the button on a CX-40. If you want a button that's really authentic looking and high performance I'd recommend buying two Industrias Lorenzo concave buttons, one black and one red. Take the plunger out of the red one, stick it in the barrel of the black one (which is very simple to do), add a nice 20g soft touch microswitch, and you're good to go. :)

39aagDg.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with Jin. Concave like the original. That color looks good on that Lorenzo as well. Sanwa do a snap-in SDM-20 button in various colors, including red. 20mm or just under under 13/16" overall width I believe.

post-52250-0-09129900-1491559853_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! The concave button never occurred to me. I looked at Japanese buttons because I like their responsiveness, but I will try the IL buttons, too! For button size, I was leaning towards a 30mm button. I thought more surface area would help in games which require quick hits of the button.

It's interesting to see how people interpret color. I thought a red button wouldn't be popular at all. Did Atari change button color over the years?

Thanks!! :)

Edited by hizzy