IGNORED

Atari Sealed Obscure Games Valuations

I have a few titles that I am looking for valuations on with a view to potentially selling some. I have been struggling to find examples of some of them so could do with some guidance!

Please move this elsewhere if there is a more appropriate place for it to be posted

Bug Off by Sparky Starks - Atari 32k disk - sealed

lT87tXQ.jpg

Chicken - Synapse Software - Sealed

b23HFRd.jpg

Dodge Racer - Synapse Software - Sealed

gdUyNU5.jpg

Ghost Town - Scott Adams - Adventure International - Tape

JfO2Oxd.jpg

Jawbreaker - On-Line Systems - Sealed - Disk

4PRpXaq.jpg

Jerry Whites Music Lessons - Swiftware - Sealed

hJpcHgL.jpg

You, and anyone buying, should assume nothing is ever factory sealed. Ever. Shrink wrap machines are stupid cheap and a few practice attempts will result in something perfect. The same goes for anything 'sealed' with a sticker. A few minutes with a heat gun and you've opened and closed it with no visible signs.

• Like 2

You, and anyone buying, should assume nothing is ever factory sealed. Ever. Shrink wrap machines are stupid cheap and a few practice attempts will result in something perfect. The same goes for anything 'sealed' with a sticker. A few minutes with a heat gun and you've opened and closed it with no visible signs.

So if that's true (which I don't doubt), what would make a sealed item anymore valuable? Seems like the proof of authenticity would be difficult, if not impossible to verify. Any ideas on how this could be proven?

I for one could never buy something and leave it sealed in a box for my entire life. It would kill me not to know what condition it is in, and/or if it actually worked. But to each his own :)

- Michael

• Like 1

I never purchase anything specifically shrink wrapped, but every now and again one comes to me in a lot... Nothing like a waft of nostalgia as you peel back that wrapper, plus points if it's old and yellowed :D

As for the OP seems he has disappeared. I was going to try and help him but oh well

It's not what he wanted to hear.. ebay was calling... pt barnum thinking hit a wall? wanted dinner? is on the be back bus? only works a couple of days a week? Who knows...

... that being said many items ship direct without shrink wrap.. retailers insert tags and items or put a security item in or on it then shrink wraps it.. even way back when... a way to identify if it was even theirs (to prevent swapping and switching), secure marks.

Shrink wrap can sometimes indicate age but the condition of the box and contents is what should matter. Just like comics, cards etc etc..

Just to add to the conversation...

Although people will try to fake anything, something like this is nearly unmistakeable (the particular circumstances make it even more so) and would be very tough, if not impossible, to reproduce.

I suppose there could still be a chance this isn't the original seal, as it could have been resealed by a business selling them back in the day. But the chances are slim.

[Edit: I'll add, one should always get as much information as possible, especially when the asking price is higher.]

post-6369-0-01521800-1492041705_thumb.jpg post-6369-0-49516900-1492041720_thumb.jpg

post-6369-0-85248400-1492041709_thumb.jpg post-6369-0-33494500-1492041715_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrFish

• 3 months later...

I'd rather know it worked than have a sealed version, too open to bending the rules.

Its like buying an iPad in a box from someone at a petrol station...

As for the OP, didn't even bother to answer a question about his software, more keen on seeing what folks are willing to pay...Not what I call a good sign..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I never purchase anything specifically shrink wrapped, but every now and again one comes to me in a lot... Nothing like a waft of nostalgia as you peel back that wrapper, plus points if it's old and yellowed :D

As for the OP seems he has disappeared. I was going to try and help him but oh well

The best "game smell" always came from Infocom boxes. I have no idea what they did, but even today, all of my boxes have that "Infocom" smell. None of my games from other companies have that aroma. :)

As for the OP, didn't even bother to answer a question about his software, more keen on seeing what folks are willing to pay...Not what I call a good sign..

Or maybe I had more serious matters to attend to, you would think If i was 'more keen on seeing what folks are willing to pay' then I would be answering questions about my software not the other way round :)

Don't be so quick to judge, did you take the time to look back through my post history?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/195987-gone-atari-2600-game-boxes-and-manuals-free-to-a-good-home/

It's not like I have never given back to the community now is it?

Edited by CircuitChief42

One, I don't read the 2600 section and 2. that's not the point, you started a thread and were asked a question in April, and then didn't return to the thread until July and then STILL didn't answer the question.

Its just a matter of civility...You started the thread...

Its nice you gave some boxes away but has no relation to this thread, If you bother to read the thread it LOOKS like you are just after cash idea's and ignored posts....Not good netiquette..

Good luck with the games, hopefully they work...