IGNORED

MSX vs Atari 800 Vs ZX spectrum/BBC nicro

okay, so i've tried to program in 68k, machine language ,Commodore BASIC, short for "Begin again until you snap and end p in Intensive care", Atari basic, Sinclair basic (best i've programmed in so far) a new version for genesis development called Second Basic, Bloodshed Dev C++ (which is a piece of $h!t) python, a bit of javascript and Basiegaxorz (official name, piece of shit software, everything, EVERYTHING, is static, non flexible and hard to get working)

okay, so i've tried to program in 68k, machine language ,Commodore BASIC, short for "Begin again until you snap and end p in Intensive care", Atari basic, Sinclair basic (best i've programmed in so far) a new version for genesis development called Second Basic, Bloodshed Dev C++ (which is a piece of $h!t) python, a bit of javascript and Basiegaxorz (official name, piece of shit software, everything, EVERYTHING, is static, non flexible and hard to get working)

What do you want to tell us?

Can you present any results?

• Like 1

I thought Second Basic was the direct successor to Basiegaxorz.

I'll agree that Sinclair Basic has a few pros (but plenty of cons too) versus various Microsoft Basic dialects. Good that you liked it. I've released three crap games for the Speccy this year, although the last one hasn't been posted online yet.

I agree. Almost all computers up to the 1990s came with BASIC by default, which really encouraged you to do something with the computer. I mean, I totally understand why a de facto programming environment was pulled from computing environments once they well and truly went mainstream, but there was definitely a little something lost when the switch was made. Of course, with that said, despite having to put in a little effort with finding and installing, the array of free or low cost programming languages, programming environments, and guided design software is truly staggering. Despite none of those being included by default with a new computing device, the possibilities and power are far greater than was ever present in good old BASIC, more akin to the Assembly/Machine Language that was more out of reach for the average person in BASIC's personal computing heyday.

True but qbasic on dos et al was always there?

• 11 months later...

I always like to see any exceptional game done on any computer - that is unusual for that system - showing programming that you did not think was possible on it - or any unique game worth checking out - not seen elsewhere...

For the BBC - there's the vertical shooter - Firetrack - very smooth vertical scrolling - nice use of colours. Sprites not smooth - but what do you expect?

This old game has an updated version - White Light - released about a year ago? But can't seem to see much of it - though I haven't tried very hard in a search for it...

Here's a video of Firetrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bxdd2_qrpg

There is a conversion of this for the C-64 - which shows smoother sprites - which is what you expect.

But the colour palette choice is not so hot - though one? level looks very good.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...