IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

I don't think they have announced the supported systems yet but one of Atari Age's best programmers is working on it. My understanding is that he had no idea of anything behind the problems with Coleco and the homebrew scene before taking the job.

What he said!

Can you guys please try to not get him\her involved and leave the game out of this? All it does is sabotage the programmer in the end.

• Like 3

That makes even less sense to me.

Not sure what is the surprise. The ColecoVision is as alien to them as any other system. They didn't create anything, so they will pick whatever is easier for them to work with.

• Like 1

They'll get there eventually, they have resources the community does not.

No they won't. They really don't have the resources otherwise they wouldn't look for homebrewers to do all the work for free and then give them a cut of the profits after any sales. Why do that when any homebrewer can make the games anyway and keep all the profits?

Seriously, what have we seen so far? What is the actual Coleco Holdings staff? Cradillo, Fred, the girls in the video, the other 21yo "representative" girl. And a couple of AA homebrewers. Doesn't look like a resourceful "company" to me.

• Like 1

No they won't. They really don't have the resources otherwise they wouldn't look for homebrewers to do all the work for free and then give them a cut of the profits after any sales. Why do that when any homebrewer can make the games anyway and keep all the profits?

Glad someone can see that.

• Like 1

I'm sure Coleco has a license with Hallmark for the game given it states "officially licensed" right in the announcement on Facebook. Probably just a mistake on Hallmark's part. I would not read much into it

..Al

Actually, they were stupid enough to link to an episode someone put on youtube and Hallmark must have complained to youtube about the content posted there. This complaint would not have been against you know who but against whomever posted it to youtube.

• Like 1

So I watched the video on the coleco website. He says "thats what she said"

And later "I bet he made his girlfriend happy"

Not kid friendly things like I thought the coleco was going to stand for.

Ok going to take a cold shower I am so offened. Wash this filth off.

So what is the actual coleco website? I go to coleco.com all I see is a picture of a flashback and you cannot do anything.

Read through these two posts, Chris. Is it not clear to you yet that you have ZERO support from anyone in this community? You have now alienated everyone. It's actually impressive.

I have never owned a Coleco video game product. I became most aware of the brand during the controversy of 2015/2016 involving the RetroVGS/ColecoChameleon. I learned of that from the Pat the NES Punk Podcast. I knew ColecoVision had existed during the early 80's 2600 days. I obtained an Intellivision in the last couple years from a friend that knew I was into retro gaming. After researching the ColecoVision, I became interested in owning one with the Donkey Kong pack-in because I am a Nintendo fanboy first and foremost. I had liked the Coleco facebook page because of Coleco Holdings stance when the Chameleon was proven to be fraudulent. I thought it was great that the company had stood up to Mike Kennedy's scamming actions. I was considering getting the ColecoVision flashback until I could get an original ColecoVision and the Donkey Kong game for it. I was excited for Coleco Holdings promises of reintroducing the Coleco Arcade table top games.

NOW...I still want an original ColecoVision and Donkey Kong cart. I want to check out many of the homebrew games (including unlicensed arcade ports). I am very interested in the Prometheus project. I am NOT interested in Coleco. I am NOT interested in the ColecoVision Flashback. I am NOT interested in any future Arcade table tops bearing Coleco logos.

The quote above rings very true for this retro gaming enthusiast who has only just gained interest in the Coleco brand in the last 2-3 years.

• Like 2

What's infuriating about this guy is he's not actually creating anything. Any follower of this industry knows it celebrates the creator - from the little homebrew guy, to the small indie team, and even to the huge AAA houses - it's all about the creators.

This is why Activision came into existence. Atari didn't appreciate creators. And Activision went on to make some of the best games of the era for any consoles.

• Like 1

Talking about soap opera, here is some. Man, it was an emotional rollercoaster all the way through. I laughed, then I felt really embarrassed for the poor girls. Quite a gamut of emotions in such a short video.

Btw, hope the girls got paid...

Have you seen J. Fountaine's rap videos? 100% beauty over brains, every time... :P

*Disclaimer: I have nothing personal against the ladies in the video. I hope they were paid well and treated with utmost respect during the filming of the video...

PS... I'm a 36 year old dude. Where do I sign up to get my Coleco Girl Scout Fun Patch? :rolling:

PPS... Any New Jersey AAers should team up and attend flash mob style, print expose flyers pointing to this thread, and spread them around at the expo. Oh crap, this was s'posed to be a secret. Anyway, smell you laters fellow haters!

• Like 1

I have never owned a Coleco video game product. I became most aware of the brand during the controversy of 2015/2016 involving the RetroVGS/ColecoChameleon. I learned of that from the Pat the NES Punk Podcast. I knew ColecoVision had existed during the early 80's 2600 days. I obtained an Intellivision in the last couple years from a friend that knew I was into retro gaming. After researching the ColecoVision, I became interested in owning one with the Donkey Kong pack-in because I am a Nintendo fanboy first and foremost. I had liked the Coleco facebook page because of Coleco Holdings stance when the Chameleon was proven to be fraudulent. I thought it was great that the company had stood up to Mike Kennedy's scamming actions. I was considering getting the ColecoVision flashback until I could get an original ColecoVision and the Donkey Kong game for it. I was excited for Coleco Holdings promises of reintroducing the Coleco Arcade table top games.

NOW...I still want an original ColecoVision and Donkey Kong cart. I want to check out many of the homebrew games (including unlicensed arcade ports). I am very interested in the Prometheus project. I am NOT interested in Coleco. I am NOT interested in the ColecoVision Flashback. I am NOT interested in any future Arcade table tops bearing Coleco logos.

The quote above rings very true for this retro gaming enthusiast who has only just gained interest in the Coleco brand in the last 2-3 years.

If it were announced that the next coleco flashback was going to have an SD card slot, cartridge slot(or even just ability to add one yourself with solder points like the atari flashback 2) I probably wouldn't buy it now(as much as I've been wanting one with those options) knowing how they've done.

• Like 1

This is about recent news but is mostly apolitical. New printers put a nearly-hidden timestamp and serial number code on everything they print. The article also broaches the counterfeit money issue, saying it both reads a complex nearly-hidden code and will print the timestamp/SN code on the fake bills.

http://blog.erratasec.com/2017/06/how-intercept-outed-reality-winner.html

You know, for years I have loathed the appearance of ugly yellow specks in color photos I've printed on inkjet printers. Now I know it's not just a bad dithering algorithm but the government deliberately degrading the image quality of our printers. I wonder if pro level art printing technology, ie Gicle prints and others, are also susceptible.

Man, I don't have a single bone in this argument, and I've never owned a ColecoVision or Adam in my life (although I'm seriously considering Project Prometheus -- hope that doesn't turn into vaporware!), but...all this garbage is yet another reason I left the Jersey shore eleven years ago.

That and there really wasn't much left after Snookie and Hurricane Sandy left their mark. But it was mostly Snookie's fault.

My appologies to anyone affected by a hurricane. I should know, I live in Louisiana.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with their stated business model, the example I have used is PBR, Pabst went from a national brand to essentially gone yet it returned as a popular brand served nationwide, you see PBR shirts now and even Stern pinball created a PBR themed pin! Imagine if you bought the brand for a song when it was down and were able to craft that return? I think it is an interesting business idea, albeit a risky one. Buying and restoring distressed brands can be done without patent or copyright trolling.

Apples to Orange comparison I think. The revival of Pabst was more akin to Atari being bought out. The ale being failed and revived just sounds like another corporate takeover to me, just like Mother's Cookies, Archway, Hostess, et al. More info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Blue_Ribbon#Peak.2C_decline.2C_and_revival

I seriously doubt Coleco can just reenter the market 30 years later given the climate of modern game companies. Coleco/RWB is a trademark troll. Prior to the purchase, Coleco name wasn't dead, it was extinct. All profitable assets, Cabbage Patch dolls, et al, were spun off a long time ago. RWB current takeover would be akin to buying out Pabst Blue Ribbon Ale without the original brewing recipe, then trying to steal new beer recipes from a homebrewers' convention.

It's that ludicrus.

This reminds me of the time when Google wanted forced everyone on YouTube to use Google Plus (+). Users, including myself, were extremely angry that someone would force something onto others they didn't want to use. Google finally realized (after a few years!!) it wasn't working. (I'm not surprised it took them that long to come to the realization it wasn't working even though people all over Youtube cried foul days after the forced Google + rule.)

It's the same way here by forcing others to do something one individual wants because of some trademark icon that can't be verified due to the lack of a symbol. When you force people to do something they don't want to do, because of a troll, you're going to get one hell of a backlash.

I remember this dark era... I couldn't even comment or reply to comments on my own videos for like two years as a result of this fiasco, but I could fortunately still upload content. I was extremely close to dumping youtube for dailymotion at one point. If they had blocked me from uploading videos, I would have left long ago... :roll: