IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

Cardillo doesn't seem to be embarrassed at all by the Chameleon fiasco. He's still shilling his NY Toy Fair brochure for $19.00 on eBay and describing it as "...a must have for all retro video game collectors":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-Chameleon-Brochure-Unused-Original-/311792377576?hash=item4898461ee8:g:KcEAAOSwUKxYkQbl

The brochure is full of ColecoTM's usual misrepresentations...it's difficult to read without cringing.

Wow! Holy crap! I had no idea he was selling these!!! This is beyond slimy and creepy! (Is that last sentence cyberbullying, Chris Cardillo? Because if you think having an opinion of something is considered cyberbullying then you probably need to do some research on what cyberbullying is.)

Take a look, it's all right there... even being sold under his own name.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 10.19.44.png

The best part though is the description of the item:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 10.20.17.jpg

The Coleco "come again" - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This comedy just keeps writing itself.

• Like 7

The brochure is full of ColecoTM's usual misrepresentations...it's difficult to read without cringing.

Good grief, I didn't cringe - I nearly vomited. The blatant lies in there are astounding and just another demonstration of the complete lack of morals that the individuals involved have.

• Like 1

Wow! Holy crap! I had no idea he was selling these!!! This is beyond slimy and creepy!

post-41816-0-75245800-1496240562_thumb.p

I dunno, maybe "in his own mind" with all of his self-created angst, he might figure he's making a market for these brochures because it's 'gaming history in the making'. (shuddering at the thought) Sad thing is, some gamers or collectors will buy ANYTHING no matter what it is, or how distasteful. Considering his track record, I have to wonder if those four that have already sold were actually purchased by him or his cronies to set the appearance of value.... or maybe I'm just too cynical.

• Like 1

Warning: the following is my opinion and my opinion only.

Hello again,

I've read the tweets, I've watched Pat's video, and I could not believe my eyes.

I may not word things well enough to express myself fully, but I assure you that I'm giving here my honnest reaction.

This situation is mental, beyond surreal, and I won't be surprised to see it eventually get the attention of the mainstream media.

Some may not like Pat's vlog, but perhaps it's not a good idea to go after him and try to censor his free speech. I won't suggest to fill DMCA claims about his video either. Going after a video blog, when you think about it, is overreacting and may cause more reputation damage than anything else.

The only reason why we see the ColecoVision scene active is because WE MADE IT ! We are fans, we have nostalgia, we dreamed about "what if the videogame crash never occured?" and we made it possible. Every talent, resource, and time spent (more than 2 decades) to make all this possible is precious and should be appreciated, cherished, not in peril.

To the world, the ColecoVision market is long dead; the brand has a place in videogame history and in the heart of the fans, and I don't know what the heck the actual brand owner is trying to accomplish.

Wanna use Coleco brand for something new? something big? Go for it! I would love to see a new generation of Coleco products.

I do understand some concerns and legal terms, and the fan page is fair use and should get an apology.

And if you think about it, perhaps it wasn't a good idea for anyone to acquire a brand name refering to a vintage videogame system without any prior research, plan or respect to the fans. Do you realise that some ColecoVision homebrew games refered in the complains were made way before 2005, the year RWB acquired the Coleco brand?

All this could have been avoided easily, and I really hope I'm not the only one to see it.

To Chris aka "Coleco Holding":

You are not, in any way, representing the fans and the company and games that we love.

In life, especially in the Internet, we are exposed to positive and negative feedbacks. And the way we react to the feedbacks shows what we are as a person.

You can do your expo with any brand name, but you selected this one and try to capitalize on the effort of the homebrew scene while putting it in jeopardy.

Please, don't fk with us anymore; you are not giving yourself a favor by doing so.

This situation shouldn't have occured and I hope you acknowledge it.

Regards,

Daniel Bienvenu

My friends,

We might not like or do the same things but friendship and respect was forged through time in this community, and that's beautiful.

I have my views about what should be done for our beloved vintage game system, and I think I've contributed positively to the games library and the homebrew scene in general, sharing my work for us to enjoy.

It's with regrets that I've decided to stop my ColecoVision activities during this turmoil time. I will focus on the ADAMCon convention (still time to register for it), and my life.

Continue to make our vision the ColecoVision that we want it to be, with our love and dreams!

I'm just a dreamer. I'm tired of this crap, feeling my energy sucked out of me the more I read about this, I'm going to bed.

Thank you so much to keep us informed, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bienvenu

aka NewColeco

aka The GodFather Coleco

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 14

Well said, Daniel! I'm just going to quote this part here because I feel like this is a very important statement:

The only reason why we see the ColecoVision scene active is because WE MADE IT ! We are fans, we have nostalgia, we dreamed about "what if the videogame crash never occurred?" and we made it possible. Every talent, resource, and time spent (more than 2 decades) to make all this possible is precious and should be appreciated, cherish, not in peril.

It would be great if Chris Cardillo could read that several times and actually understand what it means. I even made the font bigger so it would be easier to read. ;)

• Like 2

Holy crap...

"Get this Money" shows a Coleco controller in the box at 2:01..

Note: I did NOT watch the entire video.. I scrolled through and somehow noticed that.. ugh..

Cardillo must be so happy he's finally getting views on his rap videos!!! :D

• Like 2

Holy crap...

"Get this Money" shows a Coleco controller in the box at 2:01..

Note: I did NOT watch the entire video.. I scrolled through and somehow noticed that.. ugh..

Look at the money, unless i'm seeing it wrongly it looks Counterfeit

Cardillo has counterfeit US 20 dollar bills which is a felony under US law even if he doesn't pass it on to other people

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 2

attachicon.gif18818355_1473031966051237_307965708_o.png

Clearly counterfeit money which looks like scans of real bills

LOL it seems you're better off with real bills than making your own, if this is to be believed. Call the Secret Service!

https://www.moviemaker.com/archives/moviemaking/producing/cinema-law-can-i-film-u-s-currency/

You'd think they'd make more, to make the show shovel seem necessary. It looks like scrap paper in a rental truck as it is. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Look at the money, unless i'm seeing it wrongly it looks Counterfeit

Cardillo has counterfeit US 20 dollar bills which is a felony under US law even if he doesn't pass it on to other people

Speaking of that, I heard a story, not sure if it's true or not...

A guy goes out and buys a new all-in-one printer, hooks it up, fills out the registration, etc.

This printer is also internet capable and hooked to his router.

He sticks a $50.00 bill in for scanning, the printer will not scan it.. even after multiple attempts.

The next day Feds are knocking on his door about suspected counterfeiting activity.

Apparently his new printer told on him.

• Like 2

He seems to know and love G.I. JOE a lot more than old games. Maybe he should switch horses.

Remember when. Come again.

Simple as that

I'm kind of amazed that someone who is so concerned about MUH INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY has no problem selling G.I.Joe bootlegs produced by Black Major.

Hasbro doesn't get a dime from Black Major custom G.I.Joe figures. Why should Chris get money from the CV scene?

post-33776-0-03111000-1496261123_thumb.png

• Like 4

Real crime it is its 12 dollars for a fake GI Joe

Selling with a 19 dollar brochure of a disaster at a toy-fair with images of other people's trademarks and IP; doubt he even credited the other trademark owners

Plus he is loaded with thousands of dollars of counterfeit US bills

But god forbid someone doing a homebrew with nudity or porting abandonware

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 3

Cardillo's latest tweets leads readers to two websites promoting the so-called Expo. However, the poorly written text that Coleco Holdings has fed them is the same total misrepresentation that Coleco Holdings is the same company that produced the Cabbage Patch Kids and the ColecoVision. I'm sure these websites would be interested to know that this is a blatant lie to mislead the public.

post-5757-0-05077700-1496263462_thumb.png

post-5757-0-15311000-1496263474_thumb.png

Edited by Ikrananka

Real crime it is its 12 dollars for a fake GI Joe

If these are fakes or they are unlicensed then they can be reported to eBay.

Plus his description infringes eBay rules because he is promoting the Expo at the bottom of it. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to put his twitter account details there either.

Edited by Ikrananka

I'm kind of amazed that someone who is so concerned about MUH INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY has no problem selling G.I.Joe bootlegs produced by Black Major.

Wait, wait, wait, wait.... Hang on here. I don't know enough about this GI Joe thing but I'm doing some research. What I've seen so far is that these Black Major figures are custom made reproductions from new molds by a toy homebrewer. They are not licensed from Hasbro, Hasbro doesn't see a dime from the sale of them, and some of the figures even carry the "Hasbro" mark on them. Now I'm not trying to be all "two wrongs make a right" here, not at all. But if it turns out (and someone please help me research this) that Chris Cardillo is actually selling homebrew bootleg reproductions of GI Joe characters which are unlicensed from Hasbro while at the same time condemning the ColecoVision homebrew community for doing the same thing, that may make him the biggest hypocrite in the history of homebrew development!

Here is what I discovered from my limited research (and again if anyone else has more time to look into this to help back up this story, I'd greatly appreciate it!)

These are Chris Cardillo's auctions on eBay:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.29.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.30.24.png

"Based off Steel Brigade mold" - so this suggests this figure is a new mold based off an original Hasbro figure.

Here are additional auctions by Chris Cardillo for what appears to be more non-licensed homebrew Hasbro GI Joe figures:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.17.44.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.17.34.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.10.26.png

Here's a post I found on a message board discussing these figures and how they are worried that Hasbro may step in:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.20.27.png

Here's another post saying that the reproductions also include the Hasbro mark:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.21.07.png

Here's a description of another auction (Not Chris') talking about how these figures are made. I assume "near Hasbro quality" means that these are non-licensed figures modeled directly after the Hasbro figures.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.23.55.png

Again, I'm not trying to say that "two wrongs make a right" here or that Chris Cardillo as the manager of the Coleco brand should be looking the other way if someone is using the Coleco logos in ways they shouldn't be, but here's are the points I'm trying to make:

- How can someone be so hypocritical as to try to criticize homebrew developers for selling their products while he himself is guilty of doing the exact same thing.

- Shouldn't Chris Cardillo actually have a BETTER UNDERSTANDING of why the ColecoVision homebrew community produces the games they do if he is also collecting and selling homebrew items?

- And given those first two points, this shows even more than Chris Cardillo SHOULD KNOW BETTER than to go after a "fan site" and instead go directly to a homebrew publisher if he had an issue with the use of the Coleco brand.

I simply cannot shake my head or facepalm enough at this discovery.

• Like 5