IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

If there is one solid take-away from everything you just posted, it's this...

Cardillo really is an idiot.

Quoted multiples times because I could only LIKE that post once! :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Now they are simply using an anonymous account (shown as 2603:301B:21A3:8000:B04E:FAC8:EEBC:F191) to try and bypass this. Do they really think that Wikipedia editors haven't seen this behaviour before and know how to deal with it? Cardillo really is an idiot. Anyway, the change they made is shown below with the new text highlighted in blue replacing all of the Retro VGS related text.

That IPv6 address (in bold) is from Mount Laurel, NJ; coincidentally the home of Castle Windows.

post-39941-0-60050700-1526943252.jpg

• Like 2

Wow ! ! ! ! !

So Cardillo and his cronies are at it again trying to use the Coleco Industries, Inc. Wikipedia article to promote themselves and to advertise their "shit" for want of a better word. A few minutes ago an anonymous user deleted ALL references in the article to the Retro VGS and added in a whole load of crap about their so-called Expo and quite incredibly a promotional piece about their new mini arcades along with a link to their Kickstarter! Where do I start? Not only was the language used totally inappropriate for Wikipedia (e.g. very much marketing hype) but companies are actively discouraged to edit articles where there may be a conflict of interest. In fact, the ColecoToys user (read this as Cardillo or one of his cronies) were warned in May 2017 by one of the Wikipedia "moderators" that their editing of this article may have a conflict of interest and recommended that they submit any changes to a Wikipedia editor for proofreading. Needless to say the ColecoToys account was only ever used once more.

Now they are simply using an anonymous account (shown as 2603:301B:21A3:8000:B04E:FAC8:EEBC:F191) to try and bypass this. Do they really think that Wikipedia editors haven't seen this behaviour before and know how to deal with it? Cardillo really is an idiot. Anyway, the change they made is shown below with the new text highlighted in blue replacing all of the Retro VGS related text.

attachicon.gifColecoHoldings.png

Apart from their gall at trying to make these changes to the article when they have a clear conflict of interest, they also poured fuel on their fire of deceit and lies by adding the following text in the comment to their edit. The comment ends abruptly as they obviously didn't realise they had reached the character limit for comments. I'll leave you to react to this as appropriate.

"Coleco Statement- June 8, 2017 To Whom This May Concern, Recently our company, Coleco Holdings LLC (Coleco), has received a lot of criticism on the Internet based on a false statement by a blogger. Please note, Coleco DID NOT file a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) complaint against this blogger, or any other party. There is an important legal distinction between copyrights and trademarks, but the online commentary regarding this matter has confused this distinction, and s"

Anyway, it only took ONE MINUTE for another Wikipedia user to Undo their changes and put it back the way it was. Glad to know that I'm not the only one watching this article for vandalism.

Perhaps a coincidence, but yesterday an anonymous user from New Jersey vandalised the ColecoVision article, adding in the word "million" in the sentence describing the number of games available at launch. Needless to say I undid this.

And their attempted editing will live forever on the site, out of their dopey reach, as a monument to their asshattery. Here is a then-and-now clip for our local amusement.

post-2410-0-78095000-1526942675_thumb.png

Just when you thought the guy couldn't be more of an ass-hat.

Seriously! I don't want to give any advice that would help that hopeless jerk-store, but who says "To Whom This May Concern" when editing a Wikipedia article? Should have studied more, put in more effort.

• Like 5

Looks like they went after Tested, too:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2078743

Seeing as Cardillo is denying that they issued the DMCA notice on the Tested guys (aka the "bloggers" - LOL), has anyone tried to contact Tested about this. I would have thought that Thingverse would be obliged to tell Tested who issued the notice. Would be damning to have proof of Cardillo caught in his own lie.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Seeing as Cardillo is denying that they issued the DMCA notice on the Tested guys (aka the "bloggers" - LOL), has anyone tried to contact Tested about this. I would have thought that Thingverse would be obliged to tell Tested who issued the notice. Would be damning to have proof of Cardillo caught in his own lie.

Where did he say this?

In the edit history, where they attempt to erase their involvement in the Chameleon shitshow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MobileDiff/842346260

Oh, with the date being June 8, 2017, don't you think the "blogger" he's referring to is probably ME? :D Considering this thread was started May 17th, 2017 the timing is about right. I don't think the Thingverse or Tested claim was probably even known at that point? Or am I reading it wrong?

• Like 1

Heh, that's pretty sneaky to contribute and then pull out. My KS is wired to my FB in a way that would tell all my friends I was supporting this thing if I pledged, so I'm not going to do the same. Wouldn't want to send the wrong message or inadvertently get someone excited about this dumb thing.

"Expose Cardillo?" I don't get it. There's nothing underhanded about this particular campaign, is there? Is Bob D not being compensated for his work on the new RB game?

See, there is a benefit to not having your facebook login connected to every site you use. Or not having a Facebook login at all. Now noone knows what you're doing online... :ponder:

There is an important legal distinction between copyrights and trademarks, but the online commentary regarding this matter has confused this distinction

Always brings a laugh from the people that are unfairly using Trademarks and trade dress from Nintendo, Cabbage Patch Kids, Konami, Mattel, and Hasbro to promote their 2005 Company's, Video games and Toy line.

b8x2D3j.jpg

Lanham Act 43(a)

Any person who, on or in connection with any goods or services, or any container for goods, uses in commerce any word, term, name, symbol, or device, or any combination thereof, or any false designation of origin, false or misleading description of fact, or false or misleading representation of fact, which

(A) is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive [...] as to the origin, sponsorship, or approval of his or her goods, services, or commercial activities by another person, or

(B) in commercial advertising or promotion, misrepresents the nature, characteristics, qualities, or geographic origin of his or her or another person’s goods, services, or commercial activities,

shall be liable in a civil action by any person who believes that he or she is likely to be damaged by such an act.

Pretty much Sums up those companies can SUE

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 2

See, there is a benefit to not having your facebook login connected to every site you use. Or not having a Facebook login at all. Now noone knows what you're doing online... :ponder:

Not to worry, I set it all up deliberately and I know how to avoid trackers elsewhere. I like being connected to my friends. We all back a lot of interesting Kickstarter projects. This isn't one of them.

• Like 1

Oh, with the date being June 8, 2017, don't you think the "blogger" he's referring to is probably ME? :D Considering this thread was started May 17th, 2017 the timing is about right. I don't think the Thingverse or Tested claim was probably even known at that point? Or am I reading it wrong?

Hadn't noticed the date. So, he must have copy and pasted this uneducated bullshit about copyright and trademarks from last year. Why on Earth use that text and date when vandalising the Coleco article with adverts for CHL and his mini crapcades one year later? I really suspect he was referencing the recent surge in discussion and the Tested guys but accidentally hit the Publish button before editing the date and content of the comment. Highly likely when one considers that Cardillo is an idiot :-D

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 4

If not you, the date of the statement suggests that it could have been this blogger's entry : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-ownership-of-and-issues-with.html

That seems likely. The person who wrote that blog post is a user here. I'll leave it up to the Cardillo stooges to figure out "to whom it may concern."

Sigh... I hate how the meaning of a word can change over the years. There once was a time when stooges were funny and inept; now they're just inept.

If not you, the date of the statement suggests that it could have been this blogger's entry : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-ownership-of-and-issues-with.html

Loving your blog btw. I haven't read every article, but of the ones I have, each one seems well researched and written.

• 2 weeks later...

Coleco is looking for a mascot character according to a May 27 thread on their facebook page. Problem is they don't have rights to any of their iconic characters of the past, CPK included. The front-runners so far appear to be maybe a Calico cat or a Unicorn.