Sign in to follow this  
TangentAudio

Totally dead AtariArtist cart

I picked up a Touch Tablet full package for pretty cheap on Ebay, and it came with everything including the AtariArtist cart. Unfortunately I can't seem to get any life out of it whatsoever. Cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT D5, reflowed every solder connection, checked continuity on all traces, and tried in a couple different computers... nothing. Computer basically behaves like there is no cart installed. I can boot to DOS and try 'run cartridge' and get "No cartridge" back.

First time I've ever seen a cart failure like this, anyone else experienced this? I suppose it could have been used in an Atari with a failed power supply and the PROMs could be toast from over-volting, but I can't come up with many other likely scenarios.

I was able to find AtariArtist in ATR form and test out the tablet, but I'd still like to have a working cart for my collection. If I got ambitious I suppose I could just make one with EPROMs, but I'm not sure I'm that motivated.

I picked up a Touch Tablet full package for pretty cheap on Ebay, and it came with everything including the AtariArtist cart. Unfortunately I can't seem to get any life out of it whatsoever. Cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT D5, reflowed every solder connection, checked continuity on all traces, and tried in a couple different computers... nothing. Computer basically behaves like there is no cart installed. I can boot to DOS and try 'run cartridge' and get "No cartridge" back.

First time I've ever seen a cart failure like this, anyone else experienced this? I suppose it could have been used in an Atari with a failed power supply and the PROMs could be toast from over-volting, but I can't come up with many other likely scenarios.

I was able to find AtariArtist in ATR form and test out the tablet, but I'd still like to have a working cart for my collection. If I got ambitious I suppose I could just make one with EPROMs, but I'm not sure I'm that motivated.

That totally sucks! :( I don't have any dead A8 carts but I have one dead 2600 carts (out of nearly 200). ROMs just appear to have failed - microscopic corrosion or imperfection in the semiconductor crystals that grew over the years, I suppose.

Send me your address, I have a spare

And that's why this community is great. :)

• Like 1

Send me your address, I have a spare

True to his word, he sent me a spare, free of charge. Thanks for making AtariAge great, TT!

• Like 2