IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Ok, sadly we couldn't come to an agreement with Eduardo about the SGM compatibility with our console

That being said, we're NOT going to make any more SGM compatible games

Although, those who are buying our system will be able to ''hack'' their console and add the SGM compatibility (just like the Analogue SuperNT)

Man that's a shame...we are stronger together and united....I am bummed....

• Like 1

Ok, sadly we couldn't come to an agreement with Eduardo about the SGM compatibility with our console

Although, those who are buying our system will be able to ''hack'' their console and add the SGM compatibility (just like the Analogue SuperNT)

hacking to add sgm compatibility... you could be ban for talking like that...? seriously that suck that collectorvision and opcode cant come to a deal since you release a lot of ed games.. i think people who wanted a sgm had plenty of chance to get one and maybe another run before you release your console...i dont see where is the probleme since most of the sgm games are msx port and your console will be msx compatible and most of the new release for the sgm are from the msx dev so again msx port... only few programer did a sgm compatible game from scratch.. i only hope this will not cause a major problem in the colecovision sceen..cause you guys rock to keep the colecovision alive Edited by chart45

hacking to add sgm compatibility... you could be ban for talking like that...

I'm refferering to what people did with the Analogue SuperNT

But if they really want to ban me, well let's do this then

I'm a long time contributor here, I never did something wrong

If people here feel like Ishould be ban for saying that, then just let me know and I'll just delete my account here

I'm refferering to what people did with the Analogue SuperNT

But if they really want to ban me, well let's do this then

I'm a long time contributor here, I never did something wrong

If people here feel like Ishould be ban for saying that, then just let me know and I'll just delete my account here

Hopefully I am not in the minority when I say I don't think the statement was intentionally saying you should be banned. I took it as a playful jibe (I hope?)

I look forward to your continued success in this effort, and I hope to own one some day.

How easy will this "hack" be...some of us out here aren't very technically inclined.

Well, I just have to say it...

I appreciate everything that Opcode has done over the years for the benefit of the ColecoVision Community, but when it comes to this latest unfortunate development:

- the additional RAM implemented by the Opcode SGM followed suit with how Coleco implemented the additional RAM provided by the ADAM. This is proven out by the fact that the Team Pixelboy ports of the ADAM Super Games to cartridge format can be played on the ADAM without the Opcode SGM.

- the additional AY sound chip implemented by Opcode in the SGM is not a design of his own. It has been around since the 80s and anyone can add support for this sound chip in their own projects and use the same port address to access it on the CV or ADAM. You can not say that the use of Port address so and so is closed to everyone else because I used it for my own hardware project.

• Like 7

NIAD had some good points in his post above, and I was thinking about what NIAD said before I read NIADS post.

The CollectorVision game system already has more RAM then the ADAM computer and the Super Game Module. Therefore all Super Games that do not use the dedicated sound chip should run fine from the ColelctorVision game system.

Now NIAD mentioned that the supergame module sound chip might be able to be emulated without violating any copywrites. However it sounds like a third party software emulation well be able to be installed in the CollectorVision game system that would make it 100% compatible with the OPCODE supergame module.

Also if the CollectorVision Game system becomes open source, a third party programmer can make it emulate a Coleco ADAM computer and a massive amount of different 8 bit videogame and computer systems.

While it’s disappointing that you well not be creating any dedicated Supergames anymore. The CollectorVision game system is already much more powerful than the OPCODE supergame module. A ColecoVision II BIOS could be created to make 16 bit ColecoVision games that use a 16:9 screen ratio with stereo sound. The CollectorVision game system could truly become the next generation videogame system with its modern HDMI output. Exclusive high quality ColecoVision II games that only run on the CollectorVision game system would attract people to upgrade their 1982-1985 ColecoVision game system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

About the SGM, I have this to say before I become the villain of the story:

AFAIK CollectorVision is a video game publisher that is formally a company. As a company, it is on this for the money, not the love of the hobby. Now it seems to me the attitude here is, give me what i want for free or near free otherwise you can go screw yourself, I am no longer supporting you etc. The SGM was released years ago and the internals were shared with the community for free. I even created a tutorial on how to program for it. I never received a dime of the games released for the SGM, except for the games I ported myself, although publishers were making money selling their games.

As for the SGM using the Adam memory scheme, that was the only solution available at the time to make the thing also compatible with the ADAM, which to be honest is a computer I personally don’t give a shit, but was done anyways because the community requested and i wanted to make everybody happy. You don’t have to believe me, go search the forums, the exchanges are still there.

So yeah, sorry, collectorvision won’t have the SGM for free or near free. And no one will twist my arm with threats about support to change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

From a business perspective I can totally appreciate that. If parties have needs or motivations in common though, there is usually an arrangement that can satisfy each party's interests. If there is any patent or copyright on any part of the SGM owned by the creator, then that is of value to both parties. I'd suggest consideration of a sales channel arrangement or licensing deal for distribution of more SGMs along with the Collectorvision, should it reach a sales phase. Something that encourages greater sales of the SGM or even allows it to be sold and/or manufactured as part of, or as an option for the Collectorvision.

This could be more flexible than simple compatibility for a separate product with expectation of some payment to allow compatibility. It could encourage sales of both while ensuring greater revenue for both. Of course, if there is no real intellectual property, there's little that can be done to prevent others from making their own version, or supporting an existing device. It's like the expansion module #1 or the Coleco Genesis. I do agree that the SGM creator is owed something, but often we lose sight of additional sales of a product (in this case the SGM) as a intrinsic benefit of greater acceptance and utilization of said product. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with all the details of both products, but my point is there is always benefit to be had from two parties working toward a common goal in good faith.

I'm sure Atari, activision and others sold more of their game carts because of the Expansion Module for colecovision even though Atari sued to kill it. Everybody can find some value if they look for it. In truth though, I don't know how much sales volume either of these products can expect to make this more than a mute point financially. If arrangements are about principals rather than sales or revenues, then that's a whole different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

CollectorVision was briefed on Prometheus project before they had announced any plans of their own console. While I understand they made the decision to go with their own console and have control over it, I hope the community understand it is my best interest to preserve my investment on the SGM and Prometheus.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, we had an agreement in place for around 6 months that we would be allowed to integrate the sgm at no charge as long as we waited for the 4th run of sgms to be shipped. Which is why we have had to remain silent and say we wouldn't support it. It now seems Eduardo is trying to back out of the deal we had in place.

Just to be clear, we had an agreement in place for around 6 months that we would be allowed to integrate the sgm at no charge as long as we waited for the 4th run of sgms to be shipped. Which is why we have had to remain silent and say we wouldn't support it. It now seems Eduardo is trying to back out of the deal we had in place.

I never said it would be for free. I said I would agree to license it, and I kept my promise. And the fee was discussed as early as May last year and hasn’t changed.

Again, I don’t know why I should be required to help you with your commercial project for free.

• Like 1

CollectorVision was briefed on Prometheus project before they had announced any plans of their own console. While I understand they made the decision to go with their own console and have control over it, I hope the community understand it is my best interest to preserve my investment on the SGM and Prometheus.

This is not entirely accurate. I wasnt going to bring it up, but since you did here is more background. Eduardo and I were actually working together on a new system. All of a sudden he stopped responding to any of my messages for over a month. It turns out he wasn't happy with the time it took to get a response from one of the other developers on the project. So in this month of no response he was approached by the hardware group developing Prometheus and he decided he was going to abandon our project for the new one without even bothering to tell me. So while the idea of a colecovision successor was in place before, Prometheus as it is was done well after my project.

This is not entirely accurate. I wasnt going to bring it up, but since you did here is more background. Eduardo and I were actually working together on a new system. All of a sudden he stopped responding to any of my messages for over a month. It turns out he wasn't happy with the time it took to get a response from one of the other developers on the project. So in this month of no response he was approached by the hardware group developing Prometheus and he decided he was going to abandon our project for the new one without even bothering to tell me. So while the idea of a colecovision successor was in place before, Prometheus as it is was done well after my project.

That isn't accurate either. Prometheus in its current form exists since 2012, as documented here in the forums. Same team and all. And I sincerely don't remember working with you on a new system. I was supporting you with games, which I did, but that isn't the same as "working together".