IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Just curious. If I plugged a Tototek SNES to Playstation 2 adapter into the SNES port of the Phoenix, could I use a PS2 dual shock with it?

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=53

I've had varying success with Tototek adapters. I love that they exist but they can't test it against every make and model of console. So, it should work. But, us Tototek adapter owners will have to see :)

I've had varying success with Tototek adapters. I love that they exist but they can't test it against every make and model of console. So, it should work. But, us Tototek adapter owners will have to see :)

I know they can do better. I have a PS2 to Amiga adapter that blows the Tototek PS2 to Genesis away, but you don't see too many options for almost all console-to-console adapters out there and rarely know what you will get.

• Like 1

While I think it's great that the list already looks amazing and apparently it will continue to grow, please be sure to keep as many titles as you can limited to cartridge releases in your store so we can continue to repay you for your generosity by buying more CIB homebrews! You're already including 10 games, which is at least a $500 value based on the store prices. And for that I thank you! :-D

While I think it's great that the list already looks amazing and apparently it will continue to grow, please be sure to keep as many titles as you can limited to cartridge releases in your store so we can continue to repay you for your generosity by buying more CIB homebrews! You're already including 10 games, which is at least a $500 value based on the store prices. And for that I thank you! :-D

No worries, we do have plenty of other projects going on :)

• Like 1

A more updated look of the Phoenix

It's CUTE!!! And I mean that is the best most appreciative complimentary way possible! I cannot help to think the more I look at those images that this is more what I expected the CV Flashback to look like, and how this project is pretty much exactly what I wanted the Flashback to be!

And that Super-NES controller port is a nice bonus too. With that, I'll be able to play any game with my Super-NES NTT gamepad. :)

There's one thing that just occurred to me: Finding 100% functional PS2 keyboards in the wild is getting to be as hard as finding fully functional original ColecoVision consoles, and even if you find one, there's no telling how long it will last (broken shift keys, anyone?). T'would be nice to have a brand new PS2 keyboard (or maybe even a PS2 mouse!) to plug into the PS2 port on the Phoenix. I suppose there are schematics online (and even sourceable parts) to make brand new PS2 keyboards. I know at least one place online that manufactures custom keyboards, too bad they only do USB. :|

EDIT: Found an interesting place here but I don't know if all the keyboards they offer can be hardwired with a PS2 cable. It's not totally clear and trustable from the way their website product search engine works. They offer nice extra stuff like trackballs though, but I'm not sure if such extras are PS2-compatible.

• Like 1

And that Super-NES controller port is a nice bonus too. With that, I'll be able to play any game with my Super-NES NTT gamepad. :)

There's one thing that just occurred to me: Finding 100% functional PS2 keyboards in the wild is getting to be as hard as finding fully functional original ColecoVision consoles, and even if you find one, there's no telling how long it will last (broken shift keys, anyone?). T'would be nice to have a brand new PS2 keyboard (or maybe even a PS2 mouse!) to plug into the PS2 port on the Phoenix. I suppose there are schematics online (and even sourceable parts) to make brand new PS2 keyboards. I know at least one place online that manufactures custom keyboards, too bad they only do USB. :|

It's not that hard to find a brand new PS2 keyboard nowadays

You can also use a USB to PS2 adapter if your keyboard is supporting it

I've been specifically hanging onto an old Microsoft media PS2 keyboard that I had intended getting rid of. It was working perfectly, but my last two computers didn't have PS2 ports and so I had to get a new keyboard. So, I've stored my PS2 keyboard away safely in the hope that I can use it with the Phoenix.

This leads me on to the question of what region/language/layout PS2 keyboards will be supported by the Phoenix?

Edited by Ikrananka

The system designers decided not to do USB ports in order to make the system cheaper. I hope this system well support the PS/2 Y adapter so that a PS/2 keyboard and trackball can be used at the exact same time.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ

Would a non-Roller Controller Trackball even work with this system? I was under the impression that the PS/2 port was just for a keyboard, not anything else like a mouse/trackball/controller. That's what the DB-9 and the SNES controller ports are for. Or am I understanding that incorrectly?

The system designers decided not to do USB ports in order to make the system cheaper. I hope this system well support the PS/2 Y adapter so that a PS/2 keyboard and trackball can be used at the exact same time.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ

The PS/2 Port is only a single PS/2 implementation so splitters will not work.

EDIT: Found an interesting place here but I don't know if all the keyboards they offer can be hardwired with a PS2 cable. It's not totally clear and trustable from the way their website product search engine works. They offer nice extra stuff like trackballs though, but I'm not sure if such extras are PS2-compatible.

If you click on products you can actually filter by connector type with PS2 as one of the options

I just checked the prices on amazon. Wow..... those things are like 300 to 1000 dollars

Yowser! And all the keyboards with integrated trackballs I've seen seem to be limited to three buttons. Must be a standard limit. But yeah, way too expensive! :D

I looked around just for fun, and even just the main trackball component (for those who would like to build a custom trackball controller) is rather expensive, especially if you're looking for one with a big ball.

Most people would be better off just using a PS/2 mouse, even if it doesn't really replicate the trackball experience. I like this trackball, but at the given price it's not super interesting, although if someone ordered over 100 of them, the unit price would probably come down to around 150$, which wouldn't be too bad assuming the Phoenix would support it properly.

I'm day-dreaming, of course. Paying 150$ just to play Slither and Victory on a brand new trackball doesn't make much sense. Again, a PS/2 mouse would do just fine. :P

Would a non-Roller Controller Trackball even work with this system? I was under the impression that the PS/2 port was just for a keyboard, not anything else like a mouse/trackball/controller. That's what the DB-9 and the SNES controller ports are for. Or am I understanding that incorrectly?

There are some older computers that are 15+ years old that have two PS/2 ports. One port for PS/2 keyboard and one port for PS/2 mouse or Logitech trackball. On some newer computers from 2015 including some Laptops there is only one PS/2 port and that PS/2 is designed to accept a PS/2 Y adapter. However all new 2018+ computers are USB for keyboard and mouse devices with no more PS/2 port on the motherboard.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The PS/2 Port is only a single PS/2 implementation so splitters will not work.

Thanks for the information regarding PS/2 Y splitters are not compatible with the CollectorVision motherboard. Now hopefully the one and only PS/2 port well allow one to unplug the PS/2 keyboard and plug in a Logitech marble mouse to the PS/2 port for those programmers that decide to make special games that need a trackball. Or maybe that PS/2 port well only except a PS/2 keyboard since the wiring for a PS/2 mouse/trackball might be different.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks for the information regarding PS/2 Y splitters are not compatible with the CollectorVision motherboard. Now hopefully the one and only PS/2 port well allow one to unplug the PS/2 keyboard and plug in a Logitech marble mouse to the PS/2 port for those programmers that decide to make special games that need a trackball. Or maybe that PS/2 port well only except a PS/2 keyboard since the wiring for a PS/2 mouse/trackball might be different.

You guys are focussing way too much on the PS2 port ;) :P

We do have a working spinner prototype working for quite awhile now, and we're planning to have a trackball at some point

The idea is to have an all in one solution, and I would want to work with Edladdin on this all-in-1 arcade controller :)

Yowser! And all the keyboards with integrated trackballs I've seen seem to be limited to three buttons. Must be a standard limit. But yeah, way too expensive! :D

I looked around just for fun, and even just the main trackball component (for those who would like to build a custom trackball controller) is rather expensive, especially if you're looking for one with a big ball.

Most people would be better off just using a PS/2 mouse, even if it doesn't really replicate the trackball experience. I like this trackball, but at the given price it's not super interesting, although if someone ordered over 100 of them, the unit price would probably come down to around 150$, which wouldn't be too bad assuming the Phoenix would support it properly.

I'm day-dreaming, of course. Paying 150$ just to play Slither and Victory on a brand new trackball doesn't make much sense. Again, a PS/2 mouse would do just fine. :P

For over 15 years I and my family members have been using the Logitech Marble Mouse trackball device with all their desktop and Laptop computers. It costs under $25 at Walmart and is 100% compatible with PS/2 motherboards with an optional $1+ USB to PS/2 adapter.

Using a ColecoVision emulator on a Windows PC in roller controller mode, the Logitech Marble Mouse works much better when compated to the Coleco roller controller while playing the Slither game. Also I have never seen a Logitech Marble mouse break and they work perfectly after 15+ years. Very reliable product that in theory can last a lifetime.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-Trackman-Marble-Mouse-Four-Button-Programmable-Dark-Gray/49839188?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222037337730&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10360206094&wl4=pla-4578022834053813&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=49839188_10000000948&wl14=marble%20mouse&veh=sem&msclkid=eea5717a8f3e17a170b02af3547257a0

Edited by HDTV1080P