IGNORED

bobby needs food

Swami

Is there some trick to getting Bobby Needs Food to work with a light gun on the Harmony Encore? The Shooting Gallery proto works great, the joystick mode of Bobby Needs Food works great. On the title screen you choose between pistol and joystick. Using the light gun just toggles between one or the other highlighted. Using the joystick I can set it to "pistol" and hit the fire button to get to the game screen and then switch to the light gun but the light gun doesn't work. I downloaded the bnf_ntsc.bin file from the author himself, belial, on this forum: version 1.2. There was also a bnf12.asm Assembler source file and a moorhuhn.h C+/C++ header file included in the zip I downloaded but I don't think you include these and they are just there for FYI. Unfortunately, belial has been MIA since 2014.

Edit: I can get to the play screen with only the light gun by flinching the controller connector. Either way, switching b/t joystick and gun or flinching gun connection, the play screen comes up, the birds are flying and the sun is sinking, but the gun does not fire.

Edited by Swami

Is there some trick to getting Bobby Needs Food to work with a light gun on the Harmony Encore? The Shooting Gallery proto works great, the joystick mode of Bobby Needs Food works great. On the title screen you choose between pistol and joystick. Using the light gun just toggles between one or the other highlighted. Using the joystick I can set it to "pistol" and hit the fire button to get to the game screen and then switch to the light gun but the light gun doesn't work. I downloaded the bnf_ntsc.bin file from the author himself, belial, on this forum: version 1.2. There was also a bnf12.asm Assembler source file and a moorhuhn.h C+/C++ header file included in the zip I downloaded but I don't think you include these and they are just there for FYI. Unfortunately, belial has been MIA since 2014.

Edit: I can get to the play screen with only the light gun by flinching the controller connector. Either way, switching b/t joystick and gun or flinching gun connection, the play screen comes up, the birds are flying and the sun is sinking, but the gun does not fire.

update: Same result with v1.1 and 1.0. Tried it with both a light sixer and Sears Video Arcade 2. Thomas Jentzch recommended using console switches in an early post, but they seem to have no effect except to reset to the screen where you choose between joystick and pistol.

If with "switch to the lightgun" you mean unplugging the joystick and plugging the gun, that's the problem.

The game is expecting a joystick connected to the left port and a lightgun to the right one.

P.S: the author posted the rom also on his blog about a year ago.

That works! Thanks. I was so close, too. Had tried to stick and gun in the reverse order once.

Although, had to mess with picture settings to get good response. Now the sun is green and I have to hold the gun about 2 inches from the TV screen for it to work. May need to mess around to get the sun white, like Christian's picture.

Edited by Swami

Does this work for anyone in Stella? Here the screen is jumping like mad.

Worked okay on mine in Stella, using joystick mode. Did you use a file name with 12 at end of file name or the one with no numbers. I tried the one with no numbers and it flipped wildly, thought perhaps it was PAL.