IGNORED

Kickstarter to fit a Raspberry Pi into C64c case with ports for cables, etc

Kremlar

Ehh...I'll say no to this. What the heck is the point. Some 3D printed mounts to mount a Pi in a C64 case? And gutting a C64 for the case is not destructive? Better leaving your C64 the way it is and sticking the Pi in a little case like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/514338940/commodore-64-raspberry-pi-case-with?ref=market

Now that is pretty cool!

In case any one is looking to do something like this, either with an old/dead C64c or one of the new C64c cases available, here is a pretty cool Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/966066382/non-destructive-commodore-64c-pi-conversion-framew?ref=user_menu

While I don't mind the idea of "upcycling" things, I think cannibalizing working hardware to shoehorn in some modern tech device is a bad idea. I shudder to think of all those NES -> ITX mini computer mods that were all the rave around 2005ish. I imagine many of those are sitting in a landfill now. :sad:

And people did follow those instructables and destroy working NES units. Same thing with the C64 case. I'd personally rather see cigar boxes or old toasters or scrap get converted into Pi computers, not vintage commodore computers. And the fact this person wants to run a Kickstarter for what amounts to custom mounting hardware that anyone with a bit of scrap material, tools, glue, and ingenuity could do for him or herself in a garage, tells me the people this mod device is catered to really shouldn't be attempting DIY mods to begin with.

People want the vintage look but not the vintage functionality, which imho is sad and creates a false sense of retro. Also the remarkably low goal shows that this project really did not need public funding at all but is just doing the campaign to stimulate interest or generate preorders for what is presumably a finished or nearly finished product.

• Like 1

I think you are missing the point of the Kickstarter. There are already plenty of extra C64c cases out there - I have 4 of them sitting in a box. New cases were made from original molds and are available for sale on eBay. People are replacing old/beat up cases with new ones, or have new ones kicking around looking for something to do with them. Another company has purchased the molds and are planning on selling even more in different colors in the near future.

The whole point of this Kickstarter is that you can use those cases without destroying them with tools/glue/etc. I think it has a very limited audience, but is a good idea to make use of an available case.

The guy who started this is active in the community and sells lots of other 3D printed parts for C=/retro computers. You're right, he clearly didn't NEED a Kickstarter to fund it but from what I understand he thought it would be a cool, small project to run with his son.

Obviously it isn't for everyone, but I don't think it's fair for people to glance and think its goal is for people to destroy working retro computers - because that's not true.

• 3 weeks later...