IGNORED

Ataribox

Not sure what to make of that. Dream Arcade sells all kinds of M.A.M.E. cabs and bartops. Preloaded I'm sure. It sort of irked me that an already established company has to go to kickstarter. IDK, maybe it's the new way of doing business and the whole kickstarter thing is a form of advertisement that pays YOU!

Too bad, though, it seemed to be among the first to use intel x86 SoC. And not the underpowered shitbox R-Pi stuff..

There was an update re: them having problems with Atari (or at least their legal department); they claimed they had licensed the games included with the machine, but Atari through a third party said they didn't have those rights. I'd assume it was something to do with that. They thought they'd have it sorted out quickly, so who knows.

There was an update re: them having problems with Atari (or at least their legal department); they claimed they had licensed the games included with the machine, but Atari through a third party said they didn't have those rights. I'd assume it was something to do with that. They thought they'd have it sorted out quickly, so who knows.

Honestly, most of the games they had in their "List of pre-loaded games" or whatever were the very same Atari-titles we find on the Flashbacks. At least to the quick glance i gave it.

Considering that Atari apparently has woken up from it's slumber and taken the 1977 Chevy Caprice that has been sitting abandoned in a barn for 2 decades out for a trip to retroland, blasting disco from the 8-track player mounted on the speakerhat, doing sick burnouts downshifted to R (That's the RETRO-gear!) at full throttle, it wouldn't be surprising.

EDIT!

Yeah. The copyright note on Kickstarter says exactly what we need to know:

Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All [submitted by LIME, LLC]

Date: 2017-07-27T13:58:52.000-04:00

Sender

[Private]

LIME, LLC

132 Fayerweather Street

Cambridge, MA 02138

US

Sent via online form

Recipient

Kickstarter, PBC

58 Kent Street

Brooklyn, NY 11222

USA

Re: Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All

Description of copyrighted material: Dozens of classic Atari video game properties, as further described in my letter to Kickstarter delivered to you today via USPS priority express, tracking number EK822788051US.

Description of infringing material: A hardware console pre-installed with dozens of classic Atari video game properties, as further described in my letter to Kickstarter delivered to you today via USPS priority express, tracking number EK822788051US.

Lime, LLC in Cambridge, Massachusetts is a law firm apparently.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 1

Honestly, most of the games they had in their "List of pre-loaded games" or whatever were the very same Atari-titles we find on the Flashbacks. At least to the quick glance i gave it.

Pretty sure it was just a copy of Atari Vault and Activision Anthology that they were including. That's how they were touting the 100 + 75 games.

I have a retropie in an Old Skool NES style case with an 8bitdo NES30pro controller. It's great!!! but it does require some tinkering to get it working. I've seen some pre-configured kits on Amazon. I wonder if there's an Atari style case for them.

719K5JlO61L._SX355_.jpg

The Dreamcade peoples' arcade cabinets not only have the Dreamcade game add-ons, but even more. Their FAQ claims the games to be 100% legitimate:

post-39941-0-61189900-1501464045_thumb.jpg

I suppose it's possible they do have rights on arcade cabinets, and that those rights don't transfer to all products they make--such as a console. Or, maybe Atari saw their system and are claiming the design was ripped-off?

At any rate, if their FAQ is honest then it wouldn't surprise me to find the Kickstarter reinstated.

• Like 1

When I first saw their Kickstarter page I assumed that AtGames would do something for calling it a Flashback and using that trademarked term generically.

AtGames really doesn't care. It's Atari and/or Activision who tend to care about such things.

• Like 2

The Dreamcade guys always had a really creepy demeanor, I don't know how to describe it but it was like this overcompensating unwarranted self importance. In my mind this approach makes perfect sense if they were claiming to be 100% legit but only through some sort of wordplay and mental gymnastics about where the ROMs came from. Kinda like a confidence trick that keeps inquisitive eyes away since you couldn't imagine a project built on lies to be this open about their shenanigans.

• Like 1

If I buy 1000 license codes to Atari Vault and bundle it with something I'm selling, is that so wrong? Would LIME LLC get up my ass for that?

Pretty sure it was just a copy of Atari Vault and Activision Anthology that they were including. That's how they were touting the 100 + 75 games.

If they included factory sealed copies of retail purchased games with each console or dreamcade\whatever wouldn't that be a legit work around to include said games? I don't see how a company could be mad that the games they sold are being included with a console that those games are intended to be used for. It's not like they wouldn't have already been paid.

If they are doing something other than that like just ripping roms and including them with an EMU that would be wrong.

If I buy 1000 license codes to Atari Vault and bundle it with something I'm selling, is that so wrong? Would LIME LLC get up my ass for that?

I'm pretty sure you'd need a license for the specific platform. Companies want to resell stuff they didn't create as many times as they can.

The lawyer behind sLIME LLC seems to specialize in intellectual property rights and lives for sending cease and desist orders.

Check out his buzzword bingo... I mean client list page:

http://limelaw.com/clients.html

From the Kickstarter update (emphasis, mine):

As far as reviews, I've spoken with 3 people that are working on reviews. We're still having trouble finding big sites to cover the Replay, most quote new editorial policies due to some past well-known crowdfunding failures.

Well, at least one good thing came, in part, from RVGS/Coleco fiasco. :grin:

• Like 5