IGNORED

Ataribox

The very first VCS units shipping in 1977 had provisions in their housing to hold two speakers. There were three finger-posts. Each finger spaced 120-degrees apart and forming a cradle that the speaker magnet would fit into. The paper cone of the speaker facing up. And there were slots or slits cut in the top of the unit itself where the sound could come out. You have to look at a low angle of incidence to see them. Almost edge-on so to speak.

At the last minute, the speakers were dropped because of cost and the simplicity of sending the sound through the RF modulator. In later revisions of the base/housing, the speaker holders aren't present. Save on plastic too!

Trivia: The housing and top grille formed a tuned enclosure to resonate at bass and let higher frequencies out. The path is tortured for 2 reasons, to be aesthetically pleasing with minimal visibility of the slits. And to reflect/trap bass while passing mid/higher frequencies.

Trivia: Note the rotating bumpers in Video Pinball. That's where their design came from. There are also 3 points spaced 120-degrees apart. Gotta love these little tributes and tips of the hat. Eh?

See these pics I stole from this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234956-help-atari-2600-heavy-sixer-issues/

post-4806-0-01227500-1507090253_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-69991800-1507090267_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-94207600-1507090235_thumb.jpg

post-4806-0-27602400-1507090237_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-66020000-1507090238_thumb.png

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

Claws in, tiger. I thought I was being "funny," after Flojo schooled the poster who said anyone who claimed to know Atari's financial situation was engaging in speculation and rumor. Obviously, ymmv.

Also, obviously, you've not read any of my posts on this topic or the Chameleon, or my diatribes about critical thinking.

I think the only thing that could be interpreted in my reply to have anything with any "claws" was the word "erm", but was only meant to convey slight confusion to the post. Keep in mind my reply to the same exact post, I was clearly in aggrement with flojo.

The rest of my post was a non aggressive post in every sense of the word. Im sorry if I dont spend hours of my life reading and memorizing the content of your posts here, kitty. Dont take it personally, its a discussion. I simply replied, in a respectful tone, to what I interpreted was your up front and genuine comment.

Tone is a funny thing to try to guage in text. Maybe dont read to far into people's posts unless they make it inherently clear theyre out to attack you.

Edited by MotoRacer

Thanks for the education, I think I knew about those holes, but it hasn't been "reinforced through crowd wisdom" like ET being a bad game. I suppose it goes to show that making a plastic mold is expensive. Those holes could have a side effect of ventilation for the mighty STELLA hardware within as well.

• Like 1

Anybody ever try setting up one of the systems with speakers? I'd be interested to know about sound quality, plus's it might be cool.

I'd think it would sound pretty crappy. I believe that's the reason they didn't go through with it in the end.

I'd be more interested in someone adding the logic to support the built in game.

• Like 1

I'd be more interested in someone adding the logic to support the built in game.

What was the built in game supposed to be? And only the early h6'ers have a spot on the motherboard where the rom can be stuffed.

As far as the logic goes, getting it working and stuff, it might mean the game code itself would have to contain a switch. And in doing so, that'd mean the VCS would likely need a BIOS routine so to speak. It might be the world's smallest BIOS at just a couple of bits, however, to manage the switching back and forth between built-in game and cartridge slot.

Interestingly, those grill holes are still present in many four switch systems.

Anybody ever try setting up one of the systems with speakers? I'd be interested to know about sound quality, plus's it might be cool.

Yurkie did a mod...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219575-modded-light-sixer-with-built-in-speakers-and-amp/

Alright, still playing the cautious hopeful here:

Any news on the controller? At this stage it's the make or break for me on this system. It HAS to have some kind of built in paddle.

Still might back it, despite the price. It has potential if it doesn't fall into the traps y'all mention.