IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Personally I think crowdfunding is for the little guy. A major company, financially failing or not, should and should be able to come out with a product on their own without begging for money. It doesn't give me a good feeling about a major company and their product if they're asking for money for it from users, and can't come out with it on their own. At the very least it means they're being lazy.

• Like 3

It doesn't give me a good feeling about a major company and their product if they're asking for money for it from users, and can't come out with it on their own. At the very least it means they're being lazy.

And there is the rub... Atari, in its current state, isn't a major company.

• Like 5

The media seems to be covering this at a fever pitch. This is really getting insane. Seems that whoever is making this device took a page out of the chameleon playbook, but set the amps to 11.

Can i ask you all something please.

My english is not so good.

This Post seemed to me very interesting.

What does the term "took a page out of the chameleon playbook, but set the amps to 11." mean in an easier way to understand.

Thank you and i apologize for the inconvenience :)

P.S. I am very hyped up for this new Ataribox. Therefore i subscribed to the Forum with my video. I wish Youtube doesnt delete it anymore :D

What does the term "took a page out of the chameleon playbook, but set the amps to 11." mean in an easier way to understand.

P.S. I am very hyped up for this new Ataribox. Therefore i subscribed to the Forum with my video. I wish Youtube doesnt delete it anymore :D

Volume control on a radio.

0=quiet

5=normal

10=loud

11= BEYOND LOUD! More than full power!

The coleco chameleon campaign did a lot of weird things and made a lot of noise and got a lot of attention.

This atari thing is making MORE noise, more reviews, more coverage, more attention!

Edited by Keatah

Volume control on a radio.

0=quiet

5=normal

10=loud

11= BEYOND LOUD! More than full power!

The coleco chameleon campaign did a lot of weird things and made a lot of noise and got a lot of attention.

This atari thing is making MORE noise, more reviews, more coverage, more attention!

People are thinking way outside the box to be comparing this to the Chameleon. They were trying to develop their own hardware from scratch, which is massively costly. Look for the Atari product to use something more in line with a Tegra chip.

I still don't understand the negativity around crowdfunding. Did anyone really think that Atari is going to go toe to toe with MSFT and Sony? You do understand that they invest millions on development and don't make a profit until they sell millions of units. Expect a device very similar to an Ouya. The real question is how many developers get on board. Anyone who has played a Shield TV, knows the power of these smaller devices. The problem with Ouya wasn't the concept--it was the software. If Atari can fix that with their name recognition and some learnings from Ouya, etc. they could have a very successful device on their hands

I made some intensive reasearch the last weeks with Atari.

Can i bring your attention to the following press release from 31st May, 2016.

I dont know if it was posted already here:

https://atari-com.scdn1.secure.raxcdn.com/cdn/farfuture/dGhOSDC8MbRNyRCIjUdc0I9fSHZJOOJACLq2IemJdxI/mtime:1464646838/sites/default/files/SIGFOX%20Atari%20Press%20Release%205.28.16_VEnglish_English.pdf

Atari is making a cooperation with Sigfox. Sigfox is the worlds leading provider for the "Internet of Things". It will be a major influence for our society and how our devices will be connected.

In their press release it reads that they will launch a new dimension to gaming only limited by the imagination.

And they both will have a wide product line of home, pets, lifestyle and safety.

I think its a win win situation. Sigfox wants to expand heavily in the world and is already doing that (I also did research on sigfox).

They can use the already known brand "Atari" for installing the hardware for their connection and Atari is doing business again on a global scale.

Sigfox is a french company and it is very impressive of what they are doing so far and what their plans are.

The new CEO of Atari Fred Chesnais seems like a very compentent Guy with passion for Gaming. He seems very eager in a positive way with goals and i have an impression that he is very intelligent.

He safed Atari from bankruptcy and he wants to make Atari big again in the future. Time will tell.

Atari is making huge steps. They have put their logo in both Blade Runner 2049 Trailers and their marketing is over the top super.

If you liked the marketing so far or not but with all the teasers and pictures, they created a huge buzz and even people that dont like Atari or the Crowdfunding idea are informed and hugely interested what will happen next.

That is what marketing and commercials are all about in my opinion.

The first Teaser is great and the Design is almost perfect in my eyes. It has the Retro look combined with a modern look. A lot of people would put that console in their living room only for the design of it.

On the next subject:

I looked at the connectivities on the back side of the console:

The Ethernet Connection is in the Center. This means that Internet Connection is very important for them.

The Connection on the lower left side which most people say that this could be for the power cable. I dont think that this is for the power connection. I have never seen a power connection in this shape.

I am very curious what this could be. I think this is something different.

The four USB Connections are also very interesting. I dont think that this is for the controllers. It looks that they have plans that this console could be connected with a lot of other devices. Who knows what this would be.

And what is the deal with the SD Card place? If you can download Games with the Ethernet cable why should be a SD Card slot there. Are they going to sell Mini "Cartridges" in form of SD Cards also for the retail shops?

I have absolutely no clue why there should be a SD Card slot.

By the way, Sigfox is also a french Company. The CEO Ludovic LeMoan and Fred Chesnais know each other for a longer time than the cooperation. The fact that they are both french and Sigfox is a already great established company in their workfield looks like a very promising partnership.

On the last note:

Atari has hired a new succesful and experienced Marketing and Business leader with the name of Michael Arzt. He has an impressive work vita and has experience with big companies and he was always in high positions.

They all look like very positive characters and they all are competitive business Guys.

Atari has also given the famous and succesful Rapper RZA from Wu Tang Clan for a production of an Album that he should do Tracks combined with Atari Sounds.

I liked the idea that the Company people are making thoughts about different groups to reach to bringing their name and brand and in discussions again on different fields of Entertainment. Not only Games but also Movies (Blade Runner) and Music.

I have absolutely no problem that this will be a Kickstarter Crowdfunding Project.

With all the excitement and the Announcement of the last weeks and days the People have so fast forgotten that Atari is coming from a close bankruptcy.

They are not in the financial situation like the Multi-Billion Dollar Companies like Microsoft and Sony.

Even Nintendo has another Standards of financing new products. These Companies can make bad decisions and they could catch themselves with other products.

The Wii U was more of a desaster but they still had the hugely succesful Nintendo DS and later the Pokemon Go. Atari has only this one Chance and they cant allow themselves for a bad or losing decision. They could not stand up again.

With all the respect for Microsoft and Sony with Xbox One and PS4 but it looks to me that Atari is coming much closer to the People and actually listening what the people wishes and demands.

For me its like an old friend or a relative that knocked on the door again and saying hi.

Sorry that i wrote so much. Thank you for the attention if you made it until here :D

P.S. Namco made also a Teaser regarding Pac Man. Most people didnt realised that. Maybe it has something to do with the upcoming Atari Console.

Edited by alexkeaton
  • Like 1

I made some intensive reasearch the last weeks with Atari.

<snip>

As a counter-point, unless something has radically changed, this has nothing to do with being or interacting with IOT devices, nothing to do with Namco, and, in terms of network connections - whether centered or not - those are important for pretty much everything these days, so it doesn't really imply much.
In terms of the comment, "With all the respect for Microsoft and Sony with Xbox One and PS4 but it looks to me that Atari is coming much closer to the People and actually listening what the people wishes and demands." all I can say is that the consoles from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are hugely popular and influential, so I think they have a pretty good handle on the "listening" part. Until Atari reveals what their actual plans are, we really don't know if they're "listening what the people wishes and demands."
I will absolutely agree that their marketing has improved dramatically. I was skeptical if Atari could get this kind of buzz ever again and they've done it with low info teasers. That's a win.
  • Like 1

It's all American Slang.

"This one goes to 11" is from a 1980's movie about a non existing rock band. The joke was that their guitar amplifiers were labeled 0-11 instead of 0-10. Unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

"Out of the Playbook" is basically a reference to American Football (or any major sport) where the team performs a play from their book of plays. In this reference, the Coleco Chameleon was a fake product and it is assumed by some here that the Ataribox is just another fake product. Running the same play.

To be honest, I liked that mockup Atari console a few years back that had the full Atari logo on the top. That looked nice. Wish that was orderable as a RPi case or something. The controller looked painful though, but maybe that's just staying in tradition of Atari controllers. heh.

As for any sort of "console exclusives", I can't imagine Atari having enough, since most of the company has been gutted. The world of video games has changed since they were the top dog. No chance of a modern day exclusive remake of Air/Sea Battle or other generic-named games like Circus Atari.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I may just throw a few bucks in the Kickstarter, expecting nothing bak, just for the lulz. If if reaches the goal, and produces nothing, at least there will be some hilarious YouTube videos for years to come as a result.

Coleco Chameleon was a console pitched sometime between fall 2015 and winter 2016 that relied on a sales pitch with no hardware whatsoever and a fancy console shell borrowed from the 1993 Atari Jaguar. The CEO Mike Kennedy acquired the injection molds for the Atari Jaguar and intended to repurpose them to mass produce his ultimate retro game console, initially titled the "Retro Video Game System," before the working title was changed to "Coleco Chameleon." The one working prototype featured prominently at a trade fair turned out to be an SNES circuit board inside the Jaguar shell.

You can read about the drama that unfolded regarding the Coleco Chameleon. It is a spectacularly long thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/

"Chameleon" is also a name for a type of lizard which changes it's colors to blend in with it's environment. Fitting title for a scam artist to use for a console that pretended to be something else.

"Set the Amps to 11" is an expression for exceeding a set threshold or limit. Normally on old radios with an analog dial, the volume control was marked with a set range from 0 to 10. Tuning the volume control to 11 would be in essence exceeding the amplifier's rated capacity, aside from the fact it is physically impossible to tune the dial beyond it's limit of travel.

"Playbook" is derived from sports terminology where the team coach records plays, typically referring to grid iron or American style football in which the offense and defense line up into various formations prior to start of the play.

Since the Coleco Chameleon turned out to be an outright scam, it is inferred that a "Cameleon Playbook" would contain a lot more lies. So the entire phrase "took a page out of the chameleon playbook, but set the amps to 11," is an exaggeration that infers the entire concept of Ataribox is even more ludicrous compared to the Chameleon, and should fail in a more spectacular manner.

I hope this helps. I've never written a "Cliff Notes" style breakdown of a single phrase posted on an online forum before, but here it is...

It's all American Slang.

"This one goes to 11" is from a 1980's movie about a non existing rock band. The joke was that their guitar amplifiers were labeled 0-11 instead of 0-10. Unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

"Out of the Playbook" is basically a reference to American Football (or any major sport) where the team performs a play from their book of plays. In this reference, the Coleco Chameleon was a fake product and it is assumed by some here that the Ataribox is just another fake product. Running the same play.

Or this simpler explanation also works.

• Like 2

I think it's a pretty established principle in the gaming community that you should never pre-order items. It's a complete scam, and it is never worth the money you pay for the stuff.

That said I am always excited for a new console. But personally I think the people making this console don't care about gaming at all. There are so many important things we need to achieve to push gaming forward, but this console is not really what we need.

• Like 3

You know, I read a story a while back that was saying Vivendi Universal was wanting to make another huge bid for Ubisoft so they could get back into the game making business again. I had kind of wondered when this was first announced if they had either helped fund Atari or had helped bail them out of bankruptcy. I think someone discounted that possibility though.

I think it's a pretty established principle in the gaming community that you should never pre-order items. It's a complete scam, and it is never worth the money you pay for the stuff.

There's like 2 gaming related things I'll purchase sight-unseen. And they're specialty products with an established history of being worth it.

That said I am always excited for a new console. But personally I think the people making this console don't care about gaming at all. There are so many important things we need to achieve to push gaming forward, but this console is not really what we need.

You and many others. I personally think it's a bunch of suits capitalizing on "retro" with non-innovative technology. Like so many that've come before. Each interpretation of retro is false and forced, artificial in nature.

The real Atari, the ancient Atari was a gamer's company. It was jam packed with engineers and programmers that had nothing but designing, coding, and development on their minds. I'm sorry, I just don't see that in present-day atari. If it's there; please enlighten me and show me the way!

I would even dare say emulation is a vintage way of playing the original Atari classics. Emulation has been around for 20 or more years already. So it's had time to mature.

• Like 2

There's like 2 gaming related things I'll purchase sight-unseen. And they're specialty products with an established history of being worth it.

You and many others. I personally think it's a bunch of suits capitalizing on "retro" with non-innovative technology. Like so many that've come before. Each interpretation of retro is false and forced, artificial in nature.

The real Atari, the ancient Atari was a gamer's company. It was jam packed with engineers and programmers that had nothing but designing, coding, and development on their minds. I'm sorry, I just don't see that in present-day atari. If it's there; please enlighten me and show me the way!

I would even dare say emulation is a vintage way of playing the original Atari classics. Emulation has been around for 20 or more years already. So it's had time to mature.

Totally agree. Atari represents cutting edge technology and unbridled imagination. I'd say there's way more of the spirit of Atari in these forums than in this new console.

That's because these forums have lotsa folks that've been there in the 70's and 80's as kids. We are tech savvy, understand classic gaming, know the games inside and out, know how to mess with real circuits, fix consoles, design consoles, and know how to program things. We know how to make our own tools like debuggers and emulators. Some of us know business and marketing, art & graphic design.. And the list rolls on..

Present day atari is missing many of those "go-fast" engine parts.

I needed to reword something. As a result, this post was

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

That's why I really want to get I involved in this community! One of my favorite things about Atari games is that they're almost always made by one person. The reason why consoles and games now have lost all their soul is that games and consoles have become so complex that incredible bureaucratic structures have been set up to manage them.

All the Atari programmers from the 70s and 80s tell you at the GDC conferences how stupid marketing departments are. Well now almost every AAA titles are run by them.

There's something pure about 8 bit hardware. One person, one game. Amazing artistic direction as a result.

Edited by vidak

Also, "Amps to 11" is also a reference to the movie "This is Spinal Tap," where the band Spinal Tap had special amps made that go to 11.

"Set the Amps to 11" is an expression for exceeding a set threshold or limit. Normally on old radios with an analog dial, the volume control was marked with a set range from 0 to 10. Tuning the volume control to 11 would be in essence exceeding the amplifier's rated capacity, aside from the fact it is physically impossible to tune the dial beyond it's limit of travel.

• Like 1

Also, "Amps to 11" is also a reference to the movie "This is Spinal Tap," where the band Spinal Tap had special amps made that go to 11.

Seriously, Kosmic could have just pointed out it was a Spinal Tap reference instead of rambling on for half a page, but I don't think the guy ever met a cultural reference he didn't miss.