IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So I was right, it basically is a Steam Machine. May have to get one and sit it next to my Jaguar...

That was my initial call too when it was announced. SteamOS is Linux-based but I don't know if it allows other third-party gateways or stores. I'm not sure if that's what Atari meant ... that it'll just run things downloaded from Steam or if it also allows downloads from other platforms.

That was my initial call too when it was announced. SteamOS is Linux-based but I don't know if it allows other third-party gateways or stores. I'm not sure if that's what Atari meant ... that it'll just run things downloaded from Steam or if it also allows downloads from other platforms.

The email and article both state that it's not running SteamOS, but their own version of Linux, that while designed to be user friendly, is still completely customizable by the user and runs anything a PC with the same amount of power and Linux would. They said their whole inspiration for this was seeing people plugging their PCs into their TVs for gaming. Thus they wanted to bring a truly open gaming experience like that of PC's into a form factor made for the living room. Presumably it runs any Linux compatible games that its hardware has the power for from any provider, be it Steam, GOG, itch.io, even freeware.

• Like 1

That's easy, my PC has a rather large mini-tower case which isn't a great form-factor for the living room, it's loaded with fans to make noise (1 on the CPU, 3 on the GPU, 2 on the case, one on the power supply-- 7 in total) - so it's noisy, and blows out lots of heat. Runs an OS that assumes keyboard and mouse by default -- not great for the sofa.

That sounds like a problem with your PC ...easily remedied with a NUC or Mac Mini with a wireless keyboard. That still doesnt make a case for buying Atarishitbox instead of something else (or nothing at all, and just adding a steam link to your setup)

• Like 2

I hope what they are making is going to be an open platform online gaming system where anyone can develop for and sell on the system. I was teaching myself to make games for the Xbox 360 with XNA game studio, and about the time when I figured out what I was doing they cancelled indie development. I'm hoping it will be something that will support homebrew development.

Yeah but on a strictly gaming machine not Windows PC. I mean if you or I wanted to make a game for the Xbox 360 it can't be done and sold on their Indy Games section any longer. I'm not sure about the other systems what they allow, but I think it would be cool to have a gaming system that makes it easy to do that and a gaming system that many people might buy and have access to buy your game.

I was thinking it could come pre-loaded with Atari classics. People bought the Flashbacks. And sure big budget developers probably won't develop for it, which was my main point really something for the people to make games for. And maybe Atari could release games occasionally as well and sell for download. So basically to me it would be like a flashback that has online access to homebrews you can buy. It doesn't need to come out right of the gate and compete with the other systems. This would be a step in the right direction I believe though. AtGames didn't say we can't compete with Microsoft and Sony and not make the Flashbacks.

Someone at atari was reading my posts.

• Like 3

Calling it an "atari lifestyle? That's kinda pushing it.

Not sure if that was directed to me but I will tell you what I think of as the Atari lifestyle. Its not about Speaker Hats nor is it about old fashioned beep boop games.

It's about smoking weed at work and enjoying the ride, while Time Warner fails spectacularly to understand what can make a fledgling video game company into a lasting success.

• Like 3

Don't forget about the meetings in the hot tub with bottles of wine floating in it. That's what they should do- make hot tubs with the Atari logo on them. The real AtariBox.

attachicon.gifhot_tub_atari.jpg

Ohhh, how it must have been....the parties, the hot tubbing, the free flow of unbridled creativity, the sheer variety of cannabis....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YGwyHwOBgo&list=PLtRd4yA2uiK39qsGWRC-PcDy-X2QN29pR

In another more recent documentary, Nolan talks about (paraphrasing) how all of the designers were "nerds that wanted to get laid" and "what better way to motivate and incentivize than to hold monthly parties if quotas were being met". An ideal business model, that is until those cranky/greedy/clueless old Warner's came along and spoiled all the fun. :(

70s Atari:

post-61233-0-75741900-1506472144.jpg

post-61233-0-65622200-1506472133.jpg

...And into the 80s:

(sigh)

post-61233-0-62918000-1506472151_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The Linux community seems to be a bit more optimistic in general about the Ataribox than it appears most of the people here are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/72jgn5/atari_are_launching_a_new_gaming_system_the/

Good for them. They can keep it. :roll:

As a gaming machine this device will be DOA with almost no support.

• Like 4

So a few thoughts and bits of speculation on the Atari box and its upcoming indiegogo.

1. I do not expect the amount that they are asking for (what ever that may be) to cover the total hardware costs of the Atari Box. I expect them to do this as a gauging interest kind of thing for the Atari Box to have a bigger player with allot more money to come in and help fund the project the rest of the way from behind the scenes. To me it is obvious that have a bigger partner already with the Atari Life stuff and the movie promotion in blade runner. I doubt that they are going to take the money and run. Like a certain other console Kickstarter...

2. With the planned spring 2018 release I am expecting Atari to have a semi custom or early version of Raven Ridge SoC in it. Keep in mind that Vega Runs very well on Linux and a slimmed down mobile version of that would make sense IMO. It wont be able to play the latest games due to the mobile version of the Vega GPU on a chip.

3. I expect it to have some form of online connectivity for games. Steam seems likely since it runs on Linux.

But the ultimate question I have is. Can it run Crysis? Because If it can I am set and ready to go.

Just some speculation on my end. :)

What are your thoughts and speculation on the Atari box?

Edited by HeadClot
  • Like 3

Good for them. They can keep it. :roll:As a gaming machine this device will be DOA with almost no support.

That's the beautiful thing about going with unrestricted Linux though. It already comes with hundreds of free titles, plus hundreds more available for purchase from day one. Who needs support when you aren't proprietary?

And it happened, The first real substantive piece of information on the AtariBox, and it's not a good one. We know the hardware designer: Feargal Mac.

Know the name? You and every retro gamer around should know this name, as this guy is a grade A con artist, with a whole trail of scampaigns and pissed off backers in his wake:

First, the Ataribox article: http://sushimonster85.com/2017/09/ataris-new-console-does-much-more-than-just-video-games/

and a video showing the latest of Feargal's scampaigns:

At this point, I'm munching popcorn and watching the flames, while warning people to stay out of the way of the flaming pile of shi--I mean debris. :)

-Thom

(p.s. for people who griped at me for being a sour bastard, I do hate being right about this. I know the company and the people they do business with..they're all scoundrels.)

(p.p.s. The post came from leaked backer information on the IndieGoGo campaign.)

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 4

And it happened, The first real substantive piece of information on the AtariBox, and it's not a good one. We know the hardware designer: Feargal Mac.

Know the name? You and every retro gamer around should know this name, as this guy is a grade A con artist, with a whole trail of scampaigns and pissed off backers in his wake:

First, the Ataribox article: http://sushimonster85.com/2017/09/ataris-new-console-does-much-more-than-just-video-games/

and a video showing the latest of Feargal's scampaigns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKxVNEHVS0

At this point, I'm munching popcorn and watching the flames, while warning people to stay out of the way of the flaming pile of shi--I mean debris. :)

-Thom

(p.s. for people who griped at me for being a sour bastard, I do hate being right about this. I know the company and the people they do business with..they're all scoundrels.)

(p.p.s. The post came from leaked backer information on the IndieGoGo campaign.)

That guy looks like a complete douche bag, And that is an insult to all other compuserve douche bags everywhere. Actually, he kind of reminds me of some one I used to work with, who was definitely a bag of douche. I was really going to back this until I saw him.

• Like 1

I understand that, and I won't be backing such a project. The history is too ugly as shown in the video.

But, "because atari" means it'll get tons of backers. I hope I'm wrong there.

I've read that interview with "Mac" and when he said a 12-year old wanted to play Atari games and Minecraft, I thought of that GameWatch pitch and sure enough he was behind that one too. Plus I never heard of the StormFly being released and for good reason...who wants to "wear" a USB flash drive even if it self-boots? Guess kids think anything like that sounds cool...

And I've never seen anything come good out of crowd funding, why couldn't Atari just license some PC making OEM to make the Ataribox at least?? They don't have enough money to seriously sell a product of their own but can still afford to have lawyers sue candy bar companies.

• Like 3

The images in the latest newsletter are not renders, but physical.

OK Mr. Thought Leader, do you have any evidence to support this? They sure look like renders to me.

Excuse my skepticism, but this

post-2410-0-29614600-1506517842_thumb.png

and this

post-2410-0-16309700-1506517859_thumb.png

and this

post-2410-0-18748000-1506517872_thumb.png

and this

post-2410-0-13474500-1506517884_thumb.png

leads me to believe that you might have what us old people like to call a "conflict of interest" that would undermine your "credibility" here.

If you choose not to respond, I understand

post-2410-0-92969300-1506517972_thumb.png

but I thought you loved me, I really did.

post-2410-0-35491200-1506518024_thumb.png

Maybe, just maybe, we aren't so different. Or maybe you're shilling for Atari to put them in the best possible light, while some of us are intolerant of schemes and half-truths about unreleased products, and hate the idea of people getting fleeced and exploited over their nostalgia for old games.

post-2410-0-42912700-1506518108_thumb.png

Remember, you brought it up. Why not tell us how you know that these photos, with their artful soft focus and no people in them, are physical and not renders? Full disclosure of your financial relationship with Atari (if any) would add respectability to yours or Atari's story. Or don't, it doesn't really matter, the "AtariBox" project should live or die on its own merits, with or without "community management."

Maybe, just maybe, this community doesn't want to be managed. We're old, we're doubtful, we're cranky. We are the retro gamers!

Prototypes are fine, but please understand we've all been down this road many times now. Atari is standing on the shoulders of giants like Mike Kennedy, Feargal Mac, and P.T. Barnum. Besides, these totally look like renders.

post-2410-0-93557000-1506518610_thumb.jpg

post-2410-0-01760000-1506518623_thumb.jpg

post-2410-0-10471400-1506518633_thumb.jpg

post-2410-0-95526800-1506518644_thumb.jpg

post-2410-0-05364200-1506518658_thumb.jpg

In closing, Speaker Hat is dumb and symbolizes modern Atari nicely. A nostalgia-fueled vanity item that no one asked for, trying to make a go in the world and stumbling into attention for all the wrong reasons.

post-2410-0-33080900-1506519120_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

OK Mr. Thought Leader, do you have any evidence to support this? They sure look like renders to me.

Oh damn.. you got me.. I'm a fanboy.

And I have worked as an Online Community Manager for nearly 20 years. With companies like Acclaim Games and Bioware. So yes, I claim to know a little about building online communities.

Did I offer to help with Gameband, yes. Does that mean I might also be aware of AtariBox, yes.

I'm legally limited in what I can say... but assure you I am not getting paid or compensated in any way to say or do anything on behalf of GameBand or AtariBox. Edit: or Atari its subsidies, partners, etc.. I just volunteered to help.

Take that as you may...

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 2

Good to finally see some details on this mystery box. I am signed up to get emails about the Atari box and have previously gotten emails but for some reason never got an email about the latest news. Did others get an email on this latest news or was this information just from the articles linked here since yesterday? Has Atari not officially sent out an email since they don't even have this news posted on the Atarbox website? Just want asking because I want to make sure that I am not missing out on getting new on the new console and when it will be available for pre-order.

Edited by Tidus79001