IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

HabanerOS was leaked to Usenet, made it over to the usual torrent sites, and is now available all over the Internet.

And this is why companies back in the day didn't want to release software on Atari platforms.

For shame, for shame. We've learned so very little in the intervening years.

• Like 1

What's needed is a peripheral for the OS. Here is a USB taco holder and warmer. Because the fillings aren't gonna keep their warmth for long by themselves.

(And yes, the cord is detachable underneath for easy cleaning.)

attachicon.giftaco_usb.jpg

I am glad you didn't introduce months worth of delay, by using USB-C. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

McDLT?

I totally remember McDLT and the "Hot side hot, Cool side cool" slogan, but this Jason Alexander musical farce did not stick with me. That is hilarious. I bet they pull this out on him when he hosts the Tony's. Of course, he can shove it in their face since he has had such an amazing career.

• Like 3

If McD's made a taco, they would have to be better than those things that Jack In The Box has the nerve to call a taco. Disgusting. :woozy:

A member of my team at work made a joke in a meeting, which then turned into something that happened. One guy went to Jack In The Box and bought a bunch of tacos, and another went to Taco Bell to buy a different bunch of tacos. Then our team had lunch, placing the Jack In The Box tacos inside the Taco Bell ones.

It was a magical day.

• Like 5

This is why I'm creating something truly special for under the hood, I call it:

That Ataribox Console Operating System.

T.A.C.O.S. is state of the art, truly next wave stuff. I'll show you the board as soon as I find a bluray capture card.

That should inspire a remake of a classic show: The Man from T.A.C.O.S.

post-18158-0-38340300-1516249519_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Anyone else old enough to remember frozen tacos?

This must have been the late 60's, early 70's and they were essentially what I suspect Jack in the Box tacos are. Frozen tortillas with seasoned ground beef in them. The problem was we could never get the meat completely cooked through without burning the shell!

A bit more nostalgia. My former brother in law was the manager of the first Taco Bell to open in Hawaii. When he brought some samples to my house, my Dad scoffed and said the concept would never fly in Hawaii! :-)

• Like 3

More Zombie brands back from the dead. First announced in 2016 Circuit City coming back from the dead, then absolutely nothing for 2 years, and now looks like it might actually come to fruition (Or so they say)

Just like Atari, the original, real Circuit City is long gone. This is just some other, unrelated company that acquired the rights to use the name.

2016 Article

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/27/circuit-city-is-coming-back/

2018 Article

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/the-corpse-of-circuit-city-will-rise-again-on-february-15/?comments=1

Edited by Pink

When Sears goes completely under I'm going to try to get it for $2 then launch the Sears Tele-Games Video Arcade Box renders.

Sears has been slowly selling off their brands like Kenmore, Craftsmen, etc. along with a lot of their real estate. That's a big reason why they've been able to (barely) keep their head above water and keep trucking along for the past several years now.

Maybe Sears still own the rights to the Telegames brand? Maybe you could make an offer and buy it from them :lol: It can't be worth much, or anything at this point haha.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 4

Where was the Ataribox at CES 2018? You would think something as massive as the Taco Truck would have been at least in a sizzle reel? Did I miss all the press on this?

I think it would be unseemly to spend $thousands on a CES trip/booth if they're going to be begging/crowdsourcing for the console funds. And why would they release a video at the same time as every other manufacturer in the world? Better to pull a "Nintendo Direct" and do it in their own way, on their own schedule.

But there's no press, probably because there's no news. I'm going to continue to assume the idea is dead until proven otherwise.

• Like 6

I think it would be unseemly to spend $thousands on a CES trip/booth if they're going to be begging/crowdsourcing for the console funds. And why would they release a video at the same time as every other manufacturer in the world? Better to pull a "Nintendo Direct" and do it in their own way, on their own schedule.

But there's no press, probably because there's no news. I'm going to continue to assume the idea is dead until proven otherwise.

I agree. I think we can stick in a spork in this. It is (virtually) done.

• Like 3

I agree. I think we can stick in a spork in this. It is (virtually) done.

That's an interesting choice of words, considering you can't stick a spork into much of anything, except maybe mashed potatoes or other soft things that could be eaten with a spoon just as easily.

It's not quite a spoon and it's not quite a fork, and in trying to be two things, it fails at both. AtariBox is neither game console nor computer; it's wide open to development and hacking but has no software ecosystem. It's announced but not in an actionable, fundable way. They're asking for crowdfunding, but they've yet to actually start the campaign. It has joysticks, but they're neither retro-style VCS one-buttons nor generic XB360 thumbsticks.

Atari. Spork Spork Spork!

post-2410-0-62584000-1516292764.jpg

• Like 7

That's an interesting choice of words, considering you can't stick a spork into much of anything, except maybe mashed potatoes or other soft things that could be eaten with a spoon just as easily.

It's not quite a spoon and it's not quite a fork, and in trying to be two things, it fails at both. AtariBox is neither game console nor computer; it's wide open to development and hacking but has no software ecosystem. It's announced but not in an actionable, fundable way. They're asking for crowdfunding, but they've yet to actually start the campaign. It has joysticks, but they're neither retro-style VCS one-buttons nor generic XB360 thumbsticks.

Atari. Spork Spork Spork!

attachicon.gifsporktari.jpg

Exactly why I choose a spork instead of a fork. Considering all that has (or really hasn't) happened with this project, it wasn't deserving of a fork to be stuck in it.

• Like 4

Not if you have one made of titanium. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8ace/

That's some good ad copy right there.

THE SPORK OF THE GODS
  • One utensil for both forking and spooning
  • Made from super strong titanium
  • Threatens job security of your other utensils

Every mythic hero normally has an equally mythic weapon. Zeus had his thunderbolts. Thor had his hammer, Mjolnir. King Arthur had his Excalibur. Frodo and Bilbo had their Sting. Rhydderch Hael had his Dyrnwyn. King Kong had his bananas . . . you get the idea. It's time for you to join the ranks of the heroes and heroines of lore as you wield your own legendary weapon in your battle against a very powerful foe: hunger.

The Titanium Spork is ready for the challenge. Titanium is known for its great strength, corrosion resistance, and light weight, which makes this spork a valuable asset around feeding time. Imagine how much more food you could shovel in at your local buffet if you didn't have to worry about the strain of picking up a heavy fork or spoon. Your food consumption can become the stuff of legends. Even just holding the Titanium Spork in your hand, you can feel its power. It is perhaps the greatest gastronomic invention since lickable wallpaper. Hunger, beware - your end is near!

• Like 2

Last time I checked, there was no way to contact Atari via email. Unless you take the mechanism back in time and somehow convince them to implement it. There is no Atari you can email.

Even the whois info for ataribox.com is (still) run through domainsbyproxy.com.

I'd been hoping to at least send an email to the admin contact, or set up a call with Jack Tramiel three-wayed onto their contact number. But they ruined it for me.

Ataribox, you're no fun.