IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yeah, worst case, RetroArch will run on it.

In fact:

<PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME IF "ATARI" DECIDED TO USE RETROARCH AS PART OF THEIR "PLATFORM"

</PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

Other companies did exactly this, before their hands got slapped.

-Thom

Nah!!! One of the compaines listed as a developer for the system is Code Mystics. They are the people that produced Atari Vault for Steam. So, at least that side of things is legit.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

So how many people had taco memes ready for when the funding failed today?

I'm sure with the double orders the numbers will go down but I think its safe to say they have the funding.

Couple million and a cheeseburger is not a whole bunch to work with when launching a new product

To an individual yes its a pile of money but there is still a ton of work ahead for a handful of guys sitting in a loft office

• Like 1

Flojomojo, on 30 May 2018 - 2:48 PM, said:snapback.png

We should probably refrain from pre-judging them.

giphy.gif

I know right? I mean, look at the way folks mercilessly pre-judged the GameBand project, and that turned out just fine.

tenor.gif

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 1

Couple million and a cheeseburger is not a whole bunch to work with when launching a new product

To an individual yes its a pile of money but there is still a ton of work ahead for a handful of guys sitting in a loft office

Isn't the molds going to be the most expensive part considering their specs are basically off the shelf?

And you are not just making one shell

I am not a plastics guy so I have no idea what that would cost but lets make a totally uneducated guess at 5 bucks a pop * at least 6000 units your already 60-70 grand just in the shell

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Atari for smashing the crowdfunding goals. Admittedly those 100k was way low anyway, but still.

Hope they'll pull it off and not burst into flames. Remember that the Vega+ and Ouya also were huge successes in their respective categories but Ouya died and Vega+ is an unreleased mess of drama, courts and bitter disputes. Oh and don't forget Gameband...

I won't get the Box because I already have more capable devices for everything it does and I think it is waaay overpriced, besides, the new Tempest will arrive on PS4 anyway.

That controller combo sure looks like a great deal for some good looking controllers though. Might get a pair or two for use on said other devices provided they don't suck. Will wait for reviews.

Ok, I'm glad so many people are funding the VCS joystick. That thing is pure sex. It's sexy times two. It's a sex machine and it doesn't work for nobody but you. Sex. I'm going to say sex a few more times. Sex, sex, sex.

I'm not sure if any of you remember me saying that I recently won $500 on a scratch off ticket. I was thinking about backing the VCS with that money, but I'm considering buying an RC car instead. Will definitely back that joystick though. Did I mention that it's sexy?

• Like 1

Starting to notice some significant discrepancies in the totals on the campaign page. There are purportedly 6827 backers, but only a total of 5518 perks selected. Why would 1309 backers not choose a perk of any kind? Is there some benefit to pledging support for a pre-order if you aren't actually pre-ordering anything?

Ok, I'm glad so many people are funding the VCS joystick. That thing is pure sex. It's sexy times two. It's a sex machine and it doesn't work for nobody but you. Sex. I'm going to say sex a few more times. Sex, sex, sex.

I'm not sure if any of you remember me saying that I recently won $500 on a scratch off ticket. I was thinking about backing the VCS with that money, but I'm considering buying an RC car instead. Will definitely back that joystick though. Did I mention that it's sexy?

I think the word your groping for is "phallic".

Edited by JBerel

"All ribs"

That does not look like it would be fun to take apart. Is this thing going to be repairable?

Even in their animation of the "McRib Ataribox" the thing shows no interior space. They modeled a slot about the size of a half dollar. Twer it real, anything inside would burn up. Probably why they keep faking a functioning box to date with blinky lights. It's still very possible they remain ignorant to any design considerations to enclosing an SOC with proper ventilation.

• Like 2

The site is working fine for me. In fact.... *clears throat*... *takes a sip of water*.... *adjusts pants*...

I just backed the woodgrain model. I was just going to back that sweet new controller, but they had this animated gif of the controller, and it kept spinning and spinning and spinning. The next thing you know I was giving them my credit card information. I have no idea what happened, but I swear, once I submitted payment I heard the sounds of children laughing in the distance.

The site is working fine for me. In fact.... *clears throat*... *takes a sip of water*.... *adjusts pants*...

I just backed the woodgrain model. I was just going to back that sweet new controller, but they had this animated gif of the controller, and it kept spinning and spinning and spinning. The next thing you know I was giving them my credit card information. I have no idea what happened, but I swear, once I submitted payment I heard the sounds of children laughing in the distance.

gallery_60562_2139_12312.jpg

And it isn't a typical case... Starts at 1:50

So... One drop or knock off of the shelf and it breaks into 300 pieces?

I get that it's likely to be more sturdy than that (or so one would hope), but the whole thing basically snaps together like a model car kit - or a RasPi, or a cellphone. Nothing really new there other than that they discovered how to put gaps between the pieces. Incidentally, that should provide for awesome nonexistent resistance to spills.

Which reminds me: was this meant to be the big surprise at the reveal that we were all to await with bated breath?

• Like 1

in that video (now that I am home and can watch it)

1) are you trying to impress someone with some stock footage of chips being laser engraved? maybe that's just me, I have built 3 custom automated laser engravers with my own 2 hands and remaining eye

2) why would anyone design a case like that, you know all that plastic in the middle just cost's more money for no effect (though it makes it hella easy to 3d print), if there were no other things to talk about and that was the one and only thing to nitpick, its a major DURH-DERP

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

in that video (now that I am home and can watch it)

1) are you trying to impress someone with some stock footage of chips being laser engraved? maybe that's just me, I have built 3 custom automated laser engravers with my own 2 hands and remaining eye

2) why would anyone design a case like that, you know all that plastic in the middle just cost's more money for no effect (though it makes it hella easy to 3d print)

2) There's no indication they've done anything but make a couple pretty elementary animations and run a 3d print. That start's explaining why they need 14 months to deliver stock electronics on a plastic box.

1) Are we to assume only one good eye due to a tragic laser engraving accident?

• Like 4

I'll admit that I still like the overall design, but the way in which the case is assembled just doesn't really matter to me.

If this were a car, I would care about the chassis, suspension, steering, and general packaging of those items. But this is a piece of consumer electronics.

It's a static object. How it all fits together doesn't really matter because it's designed to sit on a shelf and not really be interacted with except through its controllers, which are wireless and some distance away from the actual item. As long as the case can let out enough heat that it won't fry itself while running, the method of assembly is pretty much irrelevant.

• Like 1