IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Went to Twitter after I saw this: Using Opus from Bloom County.

attachicon.gifatari_vcs_copyright_infringement.jpg

If I was Berkeley Breathed, I'd sue Atari SA's asses right about now.

They should have used Bill the Cat. Bill says everything I feel about Notacobox: "Ack! Thbbbt!"

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 7

Geeze. I am glad people are excited, but I keep looking for a reason to get excited about this. This fanzine gave me nothing. It seemed like guessing as to what you can do as to actually knowing.

I would be afraid of invoking the wrath of the mouse with that last add lol. Actually I am not sure much can be done about the artwork he states he isn't a part of Atari SA.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 3

Tesla put a car into orbit, so why aren't they trying to get Moon Patrol? Think of the tie in! Instead of the moon buggy, you'd be driving a Tesla, shooting various enemies and jumping over obstacles, all the while not a single penny goes to #Notmyatari

• Like 6

That's probably the best deal Atari SA's made in a long time. At the very least Musk can make a product.

It really makes me question Musk's judgment, though. Hopefully the "Atari Curse" hasn't already burrowed into his brain.

Speaking of "Atari Curse," I found this

And therein, I suspect, lies the problem. Relying heavily on the uninspired re-packaging of old-timer brands that no longer excite anyone on the planet is not going to get this or any publisher out of trouble. It is ironic that new Atari should face disaster in the same way as its namesake - unable to understand the importance of good games. In the early eighties, Atari almost destroyed the whole industry by allowing the market to become saturated with derivative shovelware. There was a lesson in there somewhere that too few have thought to learn from.

sounds timely, right? Publication date is ...

wait for it

February 13, 2006

12 years, 5 months, 17 days ago

Sacre bleu!

• Like 6

This looks like it dipped them under the 3M mark again.

post-2410-0-81978800-1533246637.png

2 hours ago

Backers, working with Indiegogo, we were finally able to get a number of duplicate orders and older refund requests processed. We are sorry for the delays and per Indiegogo, those affected should see this reflected in their accounts within 3-7 business days. If you still do not, please reach out to HelloVCS@Atari.com to let us know. That is the best path to resolution. Please do NOT post here about refunds. Thanks!

Taking money is instant. Refunds can take over a week. Please don't post in the Comments section about refunds, or the haters will see them!! Waaaah!!!

post-2410-0-12334000-1533246803.jpg

• Like 7

Nintendo has released some lifetime hardware sales numbers. I thought it would be fun to visualize what AtariBox's 10,000 sales would look like in comparison.

post-2410-0-51424300-1533309569_thumb.png

Unfortunately for Nintendo, they don't have the visionary genius of Michael Arzt on their side ...

We've got a lot of research that we've done, and a lot of calculated hunches that we've put forward in the way we're thinking about it, but the fans will tell us if those things are making sense or not. That's really, for this project - I can't speak to all crowdfunding [campaigns] - but that's what we want this one to do for us, to give us a dialogue with fans. And yeah, it's partly a proof of concept, but ultimately, what are we building? The guts of it - to be candid - it's a good laptop that has no keyboard and no screen. What we're doing with the software, and we're doing with the other stuff, that's the special stuff that Atari brings to it, but it's an attractive piece of consumer electronics that structurally is kinda straightforward.

...or the engineering know-how of the deadbeat dad of the Xbox, Rob Wyatt,

The original Atari 2600 joysticks and analog paddles are not directly compatible with the Atari VCS. The Atari VCS, although retro inspired, is not a retro box and the old input devices don’t have functionality needed for the new system. If you really want the retro experience and want to use the original joysticks then there will be a solution… In line with remaining as open as possible, an enterprising end user could use their Arduino skills and make an interface board. This board would declare itself as a USB HID game controller to the VCS and read a vintage 9 pin Atari joystick. Then you can use the system remapping tool to assign the buttons/paddles as necessary. (Maybe we’ll do this in a future post and open source the design as then it can be used as a reference design for custom input devices.)

• Like 6

Nintendo has released some lifetime hardware sales numbers. I thought it would be fun to visualize what AtariBox's 10,000 sales would look like in comparison.

post-2410-0-51424300-1533309569_thumb.pn

I was going to comment that Atari's little slice on that graph is so thin, it should actually be transparent.

But then I remembered that Atari hasn't been transparent about anything related to the VCS.

Although everyone can see right through them anyway.

Okay, now I'm done. :roll:

• Like 5

Long time listener, first time caller here...

This has probably passed a bit, but I wanted to offer up a small bit of info on Montgomery Gabrys, supposed editor of the fake AtariAge Magazine.

Years ago he used to post over on the arcade museum/KLOV forums, but didn't play well with others and got himself a perma ban. Come to think of it, he's gotten himself kicked out of a lot of the arcade groups. Maybe that's common knowledge, maybe not, I know he used to post under the name mgabrys. Lots of people in that community want nothing to do with him. Figured it may be worth mentioning. Looks like he's a member here too but hasn't posted in years.

That being said, pretty sure he's just a fan, and has nothing to do officially with NuTari.

• Like 1

I was going to comment that Atari's little slice on that graph is so thin, it should actually be transparent.

But then I remembered that Atari hasn't been transparent about anything related to the VCS.

Although everyone can see right through them anyway.

Okay, now I'm done. :roll:

Heh, maybe it would be fun to add some lunchmeat textures to the image, with "baloney" for Atari VCS of course.

Here's some cylindrical granite and a different perspective, just because.

post-2410-0-65846700-1533325567_thumb.png

This has probably passed a bit, but I wanted to offer up a small bit of info on Montgomery Gabrys, supposed editor of the fake AtariAge Magazine.

Years ago he used to post over on the arcade museum/KLOV forums, but didn't play well with others and got himself a perma ban. Come to think of it, he's gotten himself kicked out of a lot of the arcade groups. Maybe that's common knowledge, maybe not, I know he used to post under the name mgabrys. Lots of people in that community want nothing to do with him. Figured it may be worth mentioning. Looks like he's a member here too but hasn't posted in years.

That being said, pretty sure he's just a fan, and has nothing to do officially with NuTari.

Gosh, you're right. He's been here too, but not for almost 4 years, mostly posting in Nolan Bushnell Appointed to Atari Board from 2010. If anyone thought the "I thought Atari was dead?" was a new idea, look through this thread for some rhyming history. I've only glanced at a few pages, but already I see a bunch of smart Curt Vendel posts in there. Some things will never change.

MG's Reddit profile is very much along the same lines as his Arcade Museum rabble rousing. It was smart of him to keep that sparkling personality out of the "Atari" brochure he constructed from google image search results.

Coming soon from That AtariAge Thread, a 500-page AtariBox coloring book. You know, for kids!

• Like 2

In response to those quotes in Flojomojo's post above...

- for the first one: so in other words - to be candid - a tablet... that does... what, exactly?

- for the second one: you mean like a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with RetroPie, lr-stella/Stella, ROMs available for download here at AtariAge, and a USB to Atari 9-pin adapter?

Ya know what? Even though it doesn't have woodgrain, I'm going to stick with my RPi3 setup, thanks!

Wellp, so much for this then xD:

Went to Twitter after I saw this: Using Opus from Bloom County.

attachicon.gif atari_vcs_copyright_infringement.jpg

If I was Berkeley Breathed, I'd sue Atari SA's asses right about now.

Edited by Lodmot

Very tangential, but new AMD integrated chip-set on the horizon, with some application pointed toward the Chinese console market. Interesting how it compares to the custom sets on the PS4/XB1. Looks like it can handle most games in 1080P with high or better settings,

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13153/amd-creates-quad-core-zen-soc-with-24-vega-cus-for-chinese-consoles

• Like 1