IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Today in failed Kickstarters:

I just received this from the creator of Limit Theory, An Infinite, Procedural Space Game

It is with a heart of lead that I write this announcement. Not in my darkest nightmares did I expect this day to ever come, but circumstances have reached a point that even my endless optimism can no longer rectify. I can not finish Limit Theory.

After six years, I am finally at the end of my means. Financially, I am beyond the initial investment and have exhausted most of my personal savings. But significantly more troubling is that I am entirely out of energy -- emotionally, mentally, even physically. Every year that passes sees me becoming more desperate to make good on the dream with which you all entrusted me, but each such year I grow less and less capable of doing so as my mindset falls further away from that bright, beautiful hope that powered me from the beginning. I am not what I once was.

Despite what felt like an incredible amount of progress in the last year alone, Limit Theory remains frighteningly far from feature completion. It is my own fault, for having underestimated at every turn the amount of work that goes into such a creation. It is my own fault, for having overestimated my own cognitive resilience and for believing that no number of setbacks would ever inhibit my ability to bring a passion project to life.

I don't know how to make this right. For years now, I've been running on pure loyalty to you all -- it has been quite a long time, if I'm honest, since I was actually working from a place of inspiration -- yet even with the purest of intentions and the deepest desire to honor my commitment, I find myself unable to bring about miracles. No matter how hard I try, it's not enough to bring LT to fruition, and this pattern of failure has evicted all self-confidence and hope from my mind, leaving only doubt, anxiety, and despair. Some days I think to myself "how absurd that a game should make me feel this way," and I realize just how unfit I have become to build a source of joy. I wanted so, so badly to make you all proud. To bring you all joy. There are no words to properly convey how sorry I am that I have failed you all.

I imagine I could go on and on with this gushing of negativity -- the years have left me with no shortage of it. But I don't think much good will come of it. Those of you who have followed the project closely, you already know how much I have put into it; how I have given 110% of myself. Trying isn't the same as doing, so I don't expect any thanks for it, but I hope you all do know just how hard I've tried. I've simply got nothing more to give.

So, what now?

Well, I will prepare the source code for release. It's not a working game, and in my frenzy to get things working I've left huge swaths of code in a half-refactored or half-complete state. But releasing it is the least I can do. I don't imagine it will be of any use to anyone, other than as a monument to a failed dream. Perhaps those who are interested in game engines will glean a thing or two from the engine, as it is a fairly solid piece of engineering, much more solid than the Lua game code.

For the moment, though, I wanted to get this off my chest as soon as possible. It has been the most painful, difficult decision of my life, and I'm sure that there will be no shortage of blowback. But I simply cannot continue to destroy myself in search of a feat of which I am not capable. When I began this project, I felt that anything was possible. Here now, at the end, I must swallow the painful reality that: I, too, am human. I am limited by time, I am limited by finances, and I am limited by mental & emotional stamina.

One last time, I would like to thank everyone who contributed. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for believing in Limit Theory. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try for something wonderful. One last time, I am so sincerely sorry for having let you down. I hope, at the very least, that some of you have enjoyed the ride as I've pitted my brain over the years against one challenge after the next.

I'll be in touch when I have readied the source code for release.

~Josh

6 years of off-and-on work, 4 years late, 53 updates and a bunch of beta releases and lots of apologies along the way. It was an ambitious project and an audacious start.

I don't mean to imply anything about Ataribox with this other than to say "stuff happens." I'm only out $15, and it was fun to see the sausage being made.

• Like 4

I'd imagine it more like this, an internal memo (that gets leaked) for all Nutari SA employees saying how they're cancelling without giving the backers a notice and intend to disappear into oblivion with all the money, and the letter will instruct them to immediately stop replying to any comments on Indiegogo or any social media sites with a note at the end "Please, if anyone asks, we cancelled due to..... or don't even bother replying back, and we will not be refunding anybody's money as well."

post-42460-0-85603700-1538224425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3

I can just see something like this coming in Spring of 2019:

attachicon.gifataribollocs_letter.jpg

Just like early 80's Atari! ;)

I'd imagine it more like this, an internal memo (that gets leaked) for all Nutari SA employees saying how they're cancelling without giving the backers a notice and intend to disappear into oblivion with all the money, and the letter will instruct them to immediately stop replying to any comments on Indiegogo or any social media sites with a note at the end "Please, if anyone asks, we cancelled due to..... or don't even bother replying back, and we will not be refunding anybody's money as well."

attachicon.gifpanther_cancel_memo-16MAY91wm (1).jpg

I know this has no real info in it, but I still find it fascinating. Are there more letters? What were the technical difficulties?

• Like 1

I know this has no real info in it, but I still find it fascinating. Are there more letters? What were the technical difficulties?

Got it from Atarimuseum, not a whole lot of info there and i'll admit I don't know much of anything about the Panther, so I honestly don't really have a clue. Though I found the fact that they have a scan of that internal cancellation memo from Sam Tramiel dated 1991 quite fascinating.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/jaguar/Panther/index.htm

I did stumble upon this thread this morning from a Google search, has quite a bit of scans of various letters, memos, articles and some other interesting things. Though I haven't had time to really sift through them and read any of them yet though.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/the-atari-panther-the-game-claims-uk-press-coverage-etc.66307/

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3

post-2410-0-98827100-1538338016_thumb.jpeg

I'm taking this at face value, because no one can post on the campaign without contributing.

How does this even happen? How does a person hear about the campaign, have the wherewithal to send them money over the internet, without even the slightest hint of curiosity or suspicion, and ONLY NOW start to suspect it might not be everything they were hoping it was?

• Like 6

I'm taking this at face value, because no one can post on the campaign without contributing.

How does this even happen? How does a person hear about the campaign, have the wherewithal to send them money over the internet, without even the slightest hint of curiosity or suspicion, and ONLY NOW start to suspect it might not be everything they were hoping it was?

Sounds like the typical backer to me...

• Like 3

https seems to be working more consistently on the site - thanks Albert!

Heh, the Aquabats KS is in its final hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theaquabats/bringbacktheaquabats/description

I ran sound for those guys once!

They will deliver!

PS I also produced a demo in my studio for their opening act, a ska punk band who were friends of mine. At the time of the show they were called 7 Minute Hold Up, when they did the demo they'd changed their name to 3 Way Blade...I always called them 5 Minute Blowjob.

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 5

Today in failed Kickstarters:

I just received this from the creator of Limit Theory, An Infinite, Procedural Space Game

6 years of off-and-on work, 4 years late, 53 updates and a bunch of beta releases and lots of apologies along the way. It was an ambitious project and an audacious start.

I don't mean to imply anything about Ataribox with this other than to say "stuff happens." I'm only out $15, and it was fun to see the sausage being made.

I somehow felt a new company slogan could be gleamed from reading that...

ATARI

We are Not what we once were...

(Feel free to use it :)

P S Much like using the name "VCS", "Atari" would probably think of that as a good thing while the rest of us would see only a dismal abyss of negativity and bad ideas...from a once proud corporation, now a shambling zombie corpse wearing the skin of a dead predecessor, yet never smelling the stench of decay and failure...

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 2

Stealing!

I also notice that Wyoming is in the Taco Tuesday zone. This is significant because Taco John's - the company who coined the phrase "Taco Tuesday," and also sues any restaurant that uses it - is based in Wyoming.

Good Ol Taco John's!

FWIW, I drive past their "Franchise Support Center" every day as I go to work...The building used to be called the "Taco John's International Headquarters".

• Like 2

From what I've read it's just four teeny badges, a bottle opener, a spinny keychain thing, and one of those bags they give away for free at events, but "Asteroids" flavored. Oh, and VCS shoebox.

"$50 VALUE"

Uh huh...

I can hardly contain my excitement.

Yeah. I saw this in Target with the 2017 Flashback and Minicade merchandise on an endcap. Found it humorous. BTW, the red part slides off, so it has the early 2600 look, more or less, underneath - except for the big Atari logo and words "Loot Box".

• Like 1