IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Atari's new release date better reflects the forward-thinking momentum of their new digital gaming paradigm. By leveraging bleeding-edge blockchain-centric technologies, Atari can deliver maxlmum value to grey-sector consumers. The assets created by their digital marketplace enhance the lifestyle of the social-media-Savvy segment. This move proves, without a doubt, that Atari has a pre-production prototype model sample ready to meet the approval of all key stakeholders.

Are we sure that you don't work for Atari SA already? :P

• Like 2

Well, I think I know what a CPU and a GPU are...APU? What's that? ... an ASS PROCESSING UNIT?

all in one pu, tis intergrated graphics and cpu in one

its not a bad deal, I made my dad a new ryzen apu box, cost about 200 bucks for the core system + windows reusing his case & drives, its a super gaming machine .... for a 76 year old who hasn't played a game since we got rid of the colecovision

for the rest of us, a 2400G (which is the top dawg ryzen apu) will net rock solid 720p at low - mid settings in most lower end games, and can fit inside a NES shell ... so to fit it in a smaller than a laptop space, given their dipshit layer design, one could expect a hdmi dongle level of performance, which could be ok if they were not charging 300 bucks for something you can already buy for less than 200... for the last 5 years

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6

all in one pu, tis intergrated graphics and cpu in one

its not a bad deal, I made my dad a new ryzen apu box, cost about 200 bucks for the core system + windows reusing his case & drives, its a super gaming machine .... for a 76 year old who hasn't played a game since we got rid of the colecovision

for the rest of us, a 2400G (which is the top dawg ryzen apu) will net rock solid 720p at low - mid settings in most lower end games, and can fit inside a NES shell ... so to fit it in a smaller than a laptop space, given their dipshit layer design, one could expect a hdmi dongle level of performance, which could be ok if they were not charging 300 bucks for something you can already buy for less than 200... for the last 5 years

APU is an arithmetic processing unit. It's actually a subset of a modern CPU. CPUs have other units that are not APUs -- Address Translation Units, Segment Translation Units, Memory Management Units, Branch History Tables, Branch Instruction Units, Register Address Translation Units, L0, L1, L2 Instruction and Data Caches etc. A GPU is also an APU as GPU operations are various combination of vector instructions.

Wyatt is just a complete moron (no surprise) calling a modern CPU an APU as any modern CPU is far more than arithmetic units. He obviously has never studied basic computer architecture.

Note that a tensor processing unit used for high performance computer artificial intelligence would also be considered an APU.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

APU = Accelerated Processing Unit

It might have been an acronym used for other things in the past (not least the Auxiliary Power Unit in a jet airliner) but AMD have officially been branding their combined CPU/GPUs as APUs ever since they first launched the A series back in 2011.

As for Atari, I guess they're finally using the chip that everyone said they should have been using a year ago. It's totally not just an excuse to kick the can down the road for another six months, honest. ;)

• Like 2

Where is the blog link?

I have long since delete the Email since seeing this. Not sure, if there were any clickable sources, I signed up early on for "news update" HERE: https://atarivcs.com/ at bottom of page.

All I kind find searching for any blog was this? https://medium.com/@atarivcs/more-power-is-coming-to-the-atari-vcs-20c02f3aefc2 Other then that I have no idea. :P

• Like 1

Why does a new CPU affect the controllers' shipping on time? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why do all of the shipping dates still say July 2019? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does this mean daredevil Rob Wyatt has to start completely over on his spinning cube demo? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do they need to re-fake videos of games running on the new hardware, now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which is better: a new APU or TPU (Taco Processing Unit)? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All I kind find searching for any blog was this? https://medium.com/@atarivcs/more-power-is-coming-to-the-atari-vcs-20c02f3aefc2 Other then that I have no idea. :P

You have the right one. Also, the email was the same as the Indiegogo update.

• Like 8

I wonder how many more updates that show absolutely nothing they can string people along for?

Are you kidding? Most of the backers on Indiegogo are super happy about the delay, and thanks for the increase in power, and now the VCS will be even better able to take on the big boys.

These truly are some of the dumbest people on the planet, but at least they make for fun reading.

• Like 5

Atari: "We've got nothin', and f#ck you for asking."

BTW, if this isn't a complete admission and statement of deliberate/willful violation of the terms of service for their crowdfunding platform, I don't know what is.

"We also acknowledge your requests for more frequent updates, but please bear in mind that Atari and its partners are constrained by mutually-agreed approval processes and other restrictions that may be legal, self-imposed, regulatory and/or some combination of these. Details about the product(s) and strategies of both Atari and its partners can and will be shared only when all stakeholders agree."

Translation: "We will provide updates when we want and not before."

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

Oh, this is glorious. Atari, Sega, and Nintendo represented at the GDC Google booth. If there are tacos I'm going to start making accusations:

Google sets up shop at GDC, details about game streaming service start to leak

Google has already set up an exhibit ahead of the event, and details about the service have started to leak.

Google's exhibit at GDC is sort of a small video game museum, with displays containing an Atari 2600, a Sega Dreamcast, a Nintendo Game Boy, and other noteworthy game devices from over the decades. The exhibit also has numerous copies of a squished S logo, as seen above. A Google representative confirmed to Variety that the logo is for whatever the company is announcing tomorrow, but they declined to confirm if it was an S.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

It is permissible to use search engines, you know. The only person being graded on this test is the shambling corpse wearing the skin of "Atari," and the dog ate their homework on the bus. APU is AMD's cute marketing name for what everyone else would call a SOC. Now I'm wondering whether goofy chode Wyatt is taking money from them to market their products among nostalgic, middle-aged no-nothings.

So to recap:

- Atari SA is not coming to GDC 2019 to show off their fantastic console that was supposed to only be a few months away from launch

- They have come up with some lame excuse that the VCS is now delayed until "the end of 2019" because they are upgrading the hardware's CPU

- They have invented "self-imposed" regulations to ignore your comments/criticisms about a game console that 11,000 people have spent money on

- They still have not announced any new partner

- They have not shown any games running on the hardware

- They have not announced any new games

- Some people still believe in the VCS

- Tacos

Did I miss anything?

On "the facts?" I think you summed it up nicely.

Don't forget to watch the backers, though. Some of them are truly amazing. My current favorite is Andy Blakely because of his passive-aggressive formula. 1. Compliment. 2. Whine while giving obvious "advice." 3. Stir until blended. 4. Finish with sad demand which will go unheeded.

post-2410-0-27043600-1552997953_thumb.png

giphy.gif

We've got the humor impaired

post-2410-0-11856500-1552998424.png

giphy.gif

the self-interested parser of words (what did they mean by that, anyway? As opposed to the Chinese factory production? Or the localized version for France?)

post-2410-0-14667700-1552998551_thumb.png

and those who miss the obvious (it's because they haven't done anything, silly)

post-2410-0-23089000-1552998600_thumb.png

Are you kidding? Most of the backers on Indiegogo are super happy about the delay, and thanks for the increase in power, and now the VCS will be even better able to take on the big boys.

These truly are some of the dumbest people on the planet, but at least they make for fun reading.

I don't disagree, but for every new chump (latest count is 11,516), there seems to be someone who staggers out of the cave to see the world as it truly is.

post-2410-0-67270700-1552998692_thumb.png

Only a mushroom would submit to this kind of treatment:

We also acknowledge your requests for more frequent updates, but please bear in mind that Atari and its partners are constrained by mutually-agreed approval processes and other restrictions that may be legal, self-imposed, regulatory and/or some combination of these. Details about the product(s) and strategies of both Atari and its partners can and will be shared only when all stakeholders agree.

Remember, pigeons, you are not a "stakeholder" when you give crowdfunded money to shady conmen, especially when you lose your rights to get it back.

post-2410-0-76085000-1552999164_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm finally waking up to why none of the tech or game outlets bother to write about this anymore. It's completely boring and stupid, and utterly predictable. Everyone saw the delays coming, and "Atari" has stopped even trying to be interesting. If only they'd take a real chance at doing something more interesting or at least different than a commodity off-the-shelf mini-computer like everyone else has. If I were Michael Arzt, I'd bring on David Nobody to spice things up, at least.

• Like 6

There are no regulatory restrictions on providing updates for an off-the-shelf PC in a novelty case.

There are no legal restrictions on providing updates for an off-the-shelf PC in a novelty case.

You can always have "self-imposed" restrictions, but that's just a fancy way of saying "We don't want to because it would be inconvenient or make us look bad". Literally the only thing stopping this whole process is Atari itself.

Don't let them make excuses, people. The "we want to tell you but it's a company secret" canard is as old as the hills, and it only works because suckers keep falling for it. And as far as Atari is concerned, you're all suckers.

• Like 9