IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So much innovation in that picture. Magic, really. Can't wait to play!

Another innovative thing, would be making an actual Atari adapter, that lets you use those on a REAL Atari system. :)

• Like 10

ooh- they have *pictures* of the controllers on the Atari VCS Subreddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/bu6z0y/a_little_bit_of_controller_action_for_you_not_a/

4zxofb48a1131.jpg

if I squint really hard I totally can't see the 3d print lines, when they should be well past the soft tool phase

post-35237-0-82194600-1559099316_thumb.jpg

I mean the last plastics I was involved with (not that I am an expert) were interlocking pcb brackets with much more complex geometry than mod an atari controller and we went from 3d print to soft tools to cutting hard tooling in 6 months *ish. FFS this is just a box and a stick

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Does part of that printing process there produce bite marks or gnashes on one of the "controllers". It could be someone just recycled an old controller (possibly from a generic type) and added baby oil to make it look new.

its easy to knick 3d prints while deburing them, or it could be a glitch or it could be a chunk of wood

paint and sand enough you can make wood look like plastic, I know cause I suck at painting so I paint and sand a lot

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

What’s late as hell

and has a weird smell

just full of nostalgic shlocks?

What has zero games

so exceedingly lame?

Atari Box!

Atari Box Atari Box

It’s late, it’s slow, it’s dumb.

Atari Box Atari Box

It makes me feel nothing, I’m numb.

Martial wants a Box

John Phelan wants a Box

They’ll never get their Box

Nobody needs a Box

Box Box Box

*whistle*

AtariBox. Not coming anytime soon!

giphy.gif

Touche! Your next mission Flo .... should you choose to accept it .... is to write "Ataribox - The Broadway Show" ..... Maybe .... Unlikely ... Probably not to be honest!

• Like 6

Does part of that printing process there produce bite marks or gnashes on one of the "controllers". It could be someone just recycled an old controller (possibly from a generic type) and added baby oil to make it look new.

That's from Arzt rage-quitting Centipede.

• Like 9

That's from Arzt rage-quitting Centipede.

Hee hee! So true. That's such a great symbol of how this project is so completely unnecessary. The game that's already been ported/emulated in so many places, many of which are commercially available right now. Instead of playing it with a weighted trackball, they play ye olde Centipede with a stiff, 4-direction digital joystick. Or they use an XBOX-style controller. Or they play 2600 version. Or the arcade version, but letterboxed on a 16:9 cinema monitor. "For illustration purposes only." Derp.

The most "authentic" thing in that photo is the AtGames replica of the old controller. It actually looks more comfortable to hold than the sharp-edged ridgy new thing. They know it's meant to be held in the hand, right?

Why don't they show the new controller up close, in action? Until someone I trust can show that it won't break instantly in real-world scenarios, I still think it looks impossibly delicate. I would assume it's not going thru any durability tests.

• Like 5

its easy to knick 3d prints while deburing them, or it could be a glitch or it could be a chunk of wood

paint and sand enough you can make wood look like plastic, I know cause I suck at painting so I paint and sand a lot

They're using vat photo-polymerisation and the nicks are most likely from some support strut in the liquid meant to keep the print from floating or shifting. That or poor handling once removed from the vat. They aren't using filament injection to get the finished surfaces they have, but it's clear they are all one-off 3d prints. You can also see the painted parts, or laminated recoats in their picture intended to hide imperfections. That means they are months and months away from being able to "manufacture" these, unless Flex can work on a really accelerated schedule. I still say look for their excuses about Chinese new year around December to February.

https://www.engineersgarage.com/articles/3d-printing-processes-vat-photo-polymerisation

It's pretty clear all the slugs they're shown of the so-called box have been print outs from Flex. It's likely Flex is also printing the so-called classic controller box as well. It's debatable what Power A is doing for them other than slightly modifying one of their existing Xbox controllers. They may be putting blinky lights in the slug of the box and classic controller, but that's probably a hatchet job by somebody else since PowerA hasn't even shown a functioning xbox controller with even a light. All classic signs of a clusterf#ck. But looky looky pigeons....not a render in sight.

• Like 6

But looky looky pigeons....not a render in sight.

14 months ago, these mockups were not renders, either. That's not to say they actually worked.

There's only one problem: it doesn't work. And by "not work" we don't mean it crashed or is having teething troubles, we mean what we are shown literally does not work.

When Atari's chief operating officer Michael Arzt suggested we take a look at the ports in the back, we're surprised to find it actually weighs something: Atari knows how to mock up products.

Less impressive is the accompanying game controller which looks like an industry-standard controller – the sort of thing you'd see hooked up to an Xbox or Playstation – but which is in reality a solid lump of plastic in the shape of a controller. The buttons don't move, the joysticks are rigid. It has nothing inside.

"The traditional controller works," Arzt told us, pointing to the square-stick box with a red button that, many, many years ago, was the games controller. It's hard not to get a twinge of nostalgia.

The red button goes down and when it does, a circle of red lights on the controller light up. The central stick moves. It appears to have a real USB connector.

atari-controller-trad.jpg

Nostalgia ... Literally the only reason to be in this room is this classic Atari controller

What happens if we plug this into our laptop, we ask Mike. I don't know, he says. Will it work? I don't know. If we plug it into a different games machine, will it work? No. So it's custom hardware and software? I don't know about that.

Mike doesn't know lots of things about the AtariVCS – standing for Atari video computer system – which is odd because he's the exec in charge of it. But for those things he doesn't know, he makes up for with all the things he does know. None of which he can tell us about.

You'd think they'd be eager to show something different from the same old thing they showed last year.

Then again, I can understand why they might want to be cautious ... they were roundly, deservedly mocked for not having anything.

In that capacity, we would like to formally apologize to both Atari and Michael Arzt for digging out a recording of the interview – and for the following article in which we highlight that Atari is so full of crap that it should be designated a hazardous waste zone.

Meanwhile, "Atari" seems to have cut a check to someone to respond to Facebook comments! The spokesperson (let's call it "ATARIBOT") has repeatedly said that IGG backers can expect their "Atari VCS" in December 2019, and everyone else (who the fsck would that be?) can get theirs in March 2020.

I can't tell if ATARIBOT's opening line is just making conversation, or fishing for product ideas.

post-2410-0-98435700-1559138256_thumb.png

Heh heh

post-2410-0-63123500-1559138272_thumb.png

Hey William, 1998 called, and they want their tired anti-Microsoft slogan back

post-2410-0-16289700-1559138284_thumb.png

ATARIBOT STATEMENT: THERE EXISTS A DIRECT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PIGEON ENTHUSIASM AND EXPECTED SATISFACTION WITH PRODUCT

post-2410-0-20970200-1559138297_thumb.png

ATARIBOT STATEMENT: REPEAT TAUTOLOGY RE: ENTHUSIASM

post-2410-0-47700400-1559138316_thumb.png

Wait a second, it's the "un-console" because it can do things other consoles can't? Like what? Exist only in the mind of brainwashed dopes?

post-2410-0-25511800-1559138331_thumb.png

I don't think AtariBot "totally" understands this concern.

post-2410-0-91938500-1559138343_thumb.png

So close, until Chinese New Year! We totally understand your concern!

post-2410-0-84951200-1559138361_thumb.png

ATARIBOT HUMOR/IRONY MODULE NOT INSTALLED

post-2410-0-77273700-1559138372_thumb.png

ATARIBOT STATEMENT: HANG TIGHT FOR VERY BIG NEWS REAL SOON

post-2410-0-60799200-1559138388_thumb.png

We're hanging so tight, the lights in our Classic Joysticks have turned red. ATARIBOT REPEAT UNTIL BELIEVED

post-2410-0-06781500-1559138401_thumb.png

ATARIBOT does not know the difference between pointing people to a catalog page full of lies vs. actual information.

post-2410-0-76051700-1559138411_thumb.png

Hey, it's not-Biff with his not-Pitfall game, not-banned (yet) from this Facebook page!

post-2410-0-81380600-1559138426_thumb.png

One last thing ...

post-2410-0-25160800-1559141748.jpg

• Like 11

14 months ago, these mockups were not renders, either. That's not to say they actually worked.

You'd think they'd be eager to show something different from the same old thing they showed last year.

Then again, I can understand why they might want to be cautious ... they were roundly, deservedly mocked for not having anything.

Meanwhile, "Atari" seems to have cut a check to someone to respond to Facebook comments! The spokesperson (let's call it "ATARIBOT") has repeatedly said that IGG backers can expect their "Atari VCS" in December 2019, and everyone else (who the fsck would that be?) can get theirs in March 2020.

I can't tell if ATARIBOT's opening line is just making conversation, or fishing for product ideas.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.50.42 AM.png

Heh heh

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.50.53 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.17 AM.png

ATARIBOT STATEMENT: THERE EXISTS A DIRECT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PIGEON ENTHUSIASM AND EXPECTED SATISFACTION WITH PRODUCT

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.40 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.54 AM.png

Wait a second, it's the "un-console" because it can do things other consoles can't? Like what? Exist only in the mind of brainwashed dopes?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.17 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.30 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.45 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.54 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.54.10 AM.png

We're hanging so tight, the lights in our Classic Joysticks have turned red. ATARIBOT REPEAT UNTIL BELIEVED

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.54.26 AM.png

ATARIBOT does not know the difference between pointing people to a catalog page full of lies vs. actual information.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.55.05 AM.png

Hey, it's not-Biff with his not-Pitfall game, not-banned (yet) from this Facebook page!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.55.30 AM.png

One last thing ...

attachicon.gifnot a render in sight high res.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.50.42 AM.png

Heh heh

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.50.53 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.17 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.40 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.51.54 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.17 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.30 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.45 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.53.54 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.54.10 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.54.26 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.55.05 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.55.30 AM.png

One last thing ...

attachicon.gifnot a render in sight high res.jpg

I think you've very nicely encapsulated the nutari "vcs" experience!

You mean, If there's no delays, I could be playing Combat in High Def in December??

Be Still My Beating Heart!

The reason it looks like a tiny little nub is that it's just a less than $5 xbok joystick pot in there for all their pics so far.

HTB1ou8oo3n.PuJjSZFkq6A_lpXaI.jpg

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3D-Analog-Joystick-for-PS2-XBOX_60704116413.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.9.5f40569a93HPIH

You go extending the length of the stick from 1/4" to 4" and yes, the thing will break in a heartbeat from the torque. Math is hard.

There are 3 axis controllers that would be more appropriate for the task, but I don't see them paying for that.

6851591492985009240.JPG

• Like 10

You're absolutely right.

They put working LEDs in the box and added cables to make it look like it was a working unit in pictures.

The first joystick video panned across a table with a bunch of cables and an Ataribox that suggested it was a working unit.

The Tempest 4000 game play video had cables and an Ataribox and even titles that suggested it was a working unit.

The promo reel showed a guy playing Yars Revenge with one of their xbox-style controllers until it was shown his thumbs didn't match the ship movement.

Why are we supposed to care if they have a bunch of 3D printed joysticks in a circle? Everything they say and do is for illustration purposes only.

Well, everything except taking real money.

• Like 6