IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

For those of you who don't want to watch the Fox video (and who can blame you), here's the gist of it:

Fox: Atari, you know, the company that made Pong, has a new console coming out and CEO Fred Cheese-Nay is here to tell us all about it. Good morning, Fred.

Fred: Good Morning.

Fox: Is this the new console?

Fred: Yes, this is a prototype of a brand new---

Fox: Does it play Pong?

Fred: Yes, but it's not just old games, it---

Fox: Does it play Space Invaders?

Fred: Yes, in addition to new titles--

Fox: What about Pac-Man? Does it play Pac-Man?

Fred: Pac-Man is not Atari.

Fox: Does. It. Play. Pac. Man?

Fred: Yes, it can play Pac-Man, plus lots of new--

Fox: Does it play Pong?

Fred: You already asked about Pong.

Fox: I want one so I can play Pong.

Fred: It also plays new--

Fox: Sorry to cut you off, but that's all the time we have this morning.

Yep - that was pretty-much it.

I almost feel bad for Fred. He finally gets to see what the general public (not the Facebook/Indiegogo sycophants, not us trolls) thinks about the Ataribox, and it's basically "We don't care, but, hey, Pong, amirite?" You can practically see his soul get crushed.

Welcome to the real-world, Fred.

He sits there with an empty box, and nothing to show, what else could he reasonably expect? If you're going to talk about a video game system, you have to SHOW GAMES.

During the Pac-Man question, it almost looked like he slipped up and wanted to say, "Yes - you can play Pac-Man. Just load MAME on it and you can play any game you want just like on any other PC!"

Waiting to see them demo "Sandbox Mode"...

post-2641-0-10637900-1559674915.gif

• Like 6

@GoldLeader

Heh, that's adorable. Quoting here "for the record" :ponder:

SEP 26 2017

Ataribox – the latest console from gaming pioneer Atari – will likely hit stores next year.

The console will be powered by an AMD-customized processor and run on operating system Linux.

In an announcement Tuesday, the Ataribox team said it would seek to raise funds for the console on crowd-funding platform Indiegogo “this fall (read: pretty soon).”

“We want you to have early access, grab special editions (and pricing) and to have you as active partners in the rollout of Ataribox,” the team said.

Atari’s newest console is a modern take on the popular late 1970s console, the Atari 2600. Ataribox claims it will bring a “full PC experience for the TV,” and deliver home-focused features such as video streaming, social media, web browsing and music.

The brand has developed some of the most well-known household names in arcade gaming, like Pong. Ataribox gave an initial first look at the console back in July. It will include an HDMI output, four USB inputs and a SD card slot.

The console is estimated to cost between $249 and $299 but this may change “depending on specific editions and memory configurations,” Ataribox said.

It is set to enter a fierce competition of console makers. Microsoft unveiled its Xbox One X at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in June, while Nintendo’s latest console, the Switch, has seen shares climb 70 percent since its launch.

The latest announcement seemed to do little to help Atari’s stock price though. Shares of the firm were trading at 0.36 euros ($0.43) at 11:02 a.m. London time, down 2.7 percent, amid a wider sell-off of technology stocks.

Meanwhile, today on Facebook (please let's not be like this here)

post-2410-0-88162400-1559677569_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-50409300-1559677578_thumb.png

giphy.gif

and on Reddit

post-2410-0-65423800-1559678461_thumb.png

Does anyone have their finger on the Coleco Chameleon fake poster that says "Yeah, it will do that, whatever. Just buy it."

• Like 9

Meanwhile, today on Facebook (please let's not be like this here)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-06-04 at 3.43.37 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-06-04 at 3.43.52 PM.png

The scary thing is, that whole exchange started with a post that said "Hey guys! My daughter's softball team won the district tournament! So proud of them!"

Facebook is awful.
[begin self-serving plug]
If anyone's interested, I have an "extended cut" of the Fox interview over at my blog.
[End self-serving plug]
  • Like 7

Their social media person is more active than before, that's for sure ...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-06-04 at 5.44.44 PM.png

I know it's because they're the only 2 comments, but it's hilarious that right under the words "Most Relevant" are two comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

• Like 1

I know it's because they're the only 2 comments, but it's hilarious that right under the words "Most Relevant" are two comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

It's a selection toggle. It defaults to that, but "new only" and "all comments" are options as well. There are a lot of people watching the VCS page.

Speaking of which, with the nearly 773,000 views of this silly topic, if every time someone loaded this page it cost them $0.25, that would equal the $3,000,000 raised by "Atari."

If you're not subscribed to AtariAge, you should be, to help the server admins keep the lights on. It's a worthy cause and a product worth paying for. Unlike some other things with the same brand name I could mention.

• Like 10

It was a very weird interview but the most important issue is that he brings an empty shell with an even emptier presentation. It was a very soft ball interview, if you can even call it that. I'm surprised they even bothered to air it.

I'm assuming it was live, not pre-taped. It was a puff piece to the interviewer, but Fred clearly thought it was going to be a real interview and an opportunity to promote the Ataribox.

• Like 4

I'm assuming it was live, not pre-taped. It was a puff piece to the interviewer, but Fred clearly thought it was going to be a real interview and an opportunity to promote the Ataribox.

Fred couldn't handle a real interview. Neither could Mike or Retroblox Ryan.

• Like 7

I saw that too -- I forget the particulars but remember it was bananas.

Historian said the subreddit is a "benevolent dictatorship" so perhaps he still has access to the hidden/deleted post if for some demented reason he wanted to amplify the P-Dubs signal.

The Facebook pages comment section, particularly the Varney interview post, has been heavily redacted. Many more things have been deleted than remain.

And we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Oh! CUpodcast has a VCS update, one hour into their most recent audio track. No isolated YouTube version yet.

• Like 9