IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Fred's Cheddar (didn't know that was a thing) interview gave him plenty of opportunity to pitch the product. The interesting thing is, the more he talks about it, the less the thing becomes. For those keeping score, the promise now is a garden variety AMD board with 4GB memory in a plastic box and two boot partitions. Oh and the $4.99 Atari vault. Did I miss anythIng? I'm sure all will be revealed behind closed doors this week. Oye.

• Like 4

"Hey, VCS backers, remember last summer when you gave us 3 million dollars to make a video game console? Well (this is so embarrassing) we sorta spent all the money on joystick renders and artisanal beard grooming products and kinda forgot we were supposed to be making a console too. Oopsie! So if y'all could maybe pitch in an extra hundred bucks or so each, that'd be swell. Thanks"

• Like 11

What fresh hell is this?

attachicon.gifB74E0F86-2007-4190-935C-924CCB0A36AF.jpeg

Adorable how the default panhandling amount is $100. Don't worry, I didn't give them anything.

attachicon.gif0AA9302F-C287-4F12-B1D4-80C0B67C3C8E.jpeg

Looks like something is cooking at https://atarivcs.com/

attachicon.gifCAA8BEEA-6931-4335-BCC9-8C1670BB302C.png

Give them $0 and see what happens. Maybe it'll break the website. :grin:

Funny how I looked at their last issue mess and got an ironic "related" title.

post-18158-0-04802800-1560222318_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very key is that the article seems to say that Atari will only sell the units on the online stores. This is NOT The same as ordering tens of thousands of units to stock wal mart nationwide. They might order a dozen to stock the online warehouse. Or maybe not even that, just drop ship from Atari HQ. This really isn't a meaningful gain.

On the other hand... I'm sure WalMart will love getting jerked around when the product they've promised isnt delivered.

• Like 1

The only thing I can get out of that webpage with the Atari icon is looking at the source:

content="Atari® returns to the living room with the Atari VCS™ —
 a completely modern gaming and video computer system, blending the best of consoles and PCs to delight a whole new generation of gamers and creators."

My guess of what the Ataco VCS startup screen would look like:

post-18158-0-30670900-1560238542_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I wonder about the exclusive mail order, if it only applies to the US market. Apart from Indiegogo, has there not been any resellers taking their own preorders for the VCS yet? As I posted here before, on this side of the pond there are such resellers taking preorders for a device they don't know if or when it will arrive, what it will do and how much it actually will cost in the end. If now Atari means serious business with the exclusive deal with WalMart and GameStop, would that prevent other resellers who may have taken a chance without asking, from serving their customers?

• Like 2

so from the Indiegogo page, Martial mentions the following website; https://www.cnet.com/news/the-new-atari-vcs-comes-to-walmart-and-gamestop-price-release-date-bundles/

Oh my gosh!! Preorders available now! But wait, there's more!

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/10/atari-shows-off-latest-design-for-vcs-game-console/

post-52262-0-37387400-1560249996_thumb.png

post-52262-0-60220400-1560250001_thumb.png

• Like 1

From the press release:

Is this Mom-approved?

Also, a serious question: Is it still "multimedia" if it can't play CDs, DVDs, or BRDs?

Sure, Mom can sideload all the proprietary media drivers needed to run Netflix in Linux. Sudo make me a sandwich.

Sure, it'll be "multimedia." It will have audio AND video, hopefully.

Sure, it can do that, whatever, just buy it.

So some details actually came out? (Licks chops)

Because atarivcs.com is just a red screen. TinGiant-style.

• Like 10

"Note:

There are always inherent uncertainty in achieving objectives, the operating budget and the financing plan, and the non-realization of assumptions may have an impact on the valuation of the Group's assets and liabilities."

Is it just me, or is that statement softening the expected blow of severe devaluation of Atari's "group assets" either through a shareholder sell-off or another scheme by Atari to dilute their stock equity as this thing invariably bombs hard. Could also be them keeping their door open to declaring bankruptcy on the eve of this clusterf#ck's release.

So it's a Linux box.

For $250 plus.

I wonder what the suckers, er pigeons, er backers will enjoy most about their new $100, er $250 Linux box.

Didn't they promise 8gb to everyone?

I guess making it show up, maybe, on another web store pre-order will make them all feel better. Just like pretending to be a real stock by association with legitimate trading agencies, they try to legitimize their nothing product through association with other retailer websites. People do know anybody can get listed on Walmart's website just like on Amazon don't they? These guys are truly pathetic, but not nearly as much as the backers who will fawn all over their Linux box because it's "open". Good grief.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

The globenewswire PR statement seems to have most of what they're going to say/do/show. We can expect to see this statement regurgitated elsewhere like the CNET article, with minimal analysis.

Low end PC specs (seriously, "400" and "800" to indicate 4GB and 8GB of RAM?), up to thirty games, claims of mission accomplished because of their crowdfunding swindle. Maybe they'll show the UI later this week. Not sure who they think they'll impress with this offering.

Maybe, if they're lucky, it will be lost in the fog of e3, so they don't get relentlessly mocked for bringing a spoon to a gunfight. Atari DOA.

They're like this, but without the bright colors, low prices, or sassy attitude.

post-2410-0-54810700-1560255815_thumb.jpeg

(The rest of it is here, worth a look for a chuckle) https://twitter.com/tinymediaempire/status/1137073389410181121?s=21

• Like 10

this Reddit thread has also been recently locked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/byoljk/atari_vcs_on_fox_business_news/

I think we're reaching critical mass here, folks. ;) i wonder if their 'community manager' has realized just what a crapstorm he is in.

Locked because it was a duplicate of this one https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/bwdd1v/fred_on_fox_business_w_prototype/

I think it was mentioned above from Venturebeat but c|net had the exclusive… https://www.cnet.com/news/atari-vcs-opens-pre-orders-at-249-for-retro-console-featuring-4k-gaming/?utm_source=reddit.com#ftag=CAD0610abe0f

Orders from Walmart and GameStop are expected to ship in March, 2020, while supporters of last year's IndieGoGo campaign could get their systems as early as December of this year.

Small bit of sensensationalism on my part- but it stands to reason that I think a lot of the enmity is a result of miscommunication. I'm trying really hard not to take it out on the Atari CM because they're just as much a part of this train wreck as anyone else.

'Exclusive' to me seems a bit of a misnomer since it's the same info. It just looks like another article that gives the release dates from Indiegogo with the extra 'Walmart and Gamestop' stuff thrown in.

I just want to see actual, definitive proof on the console actually playing... games. my dog in the hunt and my constant badgering on social media stems from the fact that the misdirection level is ridiculous. How hard is it to say 'hey guys, we're not near as far as we thought. we're working hard to make this right- we have xxxxx we can show you.' or 'we just don't have any updates but we wanted to let everyone know that we're trying on a monthly basis' instead of 'good things to come!'/'here's some renders!' All that to me is just BS stringing along.

• Like 5