IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Meanwhile, the Switch is getting “Dream Daddy,” in which the player “meets and romances other hot dads.”

I referenced this game something like 18 months ago in this thread. I can’t find it til indexing completes, but it was around SpeakerHat times. It’s fun to see yet another example of Atari standing still while the world zooms by. 

I guess one could run the Steam version, from an external drive, booted from Windows ...if one had the capacity to do all that and somehow still wanted on “Atari VCS.”

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/dream_daddy_arrives_on_the_switch_eshop_at_the_start_of_next_month

• Like 5

On 6/22/2019 at 8:10 AM, boxpressed said:

With Intellivision exclusively licensing some Atari games, we might be able to say in a year that the best new Atari games will be playable only on an Intellvision product. 

I GUARANTEE that is exactly what folks will be saying!  :)

I noticed they were only showing the original 2600 Missile Command (was always horrible to control with the joystick, dpad or analogue controller) and Pac-Man during E3.  Note: They weren't on the floor at E3... they were in a hotel room a few blocks from the convention center (which I think speaks for itself).  I'm assuming because they aren't even a member of the ESA.

Consider that we'll be coming out over 10 months after them... and we were showing 4 incredible and exclusive remakes of Atari classics at our booth at E3.  Complete with really fun couch co-op and versus modes.  You'll be seeing some of them in our trailer coming out next month.

I really hope Atari can pull it together before launch this year.  I really do.  But like everyone here... I'm seeing a lot of red flags and not feeling it.  Hopefully we'll start to see some unique and exclusive games that will get me a bit more excited.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 6/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, AlecRob said:

The fact that you have someone who worked on those EXTREMELY high profile products on your team really gives me extra confidence in intellivision!!! 

We actually have 3 of the people who worked on those Nintendo launches!  Including the VP of Marketing, head of Public Relations and head of branding.  :)

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 12:38 PM, Nathan Strum said:

That's a lot better than Atari's approach of... uh... nothing over quantity?

I'd love to see a really-badly faked shot of someone playing 2600 Centipede with a generic X-box controller, throwing it down in frustration, then switching over to the Amico version.

A brief shot of someone eating a taco would also be acceptable.

Hahahhaha!!  Don't give me any ideas! 

(especially the taco part)

:D

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, D Train said:

it kind of makes me sad that tommy loves intellivision way more that the atari owners seem to love atari.

maybe, after atari collapses again, tommy can pick up the IP.

Wouldn't that be something!

Then Colecovision and Vectrex!

:)

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

Sorry to ask such a n00b question, but what's the origin story behind this whole taco meme, anyway?

quick n dirty, someone asked if you would rather have an ataribox or a taco, of course you want a taco, it actually exists 

• Like 7

Someone on facebook says there have been a lot of partners announced to backers on IGG.

Can't get a picture but was able to copy the text. I can't tell if there are partners or not...

Yes where are the games ? I really think a 20 employees firm is not able to manage everything. I think the games will be manage by a third party, Steam and/or Ultra.io (blockchain games) directly on the desktop. Atari games will be update and new release from the catalog (recent Blood Fresh Supply for instance).  Ninja Golf is already there (video Cnet during E3) and the releases will be for instance the famous Asteroids Royale, PongLords as announced. And new older games for example Test Drive Unlimited (Eden games is a partner of VCS), Haunted House (the dev is also a partner), Minimum, Prejudice Section 8, Lunar Battle and so on. Atari will be focused on Atari Lotto (see recent PR) and Atari Capital (see recent PR too) to fund new independant games. That's all but it is a job on the long run. But please Atari, somes news !!

• Like 1

Maxime? He was claiming that Google Stadia would be a partner too. We know how that wishful thinking turned out. He’s wishcasting and extrapolating from the presentation to Swedish investors, as discussed here a few weeks ago. 

We can expect “official Atari” to either ignore or delete his comments, as they’ve done many times before. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Maxime? He was claiming that Google Stadia would be a partner too. We know how that wishful thinking turned out. He’s wishcasting and extrapolating from the presentation to Swedish investors, as discussed here a few weeks ago. 

We can expect “official Atari” to either ignore or delete his comments, as they’ve done many times before. 

Nope a different guy. His post is that stuff at the end of mine. I couldn't tell if he was hoping for those things or thought they were going to happen.

People seem to be noticing they only show the controller and don't mention games.

• Like 6

Surprise! (about as much as a surprise that Monday comes after Sunday)

Raspberry Pi 4 is out today, starting at the same $35 as before, but with more RAM options. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

It’s the real “Raspberry Pi of the living room.” It would be fun to see some benchmarks for this versus “Atari VCS” but I guess the ravings of the IGG backers will have to suffice for now. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Well said. I’m reminded of the old Lemonade Stand games where you have to manage your inventory of lemons, sugar, water, and cups to optimize your business in different locations and time periods. 

“Atari” has some old bottles of lemon concentrate from its grandfather and thinks that’s enough to make the world beat a path to their door. 

? ? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Surprise! (about as much as a surprise that Monday comes after Sunday)

Raspberry Pi 4 is out today, starting at the same $35 as before, but with more RAM options. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

It’s the real “Raspberry Pi of the living room.” It would be fun to see some benchmarks for this versus “Atari VCS” but I guess the ravings of the IGG backers will have to suffice for now. 

If I remember, an entire Raspberry Pi 4 kit that comes with a case, power supply, and other goodies to make it more plug and play was around $130. Raspberry Pi 4 does what Atari don't, including exisiting.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Well said. I’m reminded of the old Lemonade Stand games where you have to manage your inventory of lemons, sugar, water, and cups to optimize your business in different locations and time periods. 

“Atari” has some old bottles of lemon concentrate from its grandfather and thinks that’s enough to make the world beat a path to their door. 

? ? 

Nice analogy ?  Plus .. the sugar is not really sugar, just looks like it.  The water is "borrowed" from next-doors tap, unbeknownst to them.  The cups are cheap imports and the Lemonade Stand itself is made from chipboard.  If you do decide to purchase a lemonade from them, the cup is not included .. so your forced to buy the cup as well.  And don't get me started if you buy said lemonade, but it taste's like orange juice (concentrate of course), because you won't get a refund!

Oh .. and then you have the crazy Atari Lemonade Stand pigeons, perched all over the dang thing.

jpagain.thumb.JPG.394e8f70d4b02e93eda41fb9d5c26f38.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"I've explained over and over I can't answer just yet, but SOON."

Cute how it dodges the fake Tempest 4000 question. 

"As for your Project Scarlett comment, I'm not sure how to respond. I mean, the two brands and their respective ecosystems are so vastly different I'm not sure how I can even begin to explain why a comparison don't make sense." 

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

1442415827_ScreenShot2019-06-24at12_38_57PM.thumb.png.261cbbe366ff9960380c9f1ca722015d.png

1918022995_ScreenShot2019-06-24at12_50_21PM.thumb.png.7c63af665d97dbfc00ea7a3c258ad49b.png

THAT'S HOW YOU EXPLAIN THAT A COMPARISON DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

You dummy! It's Don't not Doesn't!!!!

Indeed. Today I learned about Motivated Reasoning

When people form and cling to false beliefs despite overwhelming evidence, the phenomenon is labeled "motivated reasoning". In other words, "rather than search rationally for information that either confirms or disconfirms a particular belief, people actually seek out information that confirms what they already believe".

It's helpful in some contexts to have a "soldier mindset," like we see with some of our friends who seem they can will their brand-focused vaporware into existence by "keeping the faith." For "the taco kids," and the rest of us, for whom truth is more important than a predetermined outcome, the "scout mindset" is more functional. 

Julia Galef explains it nicely. 

Or even more pithily, Randall Munroe.

motivated_reasoning_olympics.png

Because it's hard to understand why else we'd have folks saying things like this. 

sigh.thumb.PNG.20197ffced9df2c9c2ddcae1d924a9ed.PNG

• Like 4

19 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Sorry to ask such a n00b question, but what's the origin story behind this whole taco meme, anyway?

A loooooong time ago someone said tacos were more valuable than another crowd funded console, since tacos exist.

I still say quesadillas are better, but everyone else likes tacos.

Taco is more fun to say. Taco, Taco, Taco...