IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

25 minutes ago, TACODON said:

@Inky THANK YOU!

I had a friend who loved Charlie and that really brought back some memories.

I love the stuff Film Cow does from Charlie the Unicorn, to Detective Heart of America, and especially Llamas with hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-lyMShkwU

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

1 creative freedom is near.png

Oh, that thing where you can plug in a Ubuntu hard drive to use as a real computer or even a Steam Machine?

Ubuntu 19.10 and future releases will not be officially supported by Steam or recommended to our users. We will evaluate ways to minimize breakage for existing users, but will also switch our focus to a different distribution, currently TBD.

— Pierre-Loup Griffais (@Plagman2) June 22, 2019

homer-computer-doh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Mike_2000 said:

Hi! I'm new to these parts. I'm a longtime Atari fan (not Nutari... I just like Warlords and Tempest) and refugee from the Reddit (too many trolls and weirdos on there for my taste). I've been lurking for a few weeks, and Taco Squadron seems much more reasonable than certain trolls on Reddit who will go unnamed. BTW, have you seen the NutariBox official Twitter? It's not as ridiculous as the other social media, but it's still interesting. Mostly marketing blurbs, but I could swear I've seen them ask for questions, promise answers, and then never respond (maybe they deleted the tweet? I should learn to screenshot more).

Oh, and I made a meme. I don't have photoshop (and even if I did, I have no clue how to use it), so sorry if this looks like crap:

Atacobox maymay.png

Welcome Refugee Mike.  ALL ABOARD!

tacotrain.gif.247acd03dc6b38dece5a4f39bde607f6.gif

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

WTAF ...

oh, I see. They’re talking about the 1970s again. 

My god their sales PR is so wacky.  They say they're trying to be modern, for the current market and the current younger gaming generation (as opposed to us old original Atari farts), yet they use 1970s woodgrain to try and give the new unconsole, old Atari VCS street cred ...... which is only relatable to the aforementioned old farts they are not targeting ... and then have to explain the use of fauxgrain on the modern VCS to the younger gamer that they are trying to target ... who doesn't give a shit about fauxgrain. ?  While they're at it, maybe they should also explain to the young whippersnappers, who have been flooded with the shmicko current console graphics, why the original Atari 2600 library (they are heavily pushing with the Atacobox) looks so ... well ... 1970s .. and how awesome they were "back in the day".

ok.gif.e2f24fd9ecad4e92761fdbad6d485599.gif

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

1356708300_2blotoutthesun.thumb.jpg.2eff782ed95dde8b2028c3838cb1caa9.jpg

Oh don't worry.  The current VCS backers have also "been met with an iron fist from the platform owners".

butthurt.gif.b54983cd64515f8638478298debe15d7.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This one is my "favorite" from yesterday:

Lemme break these down:

RCT Classic: A port of RCT1 and RCT2 that combines all of their features. Of course, OpenRCT2 came out at the same time and does the exact same thing but better, but RCT Classic is still fun, which gives it a leg up on the competition. I mean, it's annoying that the mobile version is $6 and has around $12 of paid DLC, but playing a good Roller Coaster Tycoon game portably is worth every penny.

RCT Touch: Mobile, free-to-play port of RCT World. RCT World was a rushed, shitty, and incomplete joke of game that only came out because Frontier Developments (makers of the beloved RCT3) were making the definitive coaster builder for the PC and Atari SA just wasn't having it (oh yeah, and Frontier also sued Fauxtari for withholding royalties for RCT3, so RCT3 was taken off of Steam and GOG. Honestly the more I hear about this company, the more offended I get).

RCT Adventures: Overpriced port of RCT Touch for the Switch and Epic Store (yeah, another Epic Store exclusive. I have no idea why). It costs $50 on Switch and $30 on the Epic Store. As a Switch Owner, I'm offended. As an RCT fan, I'm offended. I admit that I can be a pigeon at times, blinded by nostalgia and fandom, but this is just straight up disrespectful. Although it is low key hilarious to think about how the Epic Store version is a PC Port of a Switch Port of a Mobile Port of a PC Game (that currently goes for $30 while the original PC game goes for $15). OpenRCT2 is actually available as a homebrew app for the Nintendo Switch, so even if you want an RCT Game for your Switch, you're better off waiting a few years until Switch homebrew becomes super accessible and then getting OpenRCT2, the definitive Roller Coaster Tycoon experience.

RCT Joyride: I haven't played it, and I haven't seen gameplay (so I'm not sure if it's based on the engine from Touch or World), but according to the reviews I've read, it's not a tycoon business simulator. RCT Joyride is a $20 PS4 game where you build roller coasters and ride them using PSVR. I guess that's inoffensive enough, but there are a lot of complaints about it using the iconic name to sell a mediocre product. Oh, also the "ride a roller coaster in VR" gimmick has been around for years, so this doesn't contribute anything new (at least it's only $20 though. Companies are really scummy when deciding the MSRP of Switch games, and Atari is no exception).

Although, I do wonder, if the Tacobox comes out, will it have one or more of these games, or a new shitty cash grab. It probably won't come out, but if it does, I'm scared to see how Atari decides devalue the IP this time.

Edited by Mike_2000
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

The issue raised by @MrMaddog about Ubuntu dropping 32-bit support is interesting, especially if Steam is left behind. 

Here's a link from that article focused on the Wine aspect. 

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-Unsure-Ubuntu-32-Bit

Long story short, widespread software compatibility with "AtariBox" is far from a sure thing. I wonder how deep they plan to go with testing? Or will they just dump it onto the market, fart out a press release that says ATARI MAKES HARDWARE AGAIN, and declare victory?

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Mike_2000 said:

This one is my "favorite" from yesterday:

Lemme break these down:

RCT Classic: A port of RCT1 and RCT2 that combines all of their features. Of course, OpenRCT2 came out at the same time and does the exact same thing but better, but RCT Classic is still fun, which gives it a leg up on the competition. I mean, it's annoying that the mobile version is $6 and has around $12 of paid DLC, but playing a good Roller Coaster Tycoon game portably is worth every penny.

RCT Touch: Mobile, free-to-play port of RCT World. RCT World was a rushed, shitty, and incomplete joke of game that only came out because Frontier Developments (makers of the beloved RCT3) were making the definitive coaster builder for the PC and Atari SA just wasn't having it (oh yeah, and Frontier also sued Fauxtari for withholding royalties for RCT3, so RCT3 was taken off of Steam and GOG. Honestly the more I hear about this company, the more offended I get).

RCT Adventures: Overpriced port of RCT Touch for the Switch and Epic Store (yeah, another Epic Store exclusive. I have no idea why). It costs $50 on Switch and $30 on the Epic Store. As a Switch Owner, I'm offended. As an RCT fan, I'm offended. I admit that I can be a pigeon at times, blinded by nostalgia and fandom, but this is just straight up disrespectful. Although it is low key hilarious to think about how the Epic Store version is a PC Port of a Switch Port of a Mobile Port of a PC Game (that currently goes for $30 while the original PC game goes for $15). OpenRCT2 is actually available as a homebrew app for the Nintendo Switch, so even if you want an RCT Game for your Switch, you're better off waiting a few years until Switch homebrew becomes super accessible and then getting OpenRCT2, the definitive Roller Coaster Tycoon experience.

RCT Joyride: I haven't played it, and I haven't seen gameplay (so I'm not sure if it's based on the engine from Touch or World), but according to the reviews I've read, it's not a tycoon business simulator. RCT Joyride is a $20 PS4 game where you build roller coasters and ride them using PSVR. I guess that's inoffensive enough, but there are a lot of complaints about it using the iconic name to sell a mediocre product. Oh, also the "ride a roller coaster in VR" gimmick has been around for years, so this doesn't contribute anything new (at least it's only $20 though. Companies are really scummy when deciding the MSRP of Switch games, and Atari is no exception).

Although, I do wonder, if the Tacobox comes out, will it have one or more of these games, or a new shitty cash grab. It probably won't come out, but if it does, I'm scared to see how Atari decides devalue the IP this time.

I checked out Chris Sawyer's website (designer and developer of the RCT franchise) and noticed he had an RCT "Phobia" track collection you can download.

Well ...... How ironic! ?

tacophobia.JPG.f805284dbd155eed677d9c8dce0d8d74.JPG

The RCT theme seems to mirror current day Atari SA's operations quite well, with the 'Tacophobia' track eminently replicating the current Atacobox product stage timeline.

God speed to the backers who had the guts to get on this ride!

rct.gif.9bdb81854f01573aac61e6ba9e95bbf1.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

Even if VCS is vaporware, it’ll still be better than the Jaguar

Jaguar had 3 great exclusives at the time in Rayman, Tempest 2000 and Alien Vs Predator. and arguably the best non-PC version of Doom at the time (with no music) And it wasn't crowdfunded!

Yeah, that's not really that great of a library over all and actually quite pathetic overall especially when compared to the competition from the SNES and Sega Genesis during that time, yet it's a hell of a lot more then what's been announced for the VCS so far in like 2 years.

I showed this new Atari VCS to my 9 year old nephew. He knows what Atari is and his parents have an Atari Flashback though my nephew with him being 9 years old really isn't a fan. Hes a huge gamer and his parents are too and he actually knows quite a bit of whats coming out, a lot of it from his parents but he finds out quite a bit just from sitting on his iPad all day. He has an iPad his grandparents bought him when they moved from Minnesota to Tennessee a few years back so he could skype with them, his parents have a Switch and my nephew has a cheap Xbox One S in his bedroom and his own 3DS. Nintendo is his favorite along with Minecraft, Terraria, Skylanders, and the likes. He LOVES watching Twitch and Lets plays on Youtube as well. (Hes just like his dad/my brother in law)

First thing he said when I showed him the listings on GameStop he replied to me "Thats way too much money for an Atari" tells me how cheap flashbacks are at Walmart when he goes shopping with his mom and dad and then commented how the new Xbox and PlayStation are coming out next year his dad told him and E3. He asked me what games it will have and I said only Atari Vault has been announced so far and one other (Tempest), to which I ended up pulling up Atari Vault on the Xbox store on his Xbox One S and after he browsed at the Atari Vault page for like 20 seconds he said "My dad already has these on his Atari Flashback" and then said something like "So it's not even exclusive and I can buy this on Xbox now if I really wanted it" to which I told him yes. I told him it'll be a full PC and that he can watch Youtube and Twitch and Skype on it if he wants, to which yet again tells me he already does all that on his Xbox and iPad.

I didn't even bother telling him it'll have Netflix (bwahahahahahahaha) About the only "TV" he watches is Twitch and Youtube (yep, my nephew is definitely apart of the new generation of kids)

So yeah, to sum it up even my 9 year old nephew had the same reaction as us

-Asking about games, to which I can't really tell him anything other then Atari Vault and Tempest (supposedly)

-Can already play/do all these things on devices that he already owns

-New Xbox/PlayStation coming around same time

-Too expensive

Edited by Pink
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

They’ve previously stated that it’s like a “nice laptop without a screen.”

(Or a keyboard, or a pointing device, or decent onboard storage, or a proven operating system ...)

They’ve also stated that “you wouldn’t be able to build a PC with these specs at this price.”

(But they don’t answer, why would you want to?)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Yeah, it's a PC, but calling it an Atari-branded PC isn't going to get any attention.

This has gotten the name back out there, for good or ill. ?

The name wont truly be out there till this thing is in stores.  NOBODY i have talked to knows that atari is back in the hardware business.  

Honestly though i hope this machine succeeds.  I think it at least stands a better chance than “steam box” ever did. 

Only hardcore gamers like us even know this thing exists at this point in time. 

Having it on wal mart’s shelves will definitely give it a lot of exposure though.  Atari is lucky, stupid people shop at wal mart and gamestop. (Their intended market, i assume)

Edited by AlecRob

Honestly, if the VCS was announced as a return of the Atari 800 and Atari ST, that would have been more honest and a lot better than whatever nonsense they are doing now (wait, does Atari SA own the Atari Computers license?). The big advertised feature of the VCS, the Standard Console mode and Sandbox Mode, already exists under different names on most operating systems. Windows 10 has the Windows App Store and of course you can install any Windows app you want. Android has Google Play, but if you can also install .apk packages if the developer doesn't want to use the Play Store (and this feature exists in some form or another on the Shield TV, the Fire TV, the OUYA, and every other Android "console" that's been released). Ubuntu has the official Ubuntu app store (don't remember the name), or you can use Synaptic Package Manager, OR you can just install .deb packages. Hell, this isn't particularly unique in terms of traditional consoles. The Xbox One runs on architecture very similar to a PC, and when you put it into developer mode you can install any UWP App you want without a jailbreak.

Oh, and @Pink, my birth year is part of my username, so I think I might actually be the youngest user on this site, and probably one of the youngest Atari 2600 fans.

Edited by Mike_2000
  • Like 3

Why do people keep saying WalMart is carrying this dud? They got a preorder listed on the WalMart.com online store like any of hundreds of other direct to consumer outfits. Walmart's online presence is designed to compete with Amazon, and this is no different than listing it on Amazon, if Amazon even lets them.

Also, I'm about over all these people saying it's a great looking box, but little else. As a generic plastic project box goes, I never thought it was all that stunning to begin with. Certainly not very functional from a gaming or computer use perspective. About as impressive as this....us_robotics_usr5686g_serial_controller_d

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mike_2000 said:

Oh, and @Pink, my birth year is part of my username, so I think I might actually be the youngest user on this site, and probably one of the youngest Atari 2600 fans.

No, we have people as young as 13. :)

• Like 6

Just now, CPUWIZ said:

No, we have people as young as 13. :)

Really? That's actually pretty interesting, although it makes sense. A big reason why I like old games so much is because my dad played a lot of them back in the day (and he has good taste too. I always listen to his suggestions). I'm sure that most of the other younger Atari fans are here because of their parents too.

• Like 7