IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

14 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

FRED IS BACK on Stuart Varney for a short promotional clip. While this one isn't quite as humiliating as his last appearance, it's unclear to me why he keeps on going back there. 

I would like to ask the opposite question: what makes Atari so interesting that they would have them multiple times on the show? I would think there are hundreds of penny stock companies listed on a foreign exchange who would love to get their 5 minutes of spotlight. Or perhaps the Stuart Varney show broadcasts 400 minutes / 5 = 80 episodes per day, so in reality they all get to shine?

• Like 2

I don't know exactly what the context of his repeated rambling, near incomprehensible, and highly ineffectual appearances on Fox are about, but in my TV experience, I would guess Atari had been hounding Fox show runners for equal representation for months, then after the first bumbling appearance, they kept pushing for a do-over citing unfair treatment or some nonsense. I expect the producers and host see that whole troupe as the clowns they are which is reflected in the "aw shucks" approach to the interview.

There's also the likelyhood that the Atari entourage have been loitering around Fox News every chance they had on the oft chance that a quick dead spot would open up in their news lineup when the schedule ran light where Fox might agree to let him come on and fill some dead air. I bet they're sick of those clowns hanging around the offices.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I would like to ask the opposite question: what makes Atari so interesting that they would have them multiple times on the show? I would think there are hundreds of penny stock companies listed on a foreign exchange who would love to get their 5 minutes of spotlight. Or perhaps the Stuart Varney show broadcasts 400 minutes / 5 = 80 episodes per day, so in reality they all get to shine?

Fox Business is located in NYC, just like "Atari's" USA office. I'm sure Fred is on a "please call me, even on short notice" list when he's in town and they have a space to fill. He looked pretty rough this last time out, but when you're the CEO of a major international cryptocurrency and dino licensing and scam hardware firm, you gotta take the opportunity when you get it. Atari, so much more than video games. 

It would not be worth it for real game companies -- Nintendo in particular runs its own show nowadays, when it wants to and only when they have something to say. 

I think Fox's Stuart Varney gets more out of Fred than Fred's Atari gets from these bimonthly 5 minute public humiliations. "Do you have Pac-Man? Is Mario coming back?"

The video games are big business after all. They featured this story recently too -- "man finds Nintendo video game worth $10,000" https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6066805892001/#sp=show-clips

For the audience, it's like the talk shows that occasionally bring in zoo animals. "Aww, isn't it cute? Now take it away before it pisses on the desk."

• Like 5

Pretty much. And I'm sure he thinks he's getting awesome exposure. Per Fox Biz press page:

Stuart Varney takes over the critical market-open coverage with Varney & Co. (9-12PM/ET). The program, which is the highest rated market-hour program in business news, breaks down the latest in financial news and political headlines.

They also say that the channel has more than 80 million subscribers, meaning it's in that many TV bundles. I guess I'm a subscriber by that definition, even though I never watch it. 

Indiegogo has some reach too, if you stretch their numbers

Powered by curiosity, the Indiegogo community has helped bring more than 800,000 innovative ideas to life since 2008. Today, our group of backers is more than 9 million strong, representing 235 countries and territories. 

Against this backdrop, whether 10,000 backers giving $3M is impressive or not is a matter of opinion. I think it's "Atari"'s last best shot at making hardware, because I doubt they'll be taken seriously after this. In a way, Fred is smart to try to ride the wave of expectation prior to launch, I guess. 

• Like 2

I've seen a few articles in the last six months or so suggesting to buy Atari SA stock.  Fred may be on there more to try to boost stock investments than unconsoles.

Looking at body language I think Varney is amused l but indifferent; he doesn't care enough to do basic classic video game research.  I think Fred doesn't like him but must prostitute himself for the good of the company.

The previous video also hinted at an exclusivity deal.  So they both may be shackled to doing these until the big reveal day.  Because you know if there is one place to tune in for a console reveal, it's a business program.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't buy there's any kind of deal with Fox Business, unless they are genuinely paying for their appearances. That's possible since Fox has no journalistic integrity. These are just pointless filler segments with a random dancing monkey to stay on schedule. What I find funniest is the stock ticker activities running in the background for the sector they're discussing. Atari could never even appear on the list of video game company stocks because they're not even on any legitimate exchange. But the other company's values at $50 a share or more would be hilarious to have next to Atari at 40 cents. 

• Like 4

He doesn't have to impress consumers, only investors. It's obvious he's playing to appearances rather than reality. I think you're right @JBerel, it's all about the stock. This is a short term, quarter-to-quarter, stay-alive strategy. If you want to call it that. He's constrained by limited resources and he doesn't want to take too many risks. 

Atari, as seen on Fox Business with Stuart Varney. The product is irrelevant. 

Eventually they're going to run out of family silverware to sell and there will be a reckoning. 

As of March  31, 2019, net  revenue from other  operating income and  expenses 
grew to €1.4 million, resulting on the one hand from the sale of two  non-core 
Atari franchises (“Alone in the Dark” and “Act of War”), and on the other from
Atari benefiting from resolved litigation on piracy of its brand.

• Like 7

If any one single statement shows just how out of touch they are with the market, it's that "Retro gaming is back" as if it has only just now, this very moment, become a thing again. *Looks around on AtariAge* ?

Fox host: Wait a minute, Mario is coming back?

Fred: (looking down) Mario never went anywhere *mental thought --we do not have Mario* /sadness

Atari VCS Indiegogo raises $3 million; Fortnite kid wins $4 million playing popular video game - how's that for a wake up call!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JBerel said:

I don't buy there's any kind of deal with Fox Business, unless they are genuinely paying for their appearances. That's possible since Fox has no journalistic integrity. These are just pointless filler segments with a random dancing monkey to stay on schedule. What I find funniest is the stock ticker activities running in the background for the sector they're discussing. Atari could never even appear on the list of video game company stocks because they're not even on any legitimate exchange. But the other company's values at $50 a share or more would be hilarious to have next to Atari at 40 cents. 

They could just have a buddy at Fox that is hooking them up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColecoJoe said:

They could just have a buddy at Fox that is hooking them up.

This is most likely the case because there certainly is no real news to be had and it's always the same guy. They don't even have a working prototype to show the public yet and its been over a year. Controllers do not count, even if you wear fancy gloves.

No prototype.

Big black box.

Unwilling to invest their own money.

14 months in and nothing.

The Atari Watch never happened.

I'm not a troll.

• Like 3

It warmed my heart that the first thing he asked he asked him about the Ataco Console was playing Mario. The "oh, fuck me" look on Fred's face was priceless. When he said "everyone is playing video games" and Varney replied "I don't", that was also a nice highlight. "You will!" says Fred,"No, I don't play them!" Stuart insists !  :rolling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, jaybird3rd said:

thatatarolith.jpg

Awesome!!!! 2001 Space Odyssey... and...

On 7/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, Spriggy said:

iwanttobelieve.thumb.jpg.5a4bc1f5b33da217084bc67c14ef260c.jpg

The X-Files.

This is why I love this place, seriously. It's like you people know me...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

It warmed my heart that the first thing he asked he asked him about the Ataco Console was playing Mario. The "oh, fuck me" look on Fred's face was priceless. When he said "everyone is playing video games" and Varney replied "I don't", that was also a nice highlight. "You will!" says Fred,"No, I don't play them!" Jim insists!  :rolling:

I was sending a message to the seller of the shells and stumbled upon an Atari cart of Mario Bros. on Ebay. The first game I saw in the Atari 2600 was Pac Man but if there was a cart of Donkey Kong (I have one), Mario Bros. wasn't far from the tree.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, delmero said:

I was sending a message to the seller of the shells and stumbled upon an Atari cart of Mario Bros. on Ebay. The first game I saw in the Atari 2600 was Pac Man but if there was a cart of Donkey Kong (I have one), Mario Bros. wasn't far from the tree.

There is a Mario Bros. for the 2600. That's not what's being laughed at here. What's being laughed at is all the games that Atari doesn't own and won't make a red cent from being talking about during his TV time about the new console for which they are surely trying to sell from their own Atari IP stable of properties. When the first thing out of the interviewers mouth is the title of a Nintendo property, it doesn't do him any favors. Hell, even Pacman is a Namco property. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

There is a Mario Bros. for the 2600. That's not what's being laughed at here. What's being laughed at is all the games that Atari doesn't own and won't make a red cent from being talking about during his TV time about the new console for which they are surely trying to sell from their own Atari IP stable of properties. When the first thing out of the interviewers mouth is the title of a Nintendo property, it doesn't do him any favors. Hell, even Pacman is a Namco property. 

Yes indeed Shawn, that is why I made the comment, also there were many games made by Activision ironically founded by former Atari game developers because at that time Atari didn't pay them royalties on sales and neither gave them credit for their work.

Business plan:

Since this fine project is now called "VCS," the AtariBox name is up for grabs again!

With the permission of Atari's board (and for a modest licensing consideration), the AtariBox could be the launch point for an exciting and innovative new cloud content platform. 

We repurpose the AtariBox.com domain and present it to end users as their one stop shop for storage of files, photos, and videos, like never before! 

Then we resell Dropbox services at a 20% markup, and all billing transactions and file transfers need to go thru the official Atari social media minion or similar for that old-time feeling. Maybe the website could be done by Best Electronics for the most authenticity. Oh, and for full buzzword compliance, blockchain and esports will be supported. 

Free Atari 2600 ROMset with every purchase! Order now. No refunds. Shipping in Q1 of next year. 

I dare someone to explain how that's any worse (or even much different) than what "Atari VCS" is pitching. Undifferentiated commodity consumer product, with fewer features and content, higher price, not yet available. 

• Like 3