IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

OR if someone is really wanting a nostalgia console, they could wait a little longer and put their money into the woodgrain version of the Intellivision Amico. No, it won't have the Atari logo slapped on it, but it will have unique and exclusive Atari games created for it that INTV has licensed and is working on. Sadly, Atari hasn't provided any evidence that they've got quality control for that stuff - look up the recent reboots of Night Driver, Asteroids, and Haunted House...they've all been disasters. So by that, I have much more confidence that INTV will treat the IP properly and give us great games (verdict still out on all of that of course, they could screw it up, but it's hard to outscrew up Atari SA at this point).  

Hard to outscrew up Atari.  Hahaha!  I LOL'd on that one.  :)

Out of the 17 exclusive games we are showing in our trailer next Monday... 3 of them will be Atari games and I think you will all be pleasantly surprised at how they look as well as the ability to play both co-op or versus modes (and of course single player as well). 

6 days away!

:)

• Like 9

Things I'm not in the market for:

1. A console to play modern games. I have a PS4 and a Switch, so I'm in pretty good shape there for now.

2. A console to play old Atari games. I've got a 6-switcher, a collection of nearly 400 carts and a Flashback Portable, so I've got that pretty well covered.

3. A computer. My laptop is getting a little old, but it still does what I need it to do (which includes running Stella, making it another option for playing old Atari games)

4. A way to stream video. The PS4 and laptop take care of that. One's connected to the TV at home and one I can take with me.

Things the VCS may or may not be, depending on who's running the social media account that day:

1. A console to play modern games

2. A console to play old Atari games

3. A computer

4. A video streaming device

• Like 4

On 8/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, mrentropy said:

Y'all can hate on it if you want, but I like the case design and would like one. Even if it is under powered. If it ever comes out.

It'd be even better if the Haiku OS will work on it.

Sometimes I wonder what a 'new' Atari computer would be like if it were made by one of the 'old' Atari companies. I suspect it would, like Apple, be Intel based, but with their own customized operating system. BeOS/Haiku seems like a good choice for that. Seeing a modernized GEM would be interesting, though.

There is a modern open source GEM OS called FreeMiNT, and you can run it using BeeKey .  Download it on a flash drive, like a Linux distro, and you will someday use it on Ataribox in sandbox mode....or on any PC and RPi right now.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, leech said:

I've thought a lot about this.  The real question is, if Commodore and Atari had kept going, would PPC have still been the way forward and would we now have Amigas/STs running Power9 processors?  I'm not sure how much further advanced the operating systems would have been (I mean they've both been developed, just at a much slower pace than if Atari and Commodore had stuck around).  If they'd merged instead of disappeared, would we have a Workbench with a TOS compatibility layer?  Or would we have MiNT with Amiga emulation?  Makes one wonder if they had stayed around, moved onto PPC if we'd have Apple stay on the platform.  IBM/Motorola could  have been making lots more money, that's for sure.

PPC was a dead end and even Apple was lucky to get enough milage out of it.  All it did was split up the Amiga community and delayed Amiga OS 4 for many years.

IHMO it was a good thing that FreeMiNT & TOS went the open source route to stay developed.  And it works on both real 68K based machines and the Aranym virtual machine.  Can even be adapted to latest 68K based processors like ColdFire and Vampire...

On 8/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Which "old" Atari? Pre-Warner? Pre-Tramiel? Tramiel-era?

In all likelihood, if Atari had survived as a computer company, they'd be a Windows PC manufacturer. Nothing else would make financial sense. Had they kept on a proprietary path, they would've gone the way of Amiga.

Oh wait... they did.

Tramiels tried the Wintel route with the ABC PC lineup but they just couldn't stand out against the many PC clones.  They've tried to keep the ST/Falcon line going for Europe before giving up completely...

TL;DR I would love to have an Atari branded computer to run FreeMiNT, even if it's a Linux PC and see the current Atari come back as a digital game publisher at least.

But the people in charge of that "brand" just come off as either sleezy and/or incompetent and really have to get their act together to pull this off.  And yes I've been through the whole "Atari is coming back!" thing during the Jaguar years. :roll:

Edited by MrMaddog
Spell check
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Ahh, but you lack

1. The brand

Got it. Fuji sticker on the laptop.

2. The wood

Look, I don't know who you've been talking to, but I've never had any problems in that department. And even if I did, I can order pills for that online and have them shipped discreetly to my door.

3. The anticipation

I'm not really an NES guy.

4. The lack of ability to get a refund

Pretty sure I'm way beyond the point of getting my money back for the laptop, and the PS4 and Switch were both gifts.

• Haha 8

I hope your Fuji sticker is from an authorized licensee! Elsewhere in this thread are some details about "Atari's" lawsuit against a T-shirt and sticker company. They state that they are entitled to serious money for every infringement. 

Huh huh, "wood." Ataribox fans can't get no satisfaction. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Look, I don't know who you've been talking to, but I've never had any problems in that department. And even if I did, I can order pills for that online and have them shipped discreetly to my door.

They should do that for incontinence/overactive bladder products as well.

atariass_incontinence.thumb.jpg.4e98955e69c51d4faabc04664b465092.jpg

(BTW...the ATARIASS Logo Flo made is at 788 if anyone is still looking for it.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Out of the 17 exclusive games we are showing in our trailer next Monday... 3 of them will be Atari games and I think you will all be pleasantly surprised at how they look as well as the ability to play both co-op or versus modes (and of course single player as well). 

6 days away!

I can't wait! Local co-op is my favorite way to play games, and most of the best local multiplayer games are "pick up and play" titles that casual and serious players can both enjoy, like Pong or Wii Sports. All this Amico hype makes me want to pick up an original Intellivision to see what all the hype was about, but the controllers intimidate me.

• Like 2

Dubious but intrigued, [campaign backer] Tschiltsch put down a $200 deposit.

The combined effect was simultaneously cute and futuristic, especially with an eye-catching ... cover. 

<snip>
[ B]acker Rebecca Pillinger was blown away by the renderings.

[The product] wasn’t a sure bet — but to many backers, it seemed like a calculated risk. “This will probably never see the light of day, but it’s too cool not to back for $200,” thought Tschiltsch. Pillinger figured she could only afford the [product] at its early-bird Indiegogo price, not its full retail cost. “The worst thing I thought could happen was that they would have set out with the honest intention of producing the [product], but procrastinate and not get around to putting the work in,” she says.

A closer look at [the creator] and [the brand] might have raised several red flags. [The brand] had posted reams of 3D models but virtually no pictures of actual hardware — a practice that Kickstarter had banned two years earlier, but Indiegogo had not. 

Three people who worked with [the brand] describe being initially fascinated but quickly disillusioned by the project — and losing thousands of dollars in the process

[Campaign] backers in [that year] seemingly didn’t look too closely into [the brand's] background, and neither did reporters. Where the [previous failed campaign] had gotten little press, the [new product] attracted attention from several tech sites — even CNBC, which featured the device in a crowdfunding “face off” article. The coverage was skeptical but generally polite, taking the company’s claims in good faith while noting that [the brand] was probably aiming way too high.

<snip>

Other members gleefully vivisected [the brand's] product. “It’s like they found a list of recent things that are ‘hot’ in technology and just put them into a blender,” wrote one person. Others tried to pin down the backers’ psychology: “Technology is magic. This sound magic-er-er. So they throw money at it.” A few simply cracked jokes about [the creator's] inspirational quotes. “Any fool can make something complicated. It is hard to make something simple,” one pronouncement claimed. 

The community was hooked. “From the start, you could tell that it was completely wrong,” says one member, who goes by the username Otidder. “It looked tacky, the specifications were completely overblown. Like, there was no way they were going to be able to sell this thing at the price that they said they would.” Google searches pulled up [the former brand's] legal drama and the stalled [the former IGG] campaign, cementing skeptics’ conviction that the [new campaign's product] would never ship.

Sound familiar?  And we're only halfway through the story of the Dragonfly Futurefön.

SPLIT SCREEN: The crowdfunded phone of the future was a multimillion-dollar scam

NOTE:  The above quotes are only slightly edited for name redactions and brevity, but otherwise unaltered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

6 days away!

Really looking forward to it! I'm very curious to see how your vision of these classics is going to play out. Vision on these games is something that has sorely been lacking for a long time. 

You guys should also tag the video with "tacos," just for fun :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Sound familiar?  And we're only halfway through the story of the IdealFuture Futurefön.

SPLIT SCREEN: The crowdfunded phone of the future was a multimillion-dollar scam

NOTE:  The above quotes are only slightly edited for name redactions and brevity, but otherwise unaltered.

Dragonfly Futurefön is blowing up on https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters

On 8/12/2019 at 9:46 PM, Flojomojo said:

A curse of the successful kickstarter is when your product goes to retail and regular customers are served before your backers get what they pre-paid for. 

Of course, with the expert hands guiding this amazing project, there's no way that could happen here. 

Freedom!

And then you have the other curse of the successful kickstarter that, no matter how little interest your product generates beyond the backers, how much of a turd the project turns into, you still have to carry it through to the end or risk some serious financial and/or legal repercussions.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

Interesting little $400 build in that thread. Granted, it's DIY and not everyone's about that:

I had a mini stroke when I found out how much they wanted for the damned thing.

Let's be honest here. Retro-themed consoles will always have the most rabid backers on any given crowdfunding platform. For the rest of us, we've taken notice of the recent disasters and decided that slitting our own throats might be a wiser move than backing this crap.

And let's be honest again - how many of us would be in the "rabid backers" category if the Tramiel-era Atari were still going and were seeking resurrection through a project like this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Not gonna lie, the ads in this month's AARP magazine get me right in the feels. 

322545409_5sadoldmanwaitingforatarivcs.thumb.png.2603fdae8fefc03cbbbd516fc7dedc4a.png

683971570_1sadoldmanwaitingforatarivcs.jpeg.f165c4369ca63d91d8beaf034a9861a3.jpeg

410914341_3sadoldmanwaitingforatarivcs.thumb.jpeg.14fd146551c0e56cf467946fb3698127.jpeg

1515527585_2sadoldmanwaitingforatarivcs.thumb.jpeg.0a5248cc094642bf05695e1bd1c65d93.jpeg

646319146_4sadoldmanwaitingforatarivcs.thumb.jpeg.c2c9a7580ab2df0dd08167d5709d7ad1.jpeg

Check it out. It's the backers of the VCS, still waiting after all the years. Truly a perfect example of the future. To think some were in there 20s when this conundrum began. Surely the AARP magazine was doing an article about shady IGG campaigns, and how to avoid scam crowd funding.

I'm whole heartedly behind the thoughts of the "hater brigader's" sure something will eventually release, but it will be a disappointment fading into obscurity. To be another forgotten venture. Think it should've been called the Ouya II... 

• Like 2