IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

41 minutes ago, The Historian said:

It’s a novel idea that comes from an unlikely pair of founders, Shail Mehta and Rob Wyatt, who created The Last Gameboard company in January.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/12/gameboard-1-will-be-a-digital-slate-for-your-tabletop-board-games/

Heh.  And to think I just passed-over the Gameboard headlines I saw.  Nice catch.

She worked with him on the Xbox and wrote about him in an ebook.  More interestingly, Atari wasn't the latest thing he worked on:

She lived in the Boulder area and heard about a hardware guru, Rob Wyatt, who moved from the United Kingdom to the U.S. nearly two decades ago. I met him years ago as a member of the original Xbox hardware team, and I wrote about him in my book, Opening the Xbox. He is now an avid skydiver and loves creating new technologies associated with gaming. He has worked on game projects for Microsoft, Sony, Atari, and most recently, Magic Leap.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see how it floats or sinks on the merit of the idea, without a fossil brand name to prop it up. Tablets and convertible laptops could do the same thing that they're proposing, and all the board game geeks I know prefer to keep their "feelies" separate from digital stuff. 

Although the company is making game hardware, it is not in the console business. A handful of people are working on it now.

“If you play the same game with Sony and Microsoft, you will lose,” Wyatt said.

The Last Gameboard expects to raise a round of funding, and it will run a campaign on Kickstarter to gauge demand.

“We’re doing the Kickstarter for market validation, not for money,” Wyatt said.

Stealing the photos because they're made for exploitable memes, and because our "hardware guru" Rob has his hands down his rainbow pants in the first picture. Hey, it's almost the one-year anniversary of Rob's last update to his company website!

Rob-Wyatt-Shail-Mehta-1.thumb.jpg.00bb2f1f110184775e7d21b1f481a737.jpg

Rob-Wyatt-Shail-Mehta.thumb.jpg.b887c6bb9ce190bfd21346d0702c2261.jpg

Edit: Aha, there's the fossil brand name to prop them up, in the "about us" section. 

821036021_Screenshot2019-09-18at10_37_25AM.thumb.png.714b8aa8e3ec5377bb78322ba597195d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

Rob is such a mess. Can't he take the shirt he has underneath off so his gameboard shirt looks more natural on top of his manly taco eating physique? 

Rob's life is a very complicated drinking game. I don't think we could handle another starched white dress shirt in front of an electronics workbench. 

retrovgsproto-1280x721.thumb.jpg.424842371f5073353a337edbf687d53d.jpg

• Haha 1

“We’re doing the Kickstarter for market validation, not for money,” Wyatt said.  

Ummm....yeah...just GTFO and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way.

So once you've "validated the market", you'll refund all that money of course. Because, everyone knows you could totally self fund this thing and do your own market research, since you're just that good.

Any dumb-ass who hands money over to any Kickstarter that says that up front may as well toss it in a paper shredder.

And how many frickin' o-scopes does he need to look really, really authentic???

Rob-Wyatt-Shail-Mehta.thumb.jpg.b887c6bb9ce190bfd21346d0702c2261.jpg

Can I push this guy out the next perfectly good airplane???

gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, JBerel said:

image.png.7350c07929aed9837848155c9154e072.png

"Hi Robert!  We have something brewing as we speak!". 

1487201784_coffeeonthebeach.thumb.jpg.41387e287f8cfb818b5da26ae3bef0b0.jpg

2 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

retrovgsproto-1280x721.jpg.f7580a2d882135b3b056bde9b94d559e.jpg

This picture is totally fake! I don't see one roll of duct tape!

Or springs .... or gears.

Edited by Spriggy
Forgot the gears. :)
  • Haha 8

And now they have their own "Official" Atari VCS subreddit.   I guess they need something they can censor.   I don't understand why they can't see how bad this sort of thing makes them look.  When you go around censoring critics, it reinforces the narrative that this is a scam.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Agillig said:

And now they have their own "Official" Atari VCS subreddit.   I guess they need something they can censor.   I don't understand why they can't see how bad this sort of thing makes them look.  When you go around censoring critics, it reinforces the narrative that this is a scam.

linky?  well.. for when Reddit comes back up ;)