IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

Okay, once more for the special people...

Which is more likely?

A. Atari is holding back all the best evidence of their colossal progress and only showing a tiny bit of progress in non functional plastic shells for 2 years because...partners.

B. Atari is presenting anything and everything they possibly can take a picture of or talk about to try and justify progress they can't prove and their actual progress or tangible results are a fraction of what they claim.

Maybe trying to up the hype for the rumored luncheon next Monday where they beg for donations from sponsors?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

They did not see an actual VCS playing. They saw a black box that was the size or bigger than an Xbox playing Boarderlands. The actual VCS case has yet to be shown to play something that doesn't also come with the tag, "for illustrative purposes".

I'm willing to be wrong on this. Do you have an E3 tech press article where they were playing a black box? I just re-read the ArsTechnica article to refresh my memory. They said they were playing the system.

Ashens did a review of a bootleg Wii called the KenSingTon Sport Vii about 11 years ago, and at the end of the video he opened it up to find a piece of metal to make it appear the console had more in it.  Depending on what that "thing" is by the vent in the Atacobox, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a piece of metal to make it feel there was more components than there really is.

(Go to 12:08)

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

The tech press during E3 saw it play Borderlands 2 and other games. If they saw something fishy, they would of pointed it out. They knew the reputation going in.

Why not have Youtubers or the actual video game media test it out?  You know, someone who wouldn't run a fluff piece. 

Hell, fly me to France, and I'll give you an honest review.  What better way to win converts than to get praise from one of your biggest a-hole critics that you've banned from every social media page?

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

I'm willing to be wrong on this. Do you have an E3 tech press article where they were playing a black box? I just re-read the ArsTechnica article to refresh my memory. They said they were playing the system.

I think this is the "black box" they're referring to.  From this very thread, way back in June ...

On 6/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, PlaysWithWolves said:

If Atari had a working system, odds are they'd have that and only that on the table--including varieties and controllers, of course. They wouldn't need their original plastic box (which CNET oddly ends the video on) and a transparent box that's for display only. I can't even imagine them displaying speakerhats or white non-working joystick prototypes because those distract from the product. Showcase the VCS.

Anyway, just follow the cables to see where the true PC behind the gameplay is. It's either in the black monitor stand box or underneath the table--which in some scenes is covered, and some (like this) are not (though could be two tables?).

post-39941-0-45079600-1560351733_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Hardware isn't a moneymaker, and never has been, especially at the low end. Software is where the money is, along with licensing to allow others to put software on your platform. Without compelling software content, there's no reason for hardware to exist. Give away the razor, sell the blades. 

The original Indiegogo pitch from summer 2018 was perfectly feasible, not overhyped. All they offered was a commodity PC in a cute 1970s clock-radio style shell, a little app store full of games, and some Atari-branded controllers. Their failure to deliver is a failure of execution, not of concept or marketing. 

The only real success here, if there is one, is one of marketing, convincing about 12,000 people to put up good faith money on this up front. Not bad for a run of T-shirts, but laughably inadequate for consumer electronics. 

Atari said they didn't need the money, that they were trying to build a crowd, not fund anything. $3M isn't much to develop and build this, and we know that the company has had issues paying their vendors in the past. 12,000 people isn't enough to build a platform. Remember that Ouya was in a stronger position in a more favorable market, and flopped hard. Atari has shown nothing that would change this analysis. 

The best hope for Atari is an acquisition from a stronger, better-run company with more ability to finish something. This all-for-show project seems like it's aimed at potential buyers of the company, not the product. 

I'm not sure how you charge $400 for these specs and not make some sort of money but even said, we're in uncharted territory when the Atari logo is attached as reasoning for such a device to exist.

Perfect case in point for perspective: Atari Falcon with just 4MB of RAM and original 280MB hard drive sold on eBay for just over $4,000. There are indeed a million other things out there that is capable of providing 10,000% more power and capabilities beyond the mind's imagination for a fraction of a fraction of that price, but the Atari name compels to unknown heights.

*pulls out crystal ball*

Take away review bullet points from the year 2020 could easily go something like:

-"This would have been considered high-end in 2010 but it's your money to burn as you please."

-"The dollar store is full of toys made from higher quality plastics but at least it has real wood."

-"There are no exclusive games for this console and there never will be. Nothing to see here, move along."

-"The 4K HDR terminology used is just as deceptive as the brand itself during the entire development charade."

-"If you love running games from 2012 in 720p that struggles to maintain 30fps, this console is for you!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I think this is the "black box" they're referring to.  From this very thread, way back in June ...

I'm convinced. Looks like they used a mini-itx board supplied by AMD in that black box. Rob hadn't finished with the prototype board by then, so it makes sense. They do show a clear console with a board inside of it, but it was probably too buggy to use for the demo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Why do I have this suspicion that this has been argued before. Do you people enjoy this?

Well, we don't often get someone here who finds no problem with how Atari has run this whole fiasco, so not really. We do like to have fun, and Atari has made it easy to mock themselves over it. But it's more perplexing than anything that people like yourself give Atari more benefit than the doubt than they deserve or have earned. Honestly, what has the present group of guys at Atari done that has earned such unwaivering loyalty on your part? 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Ashens did a review of a bootleg Wii called the KenSingTon Sport Vii about 11 years ago, and at the end of the video he opened it up to find a piece of metal to make it appear the console had more in it.  Depending on what that "thing" is by the vent in the Atacobox, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a piece of metal to make it feel there was more components than there really is.

(Go to 12:08)

I believe the Retron 77 has weights inside. 

24 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

If Atari had a working system, odds are they'd have that and only that on the table

Also, they'd call it a prototype.  Atari calling it a "dev board" instead of a "prototype" makes it pretty clear that it's just a pre-made dev board from AMD that you use as a starting point to design the prototype board.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Well, we don't often get someone here who finds no problem with how Atari has run this whole fiasco, so not really. We do like to have fun, and Atari has made it easy to mock themselves over it. But it's more perplexing than anything that people like yourself give Atari more benefit than the doubt than they deserve or have earned. Honestly, what has the present group of guys at Atari done that has earned such unwaivering loyalty on your part? 

Atari has made mistakes, a lot of them. They will make more. But there isn't a f'n conspiracy.

I'm also not loyal. I am a realist who doesn't have much patience for conspiracy theorists.

1 minute ago, Zoyx said:

Atari has made mistakes, a lot of them. They will make more. But there isn't a f'n conspiracy.

I'm also not loyal. I am a realist who doesn't have much patience for conspiracy theorists.

Conspiracy was your word not ours. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoyx said:

Oh please. You've had a ton of facts, not theories dumped on you, but you keep on ignoring legitimate criticisms to only deal with the stuff that's low hanging fruit like delays. You're the only one claiming we're on about a conspiracy, while the rest of us are pointing out things that aren't mistakes, but incompetence and willful acts by Atari to hoodwink easy suckers into giving them more cash.

I likewise don't have patience for patsies.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

This is how you handle a delay. This probably wouldn't work with you folks.

If you mean the majority of people here who are capable of reading between the lines of non-stop bullshit that has been emitting from their lack of actual updates then yeah, I would definitely agree with you that this type of delay response wouldn't work. Guessing more so because they would never do an update like that. I mean, it would require a lot of effort.

Speaking of, it would be fair to point out that there is more effort involved in that single video than any update I've seen from Atari on such an amazingly well thought out and executed console launch plan. Giving Real Atari fans what they want and desire after all these years and being nothing other than 100% fully transparent and honest to them this entire time, of course.

Doesn't seem completely unreasonable but strangely, it's an out of this world expectation with whatever iteration this brand has become. Everyone has had a friend, family member or just general acquaintance that they've trusted initially but quickly learn that everything that person says or does is just utter bullshit. That is exactly what has come to be of what we have now, today.

AtariBox:

"That guy is a real AtariBox!"

"Oh, that guy? yeah... he's totally full of shit!"

I've got a new Urban Dictionary term now, thanks! ;)

• Haha 12

1 minute ago, Zoyx said:

If you want to know how games will run on the Atari VCS, it will be similar to this board. Benchmarks start at the 8:45 mark. The board alone cost $418 US.

Who was talking about system performance? No one, but since you bring it up, the only things that Atari has bothered to show is Borderlands 2 running along at slightly better than slideshow frame rates. That's power, isn't it?

Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if Atari had bothered to show one of these systems running their games, but then we'd also only get to marvel at Atari Vault running Atari 2600 games. Man, what a system seller and power pusher!

You know who hasn't had any of these problems? IntelliVision and their upcoming Amico console. That has been shown at E3 on the show floor (not in some off site backroom like the Atari VCS), been shown to journalists (who didn't get a bunch of  "I don't know" as their answers), haven't lost their system architects, and has announced numerous games for their platform, a year before the machine launches. Atari on the other hand, has nothing like this video, even though it was supposed to have launched next month:

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

If you mean the majority of people here who are capable of reading between the lines of non-stop bullshit that has been emitting from their lack of actual updates then yeah, I would definitely agree with you that this type of delay response wouldn't work. Guessing more so because they would never do an update like that. I mean, it would require a lot of effort.

Speaking of, it would be fair to point out that there is more effort involved in that single video than any update I've seen from Atari on such an amazingly well thought out and executed console launch plan. Giving Real Atari fans what they want and desire after all these years and being nothing other than 100% fully transparent and honest to them this entire time, of course.

Doesn't seem completely unreasonable but strangely, it's an out of this world expectation with whatever iteration this brand has become. Everyone has had a friend, family member or just general acquaintance that they've trusted initially but quickly learn that everything that person says or does is just utter bullshit. That is exactly what has come to be of what we have now, today.

AtariBox:

"That guy is a real AtariBox!"

"Oh, that guy? yeah... he's totally full of shit!"

I've got a new Urban Dictionary term now, thanks! ;)

You seem really tense.

3 hours ago, Zoyx said:

If you want to know how games will run on the Atari VCS, it will be similar to this board. Benchmarks start at the 8:45 mark. The board alone cost $418 US.

This Board uses the much more powerful V1605B APU (Vega8/8CUs/512 shaders) from the V1000 product line while
the AtariVCS will use the cheaper R1606G APU (Vega3/3CUs/192 shaders) from the R1000 product line...

Edited by H.Hannig
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, H.Hannig said:

This Board uses the much more powerful V1605B APU (Vega8/8CUs/512 shaders) from the V1000 product line while
the AtariVCS will use the cheaper R1606G APU (Vega3/3CUs/192 shaders) from the R1000 product line...

Watch the hyperbole. Not as many CUs, but 1606G isn't dramatically slower. The R1000 line is a generation newer, and so notably faster than the V1000 line.

4 hours ago, Zoyx said:

I appreciate that you are a realist.

That is why you are one of us, because the Atari VCS doesn't exist and you cannot be a realist and believe in something that does not exist.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1