IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

6 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Atari is coming across as a teen on social media with the updates "Tune in tomorrow! I'll be dropping the Bomb biggety news update!"

I don't think I've ever heard a teenager talk like that. xD

Not even in the 1990's. Lol. o u o 

16 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

These two videos show that pesky cable going underneath the TV through the front of the cabinet

I figured that there was probably a power connector in the cabinet, and that's what Atari later explained on Indiegogo.

16 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

Not to mention: the sandbox mode video, on top of being poorly edited and having a black screen for nearly ten seconds in the middle of it, shows that the "console" is only being controlled via wireless keyboard and mouse. It does look like in the Fortnite video that the controller is being used to play the game, and based on those loud clicking noises, they'd like to suggest that it's plugged into that unit. But if you were to compare that video to the Sandbox demo one, because they haven't moved it at all between the two, you'd clearly see that the controller isn't plugged into the front left USB port like the video suggests. While that controller is actually playing the game, it isn't controlling the TacoBox sitting up there. That showroom unit is doing next to nothing but looking pretty for the camera.

Why would one expect a PC running Windows to be controlled by anything other than a keyboard and mouse, except when playing games?  To me that's a key problem with their entire platform as a set top box, especially when they basically have no AtariOS games or streaming services.  You're probably going to be switching between controllers and keyboard/mouse often with this thing.  You may need a keyboard/mouse to use video streaming services since it will all be in-browser.

If Atari wants to post something to social media they have to cut it to about 1 minute.  It's probably just slow to boot, and they cut it so you could see each part of the boot process which makes sense.  It also makes sense that they'd be bad at filming and using a video editor.

Aren't the Atari controllers wireless?  The USB cable is probably running to the keyboard and/or mouse.   

It all looks really clumsy and janky, but nothing here looks like deception to me.

If they're faking it, I don't think it's possible to determine from these videos.  I think we'll just have to wait and see what other journalists write (or don't write) after seeing the stuff to really get an idea of how legit and stable everything is.  They also may be holding back a little more footage and/or gameplay to post on social media in the last few days of CES.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, racerx said:

Now that I think about it, though...how awesome would it have been if instead of "Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before" they'd gone with "Atari VCS: Trying To Come Up With Something" for the IGG campaign?

Behold, the hawt new business model that is guaranteed to make you billions of Zimbabwe dollars!

tenor.gif?itemid=3442786

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

It all looks really clumsy and janky, but nothing here looks like deception to me.

Normally I would agree, but when the history of this project has revealed layers and layers of deception/half truths/manipulations, it's difficult to not automatically assume the worst.

But as someone else said, there is a really easy solution, that would end all of the speculation.  Just post a nice short video, post it to you tube if it's too long for social media.  Show someone plugging the unit into the wall, plugging the unit into a tv, pressing the power button, and showing the thing boot up.  Load up Mega Vault or Ultra vault or whatever it's called, and start a quick game of "Asteroid", or "Yar's Revenge".

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

Normally I would agree, but when the history of this project has revealed layers and layers of deception/half truths/manipulations, it's difficult to not automatically assume the worst.

But as someone else said, there is a really easy solution, that would end all of the speculation.  Just post a nice short video, post it to you tube if it's too long for social media.  Show someone plugging the unit into the wall, plugging the unit into a tv, pressing the power button, and showing the thing boot up.  Load up Mega Vault or Ultra vault or whatever it's called, and start a quick game of "Asteroid", or "Yar's Revenge".

You would find something else, another cable you can't perfectly see. Also that is a ridiculous expectation, no company would do that.

There's plenty to mock, they came up with a barebone PC with an Atari OS that seemingly is yet unfinished. That is enough to poke fun at. No need to imagine absurd conspiracy

Edited by Zor
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

the history of this project has revealed layers and layers of deception/half truths/manipulations

Lots of half-truths and deception, but this would be a full on lie about something pretty big, and it would probably have legal implications if they failed to deliver.  If they're willing to fake footage of a "working" board, then why didn't they do it last year to appease people?  If they're willing to straight up lie, then why don't they go ahead and list the Indiegogo project as "in production"?  Plus when they were at E3, it seemed like they were being very careful with their language to avoid it being an explicit lie about what they showed in the private suite.  Despite a lot of unsavory behavior, it seems there's a limit to how straight of a lie they're willing to tell.

I don't see the Tempest 4000 footage shown early in the project as quite the same thing.  It was a bit misleading, but it was also easy to imagine that it was just a mockup/advertisement at that point.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zor said:

You would find something else, another cable you can't perfectly see. Also that is a ridiculous expectation, no company would do that.

There's plenty to mock, they came up with a barebone PC with an Atari OS that seemingly is yet unfinished. That is enough to poke fun at. No need to imagine absurd conspiracy

I can't speak for anyone else, but that would convince me, and I'm sure it would go a long way to changing many other peoples opinions.

As far as imaginary conspiracies, just look back in this thread.  There are enough that are real that would lead most rational people to at least pause.

If I was on the brink of releasing a new console to the public, I would certainly do everything in my power to convince people that it was real, that it worked, and that nothing was faked, especially in the current environment where situations like the Retro/Chameleon debacle happened.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but that would convince me, and I'm sure it would go a long way to changing many other peoples opinions.

As far as imaginary conspiracies, just look back in this thread.  There are enough that are real that would lead most rational people to at least pause.

If I was on the brink of releasing a new console to the public, I would certainly do everything in my power to convince people that it was real, that it worked, and that nothing was faked, especially in the current environment where situations like the Retro/Chameleon debacle happened.

If they were at that level of fraudulent behavior, it would be extremely easy to fake such a video (do a video as you request while having a 2nd hdmi from a hidden computer plugged in a wall mounted tv, you wouldn't see shit).

So that would be pointless and look silly. If you want to buy that thing, wait until they send a unit to a third party for review

8 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Lots of half-truths and deception, but this would be a full on lie about something pretty big, and it would probably have legal implications if they failed to deliver.  If they're willing to fake footage of a "working" board, then why didn't they do it last year to appease people?  If they're willing to straight up lie, then why don't they go ahead and list the Indiegogo project as "in production"?  Plus when they were at E3, it seemed like they were being very careful with their language to avoid it being an explicit lie about what they showed in the private suite.  Despite a lot of unsavory behavior, it seems there's a limit to how straight of a lie they're willing to tell.

I don't see the Tempest 4000 footage shown early in the project as quite the same thing.  It was a bit misleading, but it was also easy to imagine that it was just a mockup/advertisement at that point.

Well I suppose technically they aren't lying about this either.

In their medium post they say this:  
At CES 2020, Atari is hosting invite-only, hands-on demonstrations of the Atari VCS dashboard GUI (Graphical User Interface), Atari Vault, Antstream Arcade, and Sandbox PC Mode, which will include accessing everything from a Windows desktop to Steam games to streaming apps. Atari VCS appearance models will be on hand to show everyone how the finished Atari VCS hardware will look.

So I suppose one could say they never actually said any of this was being displayed on an actual VCS, just that they were demonstrating the dashboard interface.

So, again we're back to deception/half truths.

• Like 7

Even giving Atari the full benefit of doubt, and accepting everything shown in these videos of an operational VCS II is truth, what do you have?

It has no custom operating system, games, or GUI of it's own. It boots into Windows 10, and then loads/plays a PC game.

So, it is a PC. Not only a PC, but one as it is now that will require additional work and cost from its users (buying a Windows licence and HDD, time spent installing said drive, OS and games) to achieve the level of functionality displayed.

If this is what I was getting for 250$, I certainly would not be in any way ecstatic about what I just watched.

It does however bring to mind a half-remembered joke from when I was a kid; I believe a Wizard of Id strip? They were all trying to put together a horribly complex machine, after a lot of work they switch it on it starts shaking, and noise and sounds start coming out of it. One of them says to the other 'Is it supposed to be doing this?' to which another replies 'Who cares? At least it is doing something'.

Which is all the current backer excitement in a nutshell. Happy just to see a VCS II finally doing something, even if it is not much more then a unfinished PC.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Zor said:

If you want to buy that thing, wait until they send a unit to a third party for review

You're probably right.  That would be the best way to convince everyone that what they have is real and works.  I mean I'm sure people would still find ways to question that, but seems like the best solution at this point.

Hopefully they actually do this.

At CES 2020, Atari is hosting invite-only, hands-on demonstrations of the Atari VCS dashboard GUI (Graphical User Interface), Atari Vault, Antstream Arcade, and Sandbox PC Mode, which will include accessing everything from a Windows desktop to Steam games to streaming apps. Atari VCS appearance models will be on hand to show everyone how the finished Atari VCS hardware will look.

So I suppose one could say they never actually said any of this was being displayed on an actual VCS, just that they were demonstrating the dashboard interface.

I actually did notice that ambiguous language when they first posted it, but I thought they had been more explicit on social media.  However upon review, I notice that they are ambiguous in pretty much every post and comment on social media about what it's actually running on.  Lol, okay so that's a little weird.  I might try asking them to clarify since this could potentially be cleared up easily.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

I actually did notice that ambiguous language when they first posted it, but I thought they had been more explicit on social media.  However upon review, I notice that they are ambiguous in pretty much every post and comment on social media about what it's actually running on.  Lol, okay so that's a little weird.  I might try asking them to clarify since this could potentially be cleared up easily.

I wish you the best of luck in getting Atari to respond to you for clarification on anything. They've done an awful job at that.... Actually, to be perfectly honest, they haven't done that. Lol. Their communication is literally non-existent except when people are saying "We're excited for the VCS! :D" etc.

Funny thing is, I've seen diehard supporters like Jessie Scroggins ask some perfectly legitimate questions directed to Atari in the IGG comments, and they never responded to him-- yet he lets it slide that way and continues about his positive tone. How the hell does that NOT raise any red flags in his head? I have no idea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just to refresh everyone's memory ... 

Please keep in mind they put out some of these videos and only later edited the description to read "For illustration purposes only."

2 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

Despite a lot of unsavory behavior, it seems there's a limit to how straight of a lie they're willing to tell.

Gameplay scenes in their launch video were all lies (non-functional consoles):

This was a lie (non-functional console):

This was a lie (Atari VCS text, begins with a non-functional console):

This was a lie (Atari VCS text, non-functional consoles and joystick on table):

E3 was a big fat lie.  I don't recall if they posted pictures from their outboarding suite, but they were happy to let others talk about it like it was a real, functional VCS prototype.  We were the ones that called them out on their black box, of which they later admitted.  They had multiple Atariboxes with glowing lights and cables plugged into some boxes.  Not a single news outlet called them on it:

I suspect there are more instances, but c'mon... 1000 pages is a lot! :D  
The Register called them out on one conference, and Artz called the author a liar ... until audio recordings revealed who was actually fibbing.  None of this would matter if they didn't crowdfund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

49 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

Well I suppose technically they aren't lying about this either.

In their medium post they say this:  

So, again we're back to deception/half truths.

46 minutes ago, Tavi said:

Even giving Atari the full benefit of doubt, and accepting everything shown in these videos of an operational VCS II is truth, what do you have?

It has no custom operating system, games, or GUI of it's own. It boots into Windows 10, and then loads/plays a PC game.

So, it is a PC. Not only a PC, but one as it is now that will require additional work and cost from its users (buying a Windows licence and HDD, time spent installing said drive, OS and games) to achieve the level of functionality displayed.

If this is what I was getting for 250$, I certainly would not be in any way ecstatic about what I just watched.

It does however bring to mind a half-remembered joke from when I was a kid; I believe a Wizard of Id strip? They were all trying to put together a horribly complex machine, after a lot of work they switch it on it starts shaking, and noise and sounds start coming out of it. One of them says to the other 'Is it supposed to be doing this?' to which another replies 'Who cares? At least it is doing something'.

Which is all the current backer excitement in a nutshell. Happy just to see a VCS II finally doing something, even if it is not much more then a unfinished PC.

You're probably right.  That would be the best way to convince everyone that what they have is real and works.  I mean I'm sure people would still find ways to question that, but seems like the best solution at this point.

Hopefully they actually do this.

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

nobodycares.thumb.png.049c676dcf648466c383b23c5369fd69.png

I noticed my last post stirred up a bit of discussion (3 whole notifications from this thread!), and even with the honestly reasonable explanations of the power cable to the VCS being plugged in below and [of course] computers are of course controlled with keyboards and mice, I stand by everything else I said in the previous post. The controller cable is not plugged into a front USB port (looks like it's not even plugged into it), the menu UI is only controlled via the keyboard and mouse (kinda strange , and the TacoBox doesn't appear to be functioning correctly if at all. It looks incredible suspect when those few bad looking videos come from months upon months of deception and half-truths. On top of that, the language does look intentionally vague enough where if one of the people they handpicked to get a close look at the VCS sees that it's actually not what's being shown off, they can fallback on, "We never actually said we were demonstrating a working VCS unit at CES!"

...With that said, what's been demonstrated looks abysmal. We aren't even seeing Atari's own games working on the system, and both EGS and Fortnite look like they aren't even loading at a reasonable speed. So the divided opinions of the day here are faking a working unit poorly, or having a poorly working show unit. Take your pick, it just looks poor on Atari's part.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, RainbowCemetery said:

they been bullshitting so long i have trouble imagining they'd do somethin legit even if it was easier than faking it

Tossing in some generic potato PC board, whipping up some 3d printed case, and slapping the logo on said case would have been far less work than all of these shenanigans. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

...With that said, what's been demonstrated looks abysmal. We aren't even seeing Atari's own games working on the system, and both EGS and Fortnite look like they aren't even loading at a reasonable speed.

Exactly, why would you fake that ?

If it was fake, they would show:

- Atari OS launching something, and looking nice as in their trailer, instead of that ugly mess (imho) 

- Windows booting fast

- Image scaled to the TV

-(edit): and you would make a proper video (just tried to film my tv running a computer in my living room with my phone under dim ligthing, it does not produce that kind of blue mess)

Edited by Zor
  • Like 3

^^ Agreed, this took too much time, resources and $$$ just to show this, software is where most of the work should have been done.
This cr*p should have been knocked together in a month. 3D printed case a day.

But I am guessing Cheeseguy and friends are not ones to do any manual labor, it is beneth them, Atari Royalty, they only know how to handle paperwork when they are trying to sue someone because they put 2 breadsticks and a gumball on a table and it resembled Pong.

(Allegedly)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Zor said:

Exactly, why would you fake that ?

If it was fake, they would show:

- Atari OS launching something, and looking nice as in their trailer, instead of that ugly mess (imho) 

- Windows booting fast

- Image scaled to the TV

-(edit): and you would make a proper video (just tried to film my tv running a computer in my living room with my phone under dim ligthing, it does not produce that kind of blue mess)

Good question, but Windows is working about as well in those demos as one would expect on an AMD single board computer, even if it's not the same one Atari's shown us up to now. Considering the video demos are not being done with the clear shelled unit that actually shows us the board, they could easily bought and used a similarly spec'd board in that shell if it's not just sitting pretty as I'm still maintaining.

• Like 3