IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I can't wait for Atari to start using the line "No sales are good sales!" in the event that this thing ever reaches production.

And the TED talk by Fred Chesnais about how to cut staff and save money on development and support by not developing or supporting anything. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Agillig said:

Sounds like an interesting idea for a VCS launch title.  In the game, you and your friends are white knights fighting against the wicked troll monster with your pitchforks to defend the honor of the French damsel in distress.

At the end of the game, there's a big reveal:  There is no troll monster.  You're delusional, and the whole time the "giant trolls" you've been fighting were playground equipment.   As the cops haul you off to jail for destroying a slide, you see your damsel in distress point and laugh at you.  It is then you realize the whole time she was manipulating your emotions for fun while she worked out a deal to open hotels.

Seems like a winner!

Then you find out the damsel is really Chesnais tied to railroad tracks in a dress.

image.png.bbd09fe680e7b68bfc8de43f4f5ac85d.png

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TheVgaTv said:

So is there an over/under on how likely Atari is to use the Corona virus in China as the excuse as to why they don't make the March shipment date?  

"well WE had everything ready to go, but that dang virus just shut the factory down.  It could be years before they get up an and running again"

Which would be a completely understandable explanation if the system had been seen in the wild and has been playing by non-Atari employees.   The Polymega is a good example of this.   Regardless of whatever issues they are having, it seems to be a real product. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Which would be a completely understandable explanation if the system had been seen in the wild and has been playing by non-Atari employees.   The Polymega is a good example of this.   Regardless of whatever issues they are having, it seems to be a real product. 

I am sure Atari would love to have an excuse other then 'Sorry, we are still not even close to being ready' to give backers for the next delay.

But the timing is wrong. In 3 days every factory in China is going to be shut down for a month or more for their biggest holiday. This is a well known and yearly event, and should have been taken into account in manufacturing well before now.

So, the shutdown was going to occur either way. Now, if the outbreak is still going after a month (that is a horrid thought) then that might be a legitimate cause of unexpected manufacturing delays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

B-BUT A COUPLE OF RANDOM GUYS HELD THE CONTROLLERS!

Clearly it's all legitimate and above-board. 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Tavi said:

Now, if the outbreak is still going after a month (that is a horrid thought) then that might be a legitimate cause of unexpected manufacturing delays.

The outbreak is far more serious, than you think.  So some digging, it is already confirmed in 5 people in the U.S. and over 90,000 in China.  Over hundred dead so far, Japan is starting to freak out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

The outbreak is far more serious, than you think.  So some digging, it is already confirmed in 5 people in the U.S. and over 90,000 in China.  Over hundred dead so far, Japan is starting to freak out.

Yes, it is not looking good. We have a few reported cases here in multiple cities in Canada as well.

It seems going on the honour system for people travelling here from China reporting if they are sick or might have been exposed worked about as well as you would expect it to.

I am hoping it will be like Ebola; with one big outbreak and once governments and WHO start to take it seriously, it quickly gets contained.

I had no idea China was that bad already, then news is not really covering it here other then reporting on the few cases here.

1 hour ago, Tavi said:

Yes, it is not looking good. We have a few reported cases here in multiple cities in Canada as well.

It seems going on the honour system for people travelling here from China reporting if they are sick or might have been exposed worked about as well as you would expect it to.

I am hoping it will be like Ebola; with one big outbreak and once governments and WHO start to take it seriously, it quickly gets contained.

I had no idea China was that bad already, then news is not really covering it here other then reporting on the few cases here.

I'm no expect and feel free to contradict. But so far, thousands of people would be dead already of the "normal" flu that happens every year. So this is a different thing, new strand of coronavirus, good reason for health auhorities to be watchful. But any reason for the general public to worry about ? (while we generally don't give a f that thousands of people die of the flu every year, should we really worry that 3 people with that thing have been found in Canada/France/your country ?)

As for Ebola, from what I understood, it is a disaster in Africa, and for the rest of the world a good inspiration for pandemic movies, but I think I've read doctors saying that we've known pretty well that it had basically zero chance to be a pandemic in Europe. (because conditions are just not there to allow for the virus to spread).

As for the VCS, it sounds like a godsend for explaining a delay. Add that factory workers are sick to make anyone objecting to it being a convenient excuse look like a heartless asshole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tavi said:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of politics that get involved here. China doesn't want to look weak, there's a lot of unrest going on in the country to start with, Hong Kong protestors believe that it's a plot to squash what they're doing, doctors don't want to get caught saying something that a politician doesn't like, etc.

Whatever numbers you're hearing in the media, expect the real ones to be much higher.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

The biological research lab RLSW in Wuhan has the same logo as the Umbrella Corporation.  Wuhan is the city where the Corona virus originated.  Corona is an anagram for Racoon.

We are fucked.

corona.jpg

The Umbrella Corporation is located in raccoon city, not racoon city.
We are save ;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoonyLucas said:

The biological research lab RLSW in Wuhan has the same logo as the Umbrella Corporation.  Wuhan is the city where the Corona virus originated.  Corona is an anagram for Racoon.

We are fucked.

corona.jpg

So now that you are on AtariAge is Karl going to give you the ban hammer now?

Also, if we give you a Biffy Award could you deliver it to him for us?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

For something that should be shipping at literally any moment, they sure don't want to show people a working unit

The audacity in that snippet is mind blowing.  ?

I wonder which e-sports company is licensing the Atari name, for those hotels.

• Like 6