IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

6 minutes ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

grafik.thumb.png.aadbf8825c7af384291eae5d789199f0.png

grafik.thumb.png.8bc5b3920bf8746027969806bad959e7.png
grafik.thumb.png.c8dba6c7fb8acdc2dc626b4947687608.png

from Atari VCS Twitter Account

So yeah, Antstream only running in Windows at the moment. I wonder - unless a Linux version is in the works, are they going to be running it in WINE shell out of the box? Wouldn't there be a legal problem with that?

I kind of like the look of the boxes using gouraud shaded polys. Not that such a thing makes it worth the price if you're a backer. 

Since they are essentially treating this as a launch event (despite not saying anything about the actual production), seems like it would be a good place to announce new software...granted, you'd NEED people actually working on things to do so...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

grafik.png

Someone - "Can I buy one of those t-shirts?"

Them - "Uh, that's just for display. We don't have any available at this time."

Someone - "Oh! OK, so when can I purchase one?"

Them - "Give us $30 and we will put you on the pre-order list, then check back every 6-12 months and we will let you know."

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 9
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

grafik.thumb.png.aadbf8825c7af384291eae5d789199f0.png

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

So yeah, Antstream only running in Windows at the moment

Or the entire demo is running under Windows?

EDIT: I noticed that image isn't actually from Atari.  It's from someone else's Twitter and Atari's account retweeted it.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Or the entire demo is running under Windows?

Only shows the Windows bars on Antstream from these pics, although I just noticed that it's saying 'Activate Windows" in the lower right of the shmup game (CAVE's Mushihime-Sama). Who wants to bet they didn't pay for that little copy of Windows? ;)

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Only shows the Windows bars on Antstream from these pics

But do they really fully reboot the computer to Windows when you choose Antstream from the menu?  It almost seems more likely that their menu software is able to force the hiding of the Windows system tray, but after they launch Antstream it no longer forces the system tray to be hidden and it sometimes pops up.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

grafik.png.bab0819d3cf37d7c88a2965030f7e707.png

It's still deceiving.  There are all those cables, but yet somebody's trying to hide the actual connections of the HDMI and power cords.  

That may be so, but at this point, they've set the bar for success so low that whatever they're hiding can't really be that much of a letdown.  What's the worst it could be?  An even crappier PC board?  A hacked Wii?

• Like 11

So I couldn't tell from their terrible Twitter video and thought for sure it was just a poor demonstration on Linux, but thanks to that clearer image...

Seriously, running Windows 10 still? Who are they even fooling at this point?

All but the most diehard supporters have turned on them, and they're at a public event basically going "hey, were a bunch of liars, but here's some ancient games you can emulate!"

Then there are the systems themselves. Surely that's just a bad photo, but it looks like nothing is plugged into the back. I honestly can't believe they'd pull a Mike Kennedy in public at this point because they'd be crucified. 

11 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

So yeah, Antstream only running in Windows at the moment. I wonder - unless a Linux version is in the works, are they going to be running it in WINE shell out of the box? Wouldn't there be a legal problem with that?

I kind of like the look of the boxes using gouraud shaded polys. Not that such a thing makes it worth the price if you're a backer. 

Since they are essentially treating this as a launch event (despite not saying anything about the actual production), seems like it would be a good place to announce new software...granted, you'd NEED people actually working on things to do so...

No legal problem to my knowledge. Still dodgy and misleading. And still nobody cares about streaming old games, many of which can now be emulated accurately, even perfectly. 

Weird that Atari still can't get Antstream to run in full-screen. I'm pretty sure it worked in full-screen for me when I tried it on Windows (granted, I only got to the login screen). 

11 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

I feel sorry for that kid running the "booth" if some supporters show up demanding some answers :)

Eh, he probably works for Uberstrategist, so...

Speaking of which, their CEO appears to be some douchebag who tweets passive-aggressive nonsense and about politics all day, at least when I checked last year. 

They have a large and somewhat impressive-looking list of cliental but I highly doubt they're anywhere near as good as they say they are, else Atari's PR wouldn't be in the shitter. 

9 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Only shows the Windows bars on Antstream from these pics, although I just noticed that it's saying 'Activate Windows" in the lower right of the shmup game (CAVE's Mushihime-Sama). Who wants to bet they didn't pay for that little copy of Windows? ;)

Great game (Cave truly makes excellent shmups), but yeah, not exactly a good look. 

Granted, it's legal to download Windows without a license, and Microsoft has removed the time limit on unlicensed copies now, AND pirating it would typically remove the watermark... but either way, this is pretty embarrassing for them. Unprofessional, at the very least. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Agillig said:

I have a hard time believing people are going to be happy seeing that Windows bar down there.  Even free emulators you download on PC don't have this issue.   I take it there's no version of Antstream that runs natively?

So far, nope. Runs on Windows, macOS, Android and iOS, but not Linux. Everything but. The irony. 

• Like 5

So, the only reason I would have backed this was because it was said to run Linux.  But if I got one and it was just running Windows and all it could do is be a reason to subscribe to a service, I would be pissed. 

I mean I would see it have more use as a Linux console that hooked up to my network and 'streamed' game ROMs off my NAS.  Oh wait, I have a Pi that does that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leech said:

So, the only reason I would have backed this was because it was said to run Linux.  But if I got one and it was just running Windows and all it could do is be a reason to subscribe to a service, I would be pissed. 

I mean I would see it have more use as a Linux console that hooked up to my network and 'streamed' game ROMs off my NAS.  Oh wait, I have a Pi that does that.

If it's running Windows, buyers are probably going to have to shell out more money for storage.   I wonder how many of them have considered this.  Suddenly the price tag for a cheap gaming PC doesn't seem so good.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

The ROI seems a little questionable, but Antstream does have an Ubuntu version on their website, and they only have to port the thin client since all emulation is done server-side.

LOL, so why on earth are they jumping through the hoops to run this through Windows??

Boy, if this system ever gets into the hands of consumers, it's going to be a total disaster. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Agillig said:

If it's running Windows, buyers are probably going to have to shell out more money for storage.   I wonder how many of them have considered this.  Suddenly the price tag for a cheap gaming PC doesn't seem so good.

Well considering you can get a decent (but not great) gaming PC for $500-600 that would still run circles around this trash,  why would anyone get an Atacobox when for a bit more you can get an actual PC if you want to play PC games? I mean you can even build a cheap sub $300 PC using the AM3+ chipset and still have higher performance than this thing-that-should-not-exist. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

LOL, so why on earth are they jumping through the hoops to run this through Windows??

My guess would be (A) there are issues with the Linux audio/video drivers for Atari's computer board, and/or (B) that Atari approached Antstream late in the game and didn't pay them anything up front, and therefore Antstream is not willing to bust ass to meet Atari's deadlines on top of their own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Agillig said:

I can't imagine the user base size would be worth the cost.

I'd like to think Linux users aren't dumb enough to fall for this sham. ;)

1 hour ago, Paul Slocum said:

The ROI seems a little questionable, but Antstream does have an Ubuntu version on their website, and they only have to port the thin client since all emulation is done server-side.

There is? I couldn't find a Linux version (again, not counting Android) when I looked a few weeks ago. Maybe it's new? That could be for Atari. 

Ubuntu can run Debian software and vice-versa, usually without needing to be recompiled (since Ubuntu is based on Debian), so it should work fine on "AtariOS" i.e. stock Debian with an Atari logo. 

EDIT: I was right. They've only just added the Ubuntu beta THIS WEEK. Here's a Google Cache link (Wayback Machine didn't have it) from the 26th where it was missing. And apparently I was wrong about there being iOS support. 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XWNP7h9ua6sJ:https://www.antstream.com/download-retro-games

33 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Well considering you can get a decent (but not great) gaming PC for $500-600 that would still run circles around this trash,  why would anyone get an Atacobox when for a bit more you can get an actual PC if you want to play PC games? I mean you can even build a cheap sub $300 PC using the AM3+ chipset and still have higher performance than this thing-that-should-not-exist. 

Hell, you can get a sub-$300 AM4 PC that'll run circles around this trash, and about $300 give or take if you build it yourself instead of buying one from AliExpress (and that's brand new - if you shop second-hand, you can get the price even lower). I put a parts list together about a month ago that achieved this, just to test my theory that it could be done. 

27 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

My guess would be (A) there are issues with the Linux audio/video drivers for Atari's computer board, and/or (B) that Atari approached Antstream late in the game and didn't pay them anything up front, and therefore Antstream is not willing to bust ass to meet Atari's deadlines on top of their own.

Linux drivers should just work. If they don't, Atari is really screwed. I have no idea if the Ryzen Embedded chips work (well) with Linux, but if they don't, Atari will need Linux developers to fork or contribute to the AMD (graphics) drivers. And they're not going to do that. 

Since there isn't a business incentive behind Linux support (sometimes - depends on which companies, if any, care to contribute), Ryzen Embedded might not be properly supported. Or it might run fine because it theoretically has the same Vega iGPUs used on other models of AMD APUs. I really don't know for sure. 

Either way, this is a mess. 

Edited by TankedThomas
Added proof of Ubuntu version being new
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah, but backers justified the lack of exclusives by saying this was an inexpensive gaming PC that could be used to play games on tv.  Once you factor in the hard drive and taxes, this thing will be around 500 dollars US.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1