IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

But a gaming ready PC, with its own screen, and sufficient storage would not have the ATARI name on it.  The beloved iconic brand is BACK, baby. Making an UN-CONSOLE for the first time in almost 25 years. They were the BEST and it's in their DNA, man. Only ATARI will bring the real WOOD and if you don't SUPPORT them (and their MOM-friendly Netflix app), you're just a HATER. Just wait til e3, they'll show us how it's done! Pong! Breakout! ALL THE HITS. A passion project with retro style but not retro specs! You'll be happy you waited! Bomb-diggety! Stay tuned! They really want this to happen! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

But a gaming ready PC, with its own screen, and sufficient storage would not have the ATARI name on it.  The beloved iconic brand is BACK, baby. Making an UN-CONSOLE for the first time in almost 25 years. They were the BEST and it's in their DNA, man. Only ATARI will bring the real WOOD and if you don't SUPPORT them (and their MOM-friendly Netflix app), you're just a HATER. Just wait til e3, they'll show us how it's done! Pong! Breakout! ALL THE HITS. A passion project with retro style but not retro specs! You'll be happy you waited! Bomb-diggety! Stay tuned! They really want this to happen! 

I hope they include an Atari mouse so that we can browse the Netflix websi- I mean, EXCLUSIVE VCS-ENHANCED APP as well. 

Better yet, make it the Atari Rat because it's EVEN MORE ADVANCED. 

And when you try to play a game on it and it overheats and bursts into flames, the fake wood on the front will burn like an open grill, BUT THAT'S A FEATURE AND IS INTENDED TO HAPPEN so don't ask any questions!

No refunds, either. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Well considering you can get a decent (but not great) gaming PC for $500-600 that would still run circles around this trash,  why would anyone get an Atacobox when for a bit more you can get an actual PC if you want to play PC games? I mean you can even build a cheap sub $300 PC using the AM3+ chipset and still have higher performance than this thing-that-should-not-exist. 

The form factor. 

18 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

If it doesn't do Pong-VR, it can GTFO!

Edit:  Polybius on the PSVR is amazing!

Edited by leech

11 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

I hope they include an Atari mouse so that we can browse the Netflix websi- I mean, EXCLUSIVE VCS-ENHANCED APP as well. 

Better yet, make it the Atari Rat because it's EVEN MORE ADVANCED. 

And when you try to play a game on it and it overheats and bursts into flames, the fake wood on the front will burn like an open grill, BUT THAT'S A FEATURE AND IS INTENDED TO HAPPEN so don't ask any questions!

No refunds, either. 

I need a good grill though.  "This steak tastes fantastic, how did you cook it?"  "On my Atari™ VCS™ ™™"

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It would have been better to show nothing at all and keep the backers excited than have a public unveiling that hasn't even registered with the public.   This is the first time the public has been able to play this system, and the response has been apathy.   With all due respect to Fatal Fury 2, unveiling the system with something like Tempest 4K would have been a better idea.   Unless of course, there's some reason they couldn't. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Yikes, Antstream running on Windows, no joystick controller, and it sounds like the Atari Vault games are running too fast:

So it can't properly emulate 35 year old games?  I've never had high expectations for this system (obviously), but this is more pathetic than I thought. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Yikes, Antstream running on Windows, no joystick controller, and it sounds like the Atari Vault games are running too fast:

1249776889_Screenshot2020-02-2911_29_52.thumb.png.f901867f1907db34d08e395a1e55cfc7.png

1701779312_Screenshot2020-02-2911_29_54.thumb.png.5c5155f89162cb6e49afcf0feebb8a42.png

267697082_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_01.thumb.png.deb975bbc33bfdef2a8404fcbe02ae7e.png

383435366_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_03.thumb.png.d93ff079bba6aa573c58b459276f8289.png

932826893_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_08.thumb.png.9fa1f638adcc0b1647aae0a8b03da461.png

The point about the processor speeding the game up... that should not be possible... it's not the 80s (or early 90s) anymore. Increasing the CPU's clock rate should have no effect on a game's speed and if it does here Atari are even more moronic than I had thought. I can see the games running too slow on weak hardware, but not running too fast on upgraded hardware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

You mean real Woode™...

2 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The point about the processor speeding the game up... that should not be possible

It could potentially happen if there's a mismatch of frame rates between the emulator and video subsystem.  Maybe the monitor at the demo event is syncing at a different refresh rate than the monitor in the lab.  Although obviously the final version of the AtariVCS software should automatically adjust to any refresh rate.

1 hour ago, Paul Slocum said:

1249776889_Screenshot2020-02-2911_29_52.thumb.png.f901867f1907db34d08e395a1e55cfc7.png

1701779312_Screenshot2020-02-2911_29_54.thumb.png.5c5155f89162cb6e49afcf0feebb8a42.png

267697082_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_01.thumb.png.deb975bbc33bfdef2a8404fcbe02ae7e.png

383435366_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_03.thumb.png.d93ff079bba6aa573c58b459276f8289.png

932826893_Screenshot2020-02-2911_30_08.thumb.png.9fa1f638adcc0b1647aae0a8b03da461.png

"Once that talent left the building, I do not think it was replaced, nor do I think there are plans to do so."

One would think that such information, followed up with the fact that the pack-in software is running like a turd in a clogged toilet bowl, should have backers up in arms as opposed to just being "disheartened."

This all says that Atari knows that this thing is a dog, but doesn't have the balls to admit it and can the thing, or put all of their resources into getting a team in place to fix the litany of issues it has. 

But at least the shills get to crow that Atari made "something!" SUCK ON IT, TROLLZ!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlanD said:

You can get the Steam version of Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter, The Surge, the Wonderboy  remake and Atari Vault for $3.49 in a bundle at Fanatical (https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-12)

Gotta love picking up the VCS killer app for less than $.90

Don't bother Atari Vault sucks... just download MAME and Stella instead... lol but wait I forgot!!!! The VCS comes the MEGA VAULT.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

See, I told you guys this was a GREAT value!

image.png.6e628236b89e290b33aa0948f3c29fdf.png

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The point about the processor speeding the game up... that should not be possible... it's not the 80s (or early 90s) anymore. Increasing the CPU's clock rate should have no effect on a game's speed and if it does here Atari are even more moronic than I had thought. I can see the games running too slow on weak hardware, but not running too fast on upgraded hardware.

I'd just like to state for the record that Atari Vault has been publicly available and running on Windows, Mac, and Linux for 4 years now, on a wide variety of configurations, monitor refresh rates, processors, and video cards. Frame rates are driven by Unity's standard, clocked update functions. No one has ever reported the speed being incorrect. If the emulation were running unthrottled on anything over a GHz they'd likely be running about 30x too fast, even accounting the overhead of emulation and render. Lunar Lander is also fully functional.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

You're thinking of PC games that, be design, stopped assuming a particular clock speed ages ago.  Anything under emulation is certainly subject to timing issues if not handled correctly.  Of course, that's no excuse in this case - Atari Vault should already be adjusting its emulation to match the host CPU.  Why it isn't in this case is a mystery.

• Like 1

Just now, Agillig said:

Maybe they're taking a page out of Capcom's playbook. Atari Mega Vault Hyper Fighting has a nice ring to it.

Atari the Movie: The Game: Mega Vault Hyper Fighting Championship: The New Fighters Turbo Alpha Rainbow Edition EX 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Found a couple of videos on YouTube from "pimpmyconsole". I don't believe these have been shared yet.

The information conveyed here is... misleading at best. Amusing to watch, just for all the inaccuracies though. "It's essentially a jailbroken console." :dunce:

At least it's actually plugged in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdYHWE_vnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MuRvSaTnTI

And Werner, since I know you're reading this thread, here's my parts list again to prove you wrong: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8YghK4

And the other one (which is now cheaper than the first - it was previously more expensive): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cmk7vW

Suck it.

Edited by TankedThomas
Werner is an idiot. Oh, and I fixed the links.
  • Like 5