IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Bill,

I'm a little confused by why you didn't want to reveal anything until Atari did and left us all guessing. You made it seem like we were waiting on a big reveal. You could have just said something like,"See that teaser of that rendered console? Well, that is about it." without revealing anything extra just like Atari's "big reveal".

This old chestnut? If you participate in other topics on this board, you'll soon note a mix of positive and negative reactions to just about anything. Often enough the positives will outweigh the negatives. That's usually when there's something to be positive about. In this case, there's been no good reason given to be positive other than obligation because "Atari," so it seems to make sense that reaction trends more to the negative, no?

It's all good Bill, just having some fun now my reputation is up the creek without a paddle.

Edited by Tony The 2600
  • Like 1

Bill,

I'm a little confused by why you didn't want to reveal anything until Atari did and left us all guessing. You made it seem like we were waiting on a big reveal. You could have just said something like,"See that teaser of that rendered console? Well, that is about it." without revealing anything extra just like Atari's "big reveal".

It was not my place to reveal anything. Although I was under no NDA, it would have been unethical in my opinion to "scoop" Atari's efforts in any way. My only goal was to minimize confusion, particularly in regards to its relation (or lack thereof in this case) to products from other companies like AtGames.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently became part of the story and several publications contacted me to provide scoops. I declined, even with the promise of anonymity. Again, it just wouldn't have been right in my opinion.

• Like 9

one loan knight

post-2410-0-41177000-1510843694.jpg

Something bothered me about the TV in the Ataribox photo ... it seems like the feet are installed wrong. It looks "pigeon-toed."

post-2410-0-16513700-1510844909_thumb.png

Wouldn't "duck feet" be more stable (assuming you can't mount it on the wall)?

post-2410-0-78436800-1510844971.jpg

So I looked at Best Buy's current line of SmartTVs and I think I found a match to what they're showing. Nope, that's the way it's supposed to be. Judging from the feet and the bezel, this appears to be a Sharp screen at a bargain price.

post-2410-0-18351100-1510845013_thumb.jpg

As others have pointed out, there's no need for a $300 streaming video box in 2018. Even if they were, the Atari floor model uses a monitor that has Roku streaming built right in. Too bad they didn't show it with a Sony Bravia that just lost the ability to stream Playstation Now.

While we're shopping for the AtariLife®, note that the hutch is a $379 Stockholm from IKEA

post-2410-0-57846900-1510845610_thumb.png

the bamboo is an artificial plant from IKEA, too

post-2410-0-78193300-1510846348_thumb.png

and you can buy the bass guitar as a starter set for $100.

post-2410-0-16493700-1510846124_thumb.png

Someone else can identify the curtains, the floor lamp, the other potted plant, the carpet, and the model's clothing. I'll bet the model doesn't even like Atari games. He might as well be holding the controller upside-down, because he is NOT wearing a SpeakerHat®.

• Like 10

Atari VCS doesn't have any internal ROM/BIOS. And Altirra Atari 400/800 8-bit emulator comes with its own operating system - original ROMS/BIOS is optional. Though I don't think ataribox is going to be able to run Altirra, because Linux.

For appearances sake, wouldn't ataribox want to use their own front-end with appropriately styled graphics for each emulator? If so then they're gonna hafta abide by the GPL and release their modded sourcecode.

HEY!! What happened to RetroN 77? Did atari shut that down or something?

Yeah, I can say for 100% that Altirra would not work on a game console. Way too many options (awesome for a computer and working with programming / debugging, and is a fantastic emulator with the only minus to it being no native Linux version, BUT it does work pretty flawlessly in Wine!)

EDIT: On the note about front ends. They wouldn't need to be GPL'd front ends, since you could do the same with Steam, create a launcher link that does something like 'atari800 -c atari800.cfg -rom gauntlet.atr' (I have no idea if that's the right syntax, but should give the idea). Then get a Gauntlet icon and you're good to go. Though to be fair, like the facebook group for the 8bit is currently discussing... Gauntlet on the A8 had it's fair share of issues, and you may as well play the MAME version :) MAME has lots of nice frontends they could include. Too bad the split happened when the big T bought Atari...

Edited by leech

It was not my place to reveal anything. Although I was under no NDA, it would have been unethical in my opinion to "scoop" Atari's efforts in any way. My only goal was to minimize confusion, particularly in regards to its relation (or lack thereof in this case) to products from other companies like AtGames.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently became part of the story and several publications contacted me to provide scoops. I declined, even with the promise of anonymity. Again, it just wouldn't have been right in my opinion.

I understand your reasoning. I just think it is funny that we went from renders to renders. I thought you were holding back because they were going to reveal something that actually exists.

• Like 3

"This is one of the things that really infuriates me about branding mania: more value is put in the brand than in the products sold or manufactured under it.​"

On 1 of my videos from 1994 SCES, I talked off camera to a VP of marketing of Konami I think it was (some big company at the time, could have been US Gold or someone). Anywho, she told me that Konami's brand was what sold games. They only allowed so many games a year and never released some of them. The reason is people bought anything Konami based of of the name. the products were good, so the next one is good to. That is one way of how you brand. Create a view of the company and stick to it (what do you think of Starbucks? or Disney World? or Ritz Carlton? You may not have been to any of these places but you have a view of them. And yes, I've been to all 3. And you know what, I stayed free at the Ritz Carlton for a week and was not impressed at the $800 for a normal night. Starbucks is just overpriced coffie which I can't stand anyways. and Disney World, well I do live in Orlando so I am a bit biased).

I've always liked games by Konami, especially their handheld electronic games from back in the day, games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Top Gun, Blades of Steel, and my favorite, Double Dribble. Fun times on long car rides. :)

I've always liked games by Konami, especially their handheld electronic games from back in the day, games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Top Gun, Blades of Steel, and my favorite, Double Dribble. Fun times on long car rides. :)

Yeah, part of the thing that was great 'back in the day' is that a lot of the companies had a sort of style about their games. Atari was very much known for some really fun games, but they tended to be pretty simple. I really loved Sega games over Nintendo ones, but then again Mario Bros is still one of my favorite games (not Super, though it's fun, I still prefer Donkey King and Mario Bros.)

But Atari had such great ones as Battlezone, Combat, etc. Then you had the Activision ones, which were also great.

Now most games are just splattered all over, I think Square Enix is one of the few that have a certain style to them, but few others I can think of a brand and think of a few games by them that have a 'feel'.

Konami was great, long ago. Now ...

In April 2015, Konami delisted itself from the New York stock exchange following the dissolution of their Kojima Productions subsidiary.[12] In a translated interview with Nikkei Trendy Net published in the following month, the newly appointed CEO of Konami Digital Entertainment, Hideki Hayakawa announced that Konami will shift their focus towards mobile gaming, claiming that, "Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."[13] The trade name of the company was changed from Konami Corporation to Konami Holdings Corporation during the same month.[14] In 2016, Konami merged Konami Parlor Entertainment into Konami Amusement Co., Ltd. (their arcade division).

In 2017, Konami is to publicly announce that they would be reviving some of the company's other well-known video game titles following the success of their Nintendo Switch launch title Super Bomberman R.[15]

I noticed on there Facebook page they had posted regularly, like days apart. But there hasn't been anything since 25 October .

I hope fall doesn't come and go with nothing happening.

Me neither, but in crowdfunding you should never take petty things like "launch schedule", "delivery date" or even the actual thing becoming reality too seriously...

• Like 5

FWIW, Sony has a bluray player with wifi, a USB port, Netflix, Hulu and the ability to play "Playstation Now" streaming games for only $70. "Playstation Now" is a pay service but still, this kind of machine is available at your local Wal-Mart right now for 1/4th of the price point rumored for the Ataribox.

• Like 3

I noticed on there Facebook page they had posted regularly, like days apart. But there hasn't been anything since 25 October .

I hope fall doesn't come and go with nothing happening.

I signed up for their mailing list and haven't gotten any updates since the first one. Had to find out about the new emails on this thread. If they can't even manage a mailing list, I don't have high hopes for the project

• Like 4

I'm curious why they don't show off the speakers or even mention them in those ads. I thought that was the whole point of them, howerver silly and weird they may be.

Maybe they too sense that they don't make a lot of sense having the speakers over your eyes. I hope version 2.0 will have sunglasses folding over my ears. That would be so AtariLife®

• Like 4