IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Since we're arguing semantics now...

You meant "I sent a crowdfunding site my money to help an inexperienced and deceptive holding company design, develop and build an Onyx one", since they have nothing to "buy" yet. There is no guarantee that you'll get what you paid for and a high probability that you will get absolutely nothing for your money. But you knew that going into it right?

The only backer mindset that makes any kind of sense to me is someone who won't miss $200+. (I've never had the too-much-money-wtf-do-I-do-with-all-of-it problem myself, but some people have money to burn obviously!)

I knew the risks. I'm a big enough fan of the brand that I'm willing to take it. I'm not going to say $225 is crumbs like Nancy Pelosi... but my world won't end. I've thought about getting a streaming Linux machine for the TV for a while, and I basically bought it for the Atari logo on the front. It would be neat to play some of the less demanding GOG and Steam indie games in 4k if I can too.

I don't think anyone believes this is Atari's chance at competing with Sony and Microsoft. What I am curious about is why so many people have gone all Templar about the people who backed it? Surely it can't be because you're that worried about me losing $225?

• Like 1

I don't think anyone believes this is Atari's chance at competing with Sony and Microsoft. What I am curious about is why so many people have gone all Templar about the people who backed it? Surely it can't be because you're that worried about me losing $225?

No, it's not about you as an individual, you do you. I'm about to spend many times that amount on vet bills. Is that a wise financial decision? Probably not, but I have a sentimental attachment too, just not to "Atari."

Some of us are "going all Templar" because pigeon behavior enables similar charlatans to start "projects" like this. This project, like "Coleco Evolved," "Spectrum Vega," and others, are motivated by exploiting old brands and have little to offer consumers.

Thanks to the IGG backers, now it's "normal" for a retro brand to ask for hundreds of dollars on the faintest of promises that won't be fulfilled for almost a year, at best. Now there's precedent for publicly traded companies to use crowdfunding as a "preorder" platform, which reduces consumer protections. They have stated there will be no refunds after the campaign, which ends in 15 days. That's a pretty one-sided contract.

There's a valuable niche of older, affluent people who are willing to pay premium prices for experiences they enjoy. Lots of people dump on Apple for being a "lifestyle" brand that doesn't bring value commensurate with the price premium. This AtariBox aspires to be like that, but it's different -- it's just a spank fantasy, it's not even something you can buy in stores. You can't even watch a demo of it.

An honest assessment of the computer specs shows that this is nothing special at all. Everything it does is available elsewhere, right now, without waiting, ready to buy, cheaper, more powerful, and better supported.

If you're visiting a developing country and don't bother to haggle for market prices, you're setting up the economy to exploit all visitors as easy marks, people to be fleeced, not equals in the transaction. AtariBox doesn't respect you, it's clear from their communication with the IGG backers.

Supporting this stupid project makes things a little bit worse for everyone.

• Like 13

Q: Here's what IndieGogo says about using the comments system ...

A: Shut up and wait. We have your money.

post-2410-0-48566100-1529073268_thumb.png

Q: Yo hater, this isn't the place for people to interact directly with you. That's why I'm directing this message at you so we can interact directly. You should quit asking questions of the place that has our money and hasn't put out a substantial update since their last denial of fraud. By the way I would like to see it turned on and working, too.

A: Yeah, quit picking on us! We're busy counting the money you gave us. Our work here is done. I mean, we hear you and are working hard behind the scenes and stuff.

post-2410-0-56804700-1529073279_thumb.png

Q: Here are the rules you agreed to when you decided to use this platform to collect our money.

A. Seriously, stop clogging up the comments. Oh, and we'll give you some answers real soon now. For sure. After e3 is over. You know how you waited until the campaign started to get the answers you wanted? Yeah, do more of that.

post-2410-0-41920500-1529073300_thumb.png

Q. You smashed your goals and there's a lot of time left. How about some stretch goals?

A. Are you freaking kidding me? We can't even deliver what we originally promised.

post-2410-0-11503300-1529073312_thumb.png

Remember when Hasbro owned Atari? Now that was a company that had some good games! Just not with the Atari label on them.

post-2410-0-38996400-1529073323.jpg

• Like 4

No, it's not about you as an individual, you do you. I'm about to spend many times that amount on vet bills. Is that a wise financial decision? Probably not, but I have a sentimental attachment too, just not to "Atari."

Some of us are "going all Templar" because pigeon behavior enables similar charlatans to start "projects" like this. This project, like "Coleco Evolved," "Spectrum Vega," and others, are motivated by exploiting old brands and have little to offer consumers.

Thanks to the IGG backers, now it's "normal" for a retro brand to ask for hundreds of dollars on the faintest of promises that won't be fulfilled for almost a year, at best. Now there's precedent for publicly traded companies to use crowdfunding as a "preorder" platform, which reduces consumer protections. They have stated there will be no refunds after the campaign, which ends in 15 days. That's a pretty one-sided contract.

There's a valuable niche of older, affluent people who are willing to pay premium prices for experiences they enjoy. Lots of people dump on Apple for being a "lifestyle" brand that doesn't bring value commensurate with the price premium. This AtariBox aspires to be like that, but it's different -- it's just a spank fantasy, it's not even something you can buy in stores. You can't even watch a demo of it.

An honest assessment of the computer specs shows that this is nothing special at all. Everything it does is available elsewhere, right now, without waiting, ready to buy, cheaper, more powerful, and better supported.

If you're visiting a developing country and don't bother to haggle for market prices, you're setting up the economy to exploit all visitors as easy marks, people to be fleeced, not equals in the transaction. AtariBox doesn't respect you, it's clear from their communication with the IGG backers.

Supporting this stupid project makes things a little bit worse for everyone.

I understand, and you make an excellent point. I don't have aspersions for what the AtariBox is or isn't... but I do think I'll get what I ordered.

If not, then I'm out $225. There is some emotion here driving the decision, and I acknowledge that.

• Like 2

Remember when Hasbro owned Atari? Now that was a company that had some good games! Just not with the Atari label on them.

Well, in fairness, I thought that Hasbro did a few good things with the Atari brand. Their early releases (Centipede and the first version of Frogger) were pretty rough, but I liked their updates of Missile Command, Pong, and Breakout, and I also liked Nerf ArenaBlast and The Next Tetris. (I was hooked on the latter in 1999-2000, and to this day it's still one of my favorite versions of Tetris.) On the other hand, Combat was interesting but flawed, and Galaga: Destination Earth was disappointing.

(At least they created real products, and they did it without begging for money first, which is more than one can say for "Atari SA.")

• Like 6

I agree with everything Flo said. It's unfortunate so many people have been willing to buy into such a shallow appeal to nostalgia with zero competency, innovation, or creativity.

It diminishes all of us and really squelches the chances that anyone will actually innovate something worthwhile that we can genuinely be excited about. Everyone makes their own decisions, but far too often these days, people are inclined to act against their own self interests.

• Like 5

Well, in fairness, I thought that Hasbro did a few good things with the Atari brand.

It was a different time, but I agree -- for the time, they did a lot more good with what they had than the current bag-holders have done to date. I mostly wanted to make a Homer Simpson joke. Playstation Pong was a treat back in the day.

I would very much like for a real game company to acquire the Atari IP, preferably in a way that is maximally humiliating to the current partners. It's weird and wacky that there's so much consolidation and closing of talented development studios, while the t-shirt brand sellers with the twitchy lawyers of "Atari" survive.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that Hasbro also released all rights to the Jaguar and declared it to be an "open system," which helped to clear the way for third-party developers to produce games for it. I'm pretty sure that today's "Atari" would never do anything like that; they'd be more likely to try to find some slimy way to make money on it.

• Like 12

https://youtu.be/nuUEF9AygfI

Finally a YouTuber with sense

yeah, no. skimmed the video and just in the parts I watched he claimed that Atari is still this massive multi-decade old corporation (they aren't), He also excused the faked gameplay of Tempest 4k saying "well it's running on the parts that are going into the VCS, therefore it's legit. And he said that Atari owned Tempest (which unless I'm mistaken isn't true)

• Like 3

yeah, no. skimmed the video and just in the parts I watched he claimed that Atari is still this massive multi-decade old corporation (they aren't), He also excused the faked gameplay of Tempest 4k saying "well it's running on the parts that are going into the VCS, therefore it's legit. And he said that Atari owned Tempest (which unless I'm mistaken isn't true)

In my little brouhaha that I'm in with #NotMyAtari he said basically "This is not the same Atari"

Screenshots later

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

Dig the hubris in response to my question...

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2018-06-15-10-35-29.png

Is this shit actually real ? Can I please have a link to this conversation ?

If Atari indeed likened selling retro T-shirts to "pictures of your family", then this must be the single most disgusting thing they managed to pull off in recent history.

And no, scamming clueless simpletons out of their $300, does not even begin to come close.

• Like 3

Is this shit actually real ? Can I please have a link to this conversation ?

If Atari indeed likened selling retro T-shirts to "pictures of your family", then this must be the single most disgusting thing they managed to pull off in recent history.

And no, scamming clueless simpletons out of their $300, does not even begin to come close.

I'll provide a link later tonight.