IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Who's stupider? AtariBox team, or their supporters?

the levels of stupidity between the two are fairly equal but slightly out phase, producing a steady frequency of stupid somewhere around the same frequency of the brown note

• Like 1

Where is the line between "terrible deal on mediocre hardware with indeterminate software ecosystem, paid in advance, no refunds or other consumer protections, delivered with weak communication skills," and "scam?"

To be fair, the term scam is probably most appropriately applied by the people who hand over their money. They'll start using that themselves when they catch on that they have no right to refunds and things aren't going as peachy as they assumed from the get go. Kinda like watching glacial ice fall into the water. It makes a big splash when it finally happens, but your ultimately left with less than you had before and you're still as dumb as a rock.

The rest of us can just champion the continuing engagement of Operation Enduring Clusterf&ck.

• Like 1

To be fair, the term scam is probably most appropriately applied by the people who hand over their money. They'll start using that themselves when they catch on that they have no right to refunds and things aren't going as peachy as they assumed from the get go. Kinda like watching glacial ice fall into the water. It makes a big splash when it finally happens, but your ultimately left with less than you had before and you're still as dumb as a rock.

The rest of us can just champion the continuing engagement of Operation Enduring Clusterf&ck.

Indeed. When all this is over, the gypped backers will be the ones crying loudest.

Matt_B, perhaps you should consider buying this poster's wares. He give you great deal, no problem. Just mail a money order.

After that, please come back and explain the differences between a little scam, big scam, and a legitimate sale. Thanks!

Meh. All I'm pointing out is that "scam" is usually reserved for people who are deliberately intending to take your money and give you nothing in return.

The VCS is a bad deal more because of Atari's rank incompetence than any great risk of that. There's far more chance they'll blow all the money while failing to develop it, and even if they deliver something it's not going to be that good; it certainly won't be waiting fourteen months for, that's for sure.

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4bZEZJ-G8

Here is another video from the uber fan that Tipster talked to.

The proof is in the pudding.

Edit: The tweet was from April 20th, 2018...

The video pre-dates the one of Tempest 4000 that they already admitted was the PC version.

It wouldn't be massively sceptical to assume that this is just the PC version of Atari Vault, would it?

• Like 1

The video pre-dates the one of Tempest 4000 that they already admitted was the PC version.

It wouldn't be massively sceptical to assume that this is just the PC version of Atari Vault, would it?

I mean you can see the guy is waggling the joystick around and stuff is happening on the TV, so it has to be real, right?

What's next, showing someone who has no idea what is going on seated at a kitchen table surrounded by equipment that looks appropriate for the production of a console prototype?

post-45676-0-36522500-1529940045_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Meh. All I'm pointing out is that "scam" is usually reserved for people who are deliberately intending to take your money and give you nothing in return.

The VCS is a bad deal more because of Atari's rank incompetence than any great risk of that. There's far more chance they'll blow all the money while failing to develop it, and even if they deliver something it's not going to be that good; it certainly won't be waiting fourteen months for, that's for sure.

If this ends with the revelation that 100% of Atari's efforts were being put into making themselves an attractive company to purchase, and NOT the delivery of the AtariSphere, would you label that a "scam"?

• Like 5

Isn't it strange how much emphasis they place on showing the controller being used, even in the video with the Xbox controller they make sure you see the guy is using a controller! Never noticed that in other game play demos.

And I'm saying intent doesn't matter.

I do agree with the rest, though.

• Like 2

PLEASE DO THE MATH, ATARI SA! :-D

You're not wrong ... but the way their store is set up, you have to choose ONE of their "perk bundles." If you buy them separately as you suggest, you get to pay twice for shipping, as they will not combine orders, the campaign spokesperson has already stated as much before going underground. I don't know what shipping costs, because you have to give them shipping and billing information before they will tell you. I assume it's not cheap.

It's easier to say "scam" than "weak design in a derivative product, incompetently mismanaged, and delivered late," but we're just splitting hairs, aren't we?

And I'm saying intent doesn't matter.

I do agree with the rest, though.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." - Fred Chesnais

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Fortunately he doesn't get very many views anyway. Ouch.

Yet he spends a big portion of his "Tipster Debate" talking about how they're "influencers," as if it's somehow unfair for anyone to express any public misgivings about the Ataribox, lest anyones negative opinion hurt their chances of gathering as much money as possible. If he's not being compensated by Atari SA in some way, he sure acts as if he is. Especially when he implies that maybe he'll get a review unit if he's nice to them. Derp.

• Like 2

Yet he spends a big portion of his "Tipster Debate" talking about how they're "influencers," as if it's somehow unfair for anyone to express any public misgivings about the Ataribox, lest anyones negative opinion hurt their chances of gathering as much money as possible. If he's not being compensated by Atari SA in some way, he sure acts as if he is. Especially when he implies that maybe he'll get a review unit if he's nice to them. Derp.

At this point positive or negative youtube videos about this thing are for the clicks so I can see all kinds of people jumping on the VCS bandwagon in hopes their channel gets some hits.

• Like 1

If this ends with the revelation that 100% of Atari's efforts were being put into making themselves an attractive company to purchase, and NOT the delivery of the AtariSphere, would you label that a "scam"?

Yes, that would be a scam. Mind you, if someone else were to acquire the Atari brand and this project the chances of getting a working one at the end of it might actually improve.

Surely even he must realize that the VCS would have to be monumentally awful for someone as low as him in the YouTube food chain to be getting a review unit.

• Like 1

Surely even he must realize that the VCS would have to be monumentally awful for someone as low as him in the YouTube food chain to be getting a review unit.

More likely they wouldn't have review units, just dump them on the pre-order chumps and hope they move a lot of units before word of mouth gets around. Hollywood does this with movies sometimes.

I don't know, I think it would be smart for Tommy to stay professional and stay out of this Atari BS. I know it sounds like fun to try to bring back the rivalry but I think the mud will back splash on Intellivision if they aren't too careful. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I also saw him on Facebook arguing with a critical non-fan that just seemed rather silly to me. Let US troll these people for you, you stay in the background creating something wonderful :)

• Like 3