IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Are burritos allowed?

Only on Sundays! :)

Anyone else want to behave like a bag of dicks, any more delusions of grandeur? Like Jay said, cleaning house today. This is not a political forum, nor is it supposed to be here, to insult one another. :mad:

This forum is about knowledge and fun, trading, etc.!

• Like 10

been sitting on this for a few days but prices are expected to start at 325 and top dawg is 450

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sapphire-amd-ryzen-v1000-apu,37408.html

these are little ryzen boards the size of intel's nuc line (or slightly smaller than a typical USB cd drive these days) top dog

AMD Ryzen Embedded V1807B 4 8 3.35 GHz 3.8 GHz AMD Radeon Vega 11 Graphics 1300 MHz 11 35-54W

AMD Ryzen Embedded V1756B 4 8 3.25 GHz 3.6 GHz AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics 1100 MHz 8 35-54W

AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B 4 8 2.06 GHz 3.6 GHz AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics 1100 MHz 8 12-25W

AMD Ryzen Embedded V1202B 2 4 2 GHz 3.6 GHz AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics 1100 MHz 3 12-25W

A10 is lookin mighty old and expensive

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 5

That banned guy saying either back it or shut up moaning is really saying we can't post opinions which is the path to a dictatorship.

Secondly this IS not 444 pages of bullshit. I have followed this thread from day 1 and there is a lot of useful information. For example, I've only ever backed 2 kickstarter things which were dead certs, very straight forward and did what they said they would.

It's only here I discovered that the option new Atari is using on Indiegogo means they can take all yer money, fail to produce anything and keep $3000000 just for fun! ...and its legal, no-one ever said it was illegal, just insane! I think that one choice alone fuels a lot of scepticism. I really wonder how it would have gone if they used kickstarter which would also require a working prototype at the outset?

That is the 2 biggest things that put me off.

• Like 11

That banned guy saying either back it or shut up moaning is really saying we can't post opinions which is the path to a dictatorship.

Secondly this IS not 444 pages of bullshit. I have followed this thread from day 1 and there is a lot of useful information. For example, I've only ever backed 2 kickstarter things which were dead certs, very straight forward and did what they said they would.

It's only here I discovered that the option new Atari is using on Indiegogo means they can take all yer money, fail to produce anything and keep $3000000 just for fun! ...and its legal, no-one ever said it was illegal, just insane! I think that one choice alone fuels a lot of scepticism. I really wonder how it would have gone if they used kickstarter which would also require a working prototype at the outset?

That is the 2 biggest things that put me off.

And, truth be told, if Atari wanted to make a prototype, exactly how hard would that have been, given their modest aims? A pc board in a 3D printed shell with Linux on an SD card... wouldn't that be close enough to their production machine for Kickstarter standards?

The fact that Atari opted for indiegogo, rather than putting forth even that token level of effort, tells me they don't know what they're doing and won't even go to step one without cash in their pockets.

• Like 10

So I was sizing up my Atari console collection today and a thought occurred to me. This will be the new Atari console family. Lots of great hardware, some with different parentage than others.

Pong and Assorted Plug & Play

XEGS

Jaguar

VCS

I wonder how many obsessive collectors (myself included) will be tempted to support the VCS just because they don't want a hole in their collection?

Well, on the positive side, you wouldn't have to give up any shelf space for its games.

(Or the console.)

• Like 6

And, truth be told, if Atari wanted to make a prototype, exactly how hard would that have been, given their modest aims? A pc board in a 3D printed shell with Linux on an SD card... wouldn't that be close enough to their production machine for Kickstarter standards?

The fact that Atari opted for indiegogo, rather than putting forth even that token level of effort, tells me they don't know what they're doing and won't even go to step one without cash in their pockets.

Or they aren't thinking. Take your time and don't rush to money raising for something you don't have.

I'd think that they could justifiably have said that they don't need a prototype for anything but the manufacturing of the production hardware, which would allow them to put it off for a few more months. Realistically, with it just being off-the-shelf PC hardware, they could develop and test all the system software, games and controllers without one, and still get it out in a year or so. It wouldn't be suitable for Kickstarter on account of that, but it'd still make sense as a project.

That said, if that was what they were doing, they should have come out and said so rather than just waffle their way through interviews, mock up footage and generally try to give the impression that things were far more advanced than they actually were. They might have found that a few people would still be happy to pre-order on the basis of an empty shell, but I'd think that rather a lot of others might have said that they were being rather premature in asking people to put their money down now.

A person in this thread already made the 3d printed shell, here's an A10 system for less than 70 bucks, slap some ram in it, and boom

its not entirely up to spec but damn its 1000x closer to a real prototype than anything nutardi has show AFTER 13 MONTHS

FFS its not that hard, hell its harder to fake video's and backtrack lies

keep in mind a mini ITX motherboard fits inside a NES case with ample room to spare for a full sized cd-dvd rom drive, and 2.5 inch hard disk, so its got room in the nutardi shells, typically the height on a mini ITX board wont come up over the power and reset switches on a toaster NES

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 10

Different departments, people, and skills, though.

Based on things they've said and how they've said it, the people (actually) answering questions and taking money don't appear to be closely involved with the people who are (reportedly) working on hardware and software.

"Atari is here and will have an update soon." <10 hour pause, followed by the Tin Giant announcement, followed by nothing>

• Like 3

I think I'm gonna have to go with the lower salt Ortega. The Taco Bell seasoning must had a lot of sodium in it.

A group of five Shatners could easily pull something off than "Atari" could done rather than picking their noses in board meetings.

post-18158-0-51109900-1530991277.jpg

• Like 5

So I was sizing up my Atari console collection today and a thought occurred to me. This will be the new Atari console family. Lots of great hardware, some with different parentage than others.

Pong and Assorted Plug & Play

VCS/2600

XEGS

Lynx

Jaguar

VCS II

I wonder how many obsessive collectors (myself included) will be tempted to support the VCS just because they don't want a hole in their collection?

I fixed your list for you. You forgot the Lynx, and the last iten doesn't exist... yet! :P
  • Like 1

Is a run of the mill Linux board a console? I ask seriously. I suppose in this day and age, most systems will run Linux, but what Atari claims they will eventually deliver doesn't sound like any of those others.

If you can technically play games on it, then yes, it is a game platform. Technically every PC, smartphone, tablet ever made fits the bill. The better question to ask, is it worth owning?
  • Like 1

Oh, the Indie-Scam-Go project that tops them all is the Sean MurrayStation (aka the OTON), holy shitballs...

-Thom

That SMB clone even rips off the music. Listen carefully at 3:38. It sounds like some noob rock band's trying to play the Super Mario World 'stage cleared' tune. And that fake couple. I would assume they would just go to bed and make love instead let alone play that thing.

That SMB clone even rips off the music. Listen carefully at 3:38. It sounds like some noob rock band's trying to play the Super Mario World 'stage cleared' tune. And that fake couple. I would assume they would just go to bed and make love instead let alone play that thing.

The game is Secret Maryo Chronicles. It's not a part of the OTON project and they appear to have co-opted it without permission.

It's a not a bad game, for what it's worth. They just wanted to make something as close to a Mario game as possible without infringing any of Nintendo's IP, so the resemblance is entirely intentional. If you fancy giving it a go, you can get it as a free download from their offiical site.

http://secretmaryo.org/

• Like 2