IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I've always been of the opinion that they'll probably deliver something. It's just that there are risks of failure or delays when so little has already been done.

The more that the project diverges from being a PC made of out off-the-shelf parts and running free software, the greater the risk of non-delivery becomes too. Atari simply don't have the capabilities in house to develop unique hardware and software, nor the money to probably fund anyone who they farm it out to. Or at least they aren't able to do so to anything like the same extent as the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony.

Also, without there being a fully working prototype yet, they're in the position that they've got to pretty much get everything right first time when they finally get around to making one. There probably won't be enough slack in the schedule or cash in the bank to go through too many cycles of refinement either, so the chances are that they'll be shipping the first thing that works and you'll have to live with any rough edges (hopefully only of the metaphorical variety) that it has.

The controllers might seem a safer bet, in that the technology in them is comparatively simple, but there'd still be a risk of non-delivery if the console hardware itself founders and drags the whole project down. They're also completely undemonstrated as of yet, and it's not clear what hardware or games the Retro controller would work with outside the VCS. I'd think it probable that the Modern controller will effectively be an existing XInput controller in a custom case, so it would be more useful, although that's not yet confirmed.

• Like 1

I've always been of the opinion that they'll probably deliver something. It's just that there are risks of failure or delays when so little has already been done.

The more that the project diverges from being a PC made of out off-the-shelf parts and running free software, the greater the risk of non-delivery becomes too. Atari simply don't have the capabilities in house to develop unique hardware and software, nor the money to probably fund anyone who they farm it out to. Or at least they aren't able to do so to anything like the same extent as the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony.

Also, without there being a fully working prototype yet, they're in the position that they've got to pretty much get everything right first time when they finally get around to making one. There probably won't be enough slack in the schedule or cash in the bank to go through too many cycles of refinement either, so the chances are that they'll be shipping the first thing that works and you'll have to live with any rough edges (hopefully only of the metaphorical variety) that it has.

The controllers might seem a safer bet, in that the technology in them is comparatively simple, but there'd still be a risk of non-delivery if the console hardware itself founders and drags the whole project down. They're also completely undemonstrated as of yet, and it's not clear what hardware or games the Retro controller would work with outside the VCS. I'd think it probable that the Modern controller will effectively be an existing XInput controller in a custom case, so it would be more useful, although that's not yet confirmed.

As long as Atari delivers an actual product to my doorstep, that's really all I'm hoping for. I really don't see it being successful though. I am still enthusiastic about making an exclusive game for it, just to see how things turn out with that.

I imagine Rob Wyatt would be doing the AtariOS software. It's honestly not really that hard to build an overlay of some sort and have it run ontop of Linux as a special user to keep the AtariOS side locked down. Then they can build in an option to reboot the console into "PC Mode" or something to give users access to the sandbox/desktop environment. Once that's all in place, just clone that drive to thousands of 32 GB eMMC modules and there you go, you've got the storage figured out for the system.

If PowerA is doing the controllers, they're going to be really good quite frankly. I have 2 PowerA controllers and they're both excellent quality, especially for third party controllers. You can also find reviews on various PowerA controllers giving them positive feedback.

• Like 1

One reason why I'm inclined to support the VCS is that I would rather not support the PS4/Xbox One.

I'm pretty bored of the realistic/dark/gritty art style that encompasses most games on the PS4. It was interesting for a little while on the PS3, but it's pretty plain to look at nowadays at least for me. At this point I'd rather go back to bright, colorful, cartoony graphics that we saw in video games in the 90's. I'd also rather see some more pixel art, or cel-shaded styles. Thankfully games like that are very much existent today with the likes of Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy, Cuphead, Limbo, Retro City Rampage, Super Lucky's Tale, Minecraft, etc. And guess what? I don't need a PS4 or Xbox One to play those games. As far as the console itself goes, I've never actually owned the PS4, but it looks like trash. My friend always runs into hurdles like the console running out of disk space, requiring updates before you can play, and even the games and the OS running sluggish. It's funny, because the PS4 controller is actually the best gamepad I've ever held in my hands. Hard to believe the same company made both the controller and the console itself...

As for the Xbox One, I've literally never owned an Xbox console in my life (and don't plan to). One of my good friends gave me an original Xbox console, but I never used it. Ever since Sega left the console industry I just never got used to Microsoft being in the race. To me, they're a computer software company-- not a gaming company. That's just the way I see it. At any rate, Microsoft made the brilliantly stupid decision to make all Xbox One titles compatible with Windows 10, so no inclination for me to get that console either.

Nintendo is really the only major player I'd buy a console from, but I don't even care about Nintendo all that much. They make some awesome content for sure, and the Switch is an amazing device. Nintendo clearly has a lot of in-house talent, but their business practices are what irk me and make me not want to support them. Quite frankly, since I bought a Switch, I've only ever seen myself using it during plane trips to go see my girlfriend in Canada. I guess that's a good thing considering all the talk I hear about the case overheating and cracking, lol... I might've used the Switch more often if it had more conveniences like the ability to browse the web and watch YouTube, etc.

The only thing I actually spend a lot of time gaming on these days is a custom PC that I bought parts for and built myself. It's in a little Dr. Zaber Sentry case so it's really small, and I loaded Bigbox on it to make it feel more like a game console.

When the 1st Xbox came out I was horrified to find out that it had a hard drive. I knew someday companies would require you to install games, & that you'd eventually run out of space. I'd seen that on my PC; I did not want that on my game system. :(

• Like 1

When the 1st Xbox came out I was horrified to find out that it had a hard drive. I knew someday companies would require you to install games, & that you'd eventually run out of space. I'd seen that on my PC; I did not want that on my game system. :(

Yeah, totally understand you there. When I first heard about the hard drive I was thinking of it as a replacement for memory cards. xD

• Like 1

If they are watching this thread, which I highly doubt it, then you could say in french:

"Tout ce que vous obtenez de nous sont des tacos, Atari."

Mon Dieu, mes enfants ont besoin de plus de vin!

My apologies go out to every French speaking person on the planet.

I have $33 bet placed on the table right now that it will deliver a joystick to my door. And I'm not a gambling man, but at this point, I might as well have bid on a horse race, because I feel like my odds of winning on the track are equally good/bad right now... :P

I truly believe that's the safest bet in this whole thing. It definitely holds the most promise and has the best chance of being a decent product.
  • Like 1

Is it bad that i still actually want to support the VCS? Lol. xD I'm still working on that exclusive game for it that i wanted to make. My girlfriend might be doing some of the graphics for it too >u< Lol

Do what you want man.

I always maintained that if this iteration of Atari wanted to be taken seriously, they would just put out a modern joystick or paddle control bundled with their back catalog. That would put them on the map and give customers at least something to determine if they could be trusted. Instead they are pushing pipe dreams of an entire ecosystem that will not be backed up in total even if all the parts actually see production.

Because of their overstepping, none of it has any credibility in my book, but I am still morbidly curious to see when or if they will ever be able to demonstrate that a functional, working classic controller actually exists. People keep inferring that it does just based on the same tired video clip they released of their fired project lead waggling the thing in front of someone else playing centipede. I don't blame folks for assuming it works, because honestly how hard would it even be? It is worth remembering that even though there could and should be a fully functional Bluetooth classic stick now, they have shown nothing whatsoever to confirm that when it would be so easy to do so.

• Like 8

I don't really see this thing being successful quite honestly. But something about Atari's quirky history, and the fact that an older brand is throwing their hat into the console ring again is really pretty appealing to me.

I really wish Sega were the ones doing the console, but this is still interesting to me. If anything, I will still have use for it when I get a house, as a media streaming/light gaming console. I don't plan on having cable TV since I never watch regular TV anyway. And it would be a cool little conversation piece.

I appreciate your attitude. I feel the same way. I ordered one. I dont care if it fails. Atari is a brand that DOES have a quirky history, its traded hands a few times, there have been multiple companies to use the Atari name, multiple owners, etc. the VCS fits into the big picture perfectly, especially with the shady history of some of the people involved. Including the feargal Mac controversy. Its all wonderful to me. I love controversy.

Each Atari system was pretty much designed by a different team too. The lynx, the 7800, the ST, etc... pretty much different people... the 2600 and 8 bit were something else entirely.

I dont care who owns the Atari brand. In fact the brand itself kinda represents not giving a fuck to me. Lol

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1

I appreciate your attitude. I feel the same way. I ordered one. I dont care if it fails. Atari is a brand that DOES have a quirky history, its traded hands a few times, there have been multiple companies to use the Atari name, multiple owners, etc. the VCS fits into the big picture perfectly, especially with the shady history of some of the people involved. Including the feargal Mac controversy. Its all wonderful to me. I love controversy.

Each Atari system was pretty much designed by a different team too. The lynx, the 7800, the ST, etc... pretty much different people... the 2600 and 8 bit were something else entirely.

I dont care who owns the Atari brand. In fact the brand itself kinda represents not giving a fuck to me. Lol

Love it, and your spot on IMO.

• Like 1

YUM Brands (Owner of Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut and formerly A&W restaurants and Long John Silvers) is focusing on expanding Taco Bell internationally right now, mainly in places like China, India, Brazil, and Canada and a handful of locations in other various countries.

KFC is China's largest fast food chain, with over 5000 locations in China and Pizza Hut has around 1900 locations in China. Internationally, Taco Bell is significantly smaller then Yums other chains Pizza Hut and KFC, mainly due to outside of the US, American-ized "Mexican" food isn't anywhere near as popular as it is in the USA. As of May 2017, Taco Bell had around 350 locations in 22 countries outside of the US, which is significantly less then that of KFC and Pizza Hut.

That's a big reason in Demolition Man, it was changed from Taco Bell to Pizza Hut in Europe. At the time Taco Bell was basically non-existent outside of the US, and it's still basically non-existent in Europe. I can't find how many of the 350 or so international locations are in Europe, but as of December 2016 Spain had the most out of any country in Europe and Spain only had 31 locations as of December 2016.

Update:Looks like I found out as of March 2017, Europe only had around 50 Taco Bell locations. The USA, in terms of size (square miles) is slightly smaller then Europe. In comparison, as of June 2014 there were around 5600 Taco Bells in the USA.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

At least they've boosted it to 8GB shared, which is a big help. Many of the demos of that same chip-set family on YT, had the memory foot-print clipping above 4GB in 720P, on low-medium settings, on the more demanding games.

With the A10 it's not just the quantity of RAM that matters but the speed, since you've got the CPU and the GPU on the same bus and that's a major bottleneck. You should be asking for a commitment to DDR4-2400 before getting too excited about there being 8GB of it.

Also, bear in mind that those videos you see on YouTube will be on systems with 65-100W parts, probably overclocked, with after-market cooling, running on Windows and with the games heavily configured for performance. It's unrealistic to expect the VCS to match up with them, especially when trying to run a game with the default settings.

• Like 2

One reason why I'm inclined to support the VCS is that I would rather not support the PS4/Xbox One.

I'm pretty bored of the realistic/dark/gritty art style that encompasses most games on the PS4. It was interesting for a little while on the PS3, but it's pretty plain to look at nowadays at least for me. At this point I'd rather go back to bright, colorful, cartoony graphics that we saw in video games in the 90's. I'd also rather see some more pixel art, or cel-shaded styles. Thankfully games like that are very much existent today with the likes of Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy, Cuphead, Limbo, Retro City Rampage, Super Lucky's Tale, Minecraft, etc. And guess what? I don't need a PS4 or Xbox One to play those games. As far as the console itself goes, I've never actually owned the PS4, but it looks like trash. My friend always runs into hurdles like the console running out of disk space, requiring updates before you can play, and even the games and the OS running sluggish. It's funny, because the PS4 controller is actually the best gamepad I've ever held in my hands. Hard to believe the same company made both the controller and the console itself...

As for the Xbox One, I've literally never owned an Xbox console in my life (and don't plan to). One of my good friends gave me an original Xbox console, but I never used it. Ever since Sega left the console industry I just never got used to Microsoft being in the race. To me, they're a computer software company-- not a gaming company. That's just the way I see it. At any rate, Microsoft made the brilliantly stupid decision to make all Xbox One titles compatible with Windows 10, so no inclination for me to get that console either.

Nintendo is really the only major player I'd buy a console from, but I don't even care about Nintendo all that much. They make some awesome content for sure, and the Switch is an amazing device. Nintendo clearly has a lot of in-house talent, but their business practices are what irk me and make me not want to support them. Quite frankly, since I bought a Switch, I've only ever seen myself using it during plane trips to go see my girlfriend in Canada. I guess that's a good thing considering all the talk I hear about the case overheating and cracking, lol... I might've used the Switch more often if it had more conveniences like the ability to browse the web and watch YouTube, etc.

The only thing I actually spend a lot of time gaming on these days is a custom PC that I bought parts for and built myself. It's in a little Dr. Zaber Sentry case so it's really small, and I loaded Bigbox on it to make it feel more like a game console.

You don't have to buy an Atari to not support the PS4 or Xbox one. You could just... NOT buy a PS4 or Xbox one.

• Like 12

The best computers and video game platforms come from big companies with the resources to do things right, with innovative, unique features, a deep software catalog, and an extensive support network. Forget "Atari."

The best tacos come from small, family-run restaurants and food trucks with a lot of heart, in small batches and time-proven recipes they've served to people they know, not a mass market. Forget Taco Bell, and while I've never been to "Taco Johns," that place sounds truly dire judging from their website and menu.

Don't mix this up.

Consumer electronics = mass market, big is good

Tacos = local and homegrown is best.

• Like 9

Taco Johns is superior to Taco Bell, although that isn't saying much.

Small, locally owned restaurants are a thousand times better, you are absolutely correct.

Del Taco looks like a disgrace. What kind of taco joint serves burgers??? :? :? :?

Edited by Pink

In other news, the C64 mini (Commodore 64 Mini) is finally coming to North America on October 9!

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/07/23/commodore-64-mini-coming-to-north-america-on-october-9

If they ever actually release the firmware update to fix the issue of only being able to have 1 game at a time on a USB stick, and the price is reasonable, i'll probably get one.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3