IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Really? Tell that to the Impossible Project: https://www.polaroid.com

Nice to hear of what they did, but you have to acknowledge that’s not really an orphaned and pimped brand. Sounds like those guys actually bought the plant and effectively the company, but we’re unable to buy the brandname. They continued to make the product and were eventually able to buy rights to the brand.

The opposite is true with Atari where a series of schmucks simply bought the right to slap “Atari” on stuff somebody else made.

• Like 6

If new Atari takes a dive I would be afraid that greed and/or desperation might take hold and the current owners would just split up what's left of Atari's assets. Have an ip fire sale so to speak, they could split up all the old games and try to squeeze as much value out of them as possible by selling them to the highest bidder. Whoever ends up with the Atari brand may have nothing but a fuji symbol to show for it.

Yeah, that occurred to me today as well when I started up Atari's Greatest Hits on my iPhone. After what seemed like a very long time to download the 2.8MB needed to play arcade Battlezone, I remembered that they sold off that property.

It doesn't look right on iPhone X screens. The vector part scales properly, but the raster overlay doesn't, probably because of the different resolution. It's also really dark, even with the brightness turned way up. It looks even worse in screenshots.

To fix this, they'd need to hire Code Mystics since I doubt they have anyone in house to do it -- and if they did, wouldn't they need to remove Battlezone, like they pulled it from the Atari Flashback line?

post-2410-0-45824600-1541822746_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-64251500-1541822755_thumb.png

Crossposted this to the Code Mystics support forum, where I'm sure they will say "it's up to Atari, not us" just like they did when it needed to be updated for iOS 8 and iOS 11. And just like the way Activision let "Activision Anthology" and "Lost Treasures of Infocom" die out of lack of support. Modern companies, with hoarded old assets they just trot out for monetization, don't seem to understand that gardens need tending.

http://www.codemystics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=870&p=1427#p1427

• Like 3

That's a great story, and an exception to the general rule.

Dont forget about Nokia! they were plundered by Microsoft's idiot CEO, then the old Nokia team bought back the Nokia name years later, set up shop next to parent owner HMD Global, paired with Foxxcon & now are the #3 handset maker in UK, value at over a Billion $$$,

meanwhile Atari CEO is E-begging for start up money.. lol

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

That's good to know about Nokia. Are they making Android phones now or what?

yup, really nice ones too! but I refuse to buy until it goes on sale, i can never pay full retail price for stuff, just give me %15 off or a coupon then i'll buy

i'm getting ready to unpack all that Xmas cards and wrappings I bought last year at %90 off :D

It should be live streamed over speaker hats and atariboxes everywhere!

It's like a car crash, can't look away. Moak's Beard has his money on Feargal losing big. Rob's Shiny Head is hoping for a big settlement, with enough left in Fred's pockets so maybe he can pull a similar trick in 2019. Michael's Pitchmouth just wants the checks he's depositing to not get returned.

post-2410-0-77704000-1541943842_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Nokia is a perfect anti-example of why Atari will fail. It is the PEOPLE who make a company, the name will only go so far, the name is what you use to build a reputation of the people.

Nokia today is made up of the old Nokia staff who have learned from mistakes, but still bring all the experience of making a rock solid phone, with a company vision (Android One)the people bring the know-how.

Atari on the other hand has people that bring "Zipidee Doo Das and Bomb Biggety" all of have nothing to do with building a gaming console.

• Like 1

Nokia is a perfect anti-example of why Atari will fail. It is the PEOPLE who make a company, the name will only go so far, the name is what you use to build a reputation of the people. Nokia today is made up of the old Nokia staff who have learned from mistakes, but still bring all the experience of making a rock solid phone, with a company vision (Android One)the people bring the know-how. Atari on the other hand has people that bring "Zipidee Doo Das and Bomb Biggety" all of have nothing to do with building a gaming console.

I just want some people to remember something. When the original Atari broke up, everything was sold off, the rights to games, and even the name Atari. The name Atari was purchased by a legal firm. None of the original Atari people are involved with this new system (unless something has changed)

General thoughts on this console is just another Android device with a new GUI. So, it could be a backed startup who got the name Atari and rights to the games that is doing that. We've had a long time to hear things but, all we have is a bunch of pictures of a possible prototype.

I've been a die hard Atari game from when I was 8 years old with the 2600 (day one owner of a 5200 and a 7800)but, this system is a complete wait and see type thing. I need content and tons of it before I would even think about dumping money into this.

By this point anyone and everyone knows these goobers have nothing to do with anything Atari did in the past, just slapping an old company’s logo on T-shirt’s and crap. So the real question is why the cognitive dissodence with these assclowns? It’s like a bunch of fools worshiping Jim Jones cuz he says he’s Jesus. Stupefying.

• Like 1

It would be one thing if they got one or two people who worked at Atari back in the day, and maybe some people who worked at Sony and Microsoft at some point over the years, and assembled a new team who could do justice with the Atari name. But these people seem to be the same type of grifters we are sued to, who crowdfund on Indigogo and not Kickstarter for the obvious reasons.

It is very clear that the AtariBox people are writing the positive comments on the Indigogo page. If by some miracle actual people are writing those positive comments, then they are deleting all the real comments to leave only the most positive of comments left.

It would be one thing if they got one or two people who worked at Atari back in the day, and maybe some people who worked at Sony and Microsoft at some point over the years, and assembled a new team who could do justice with the Atari name. But these people seem to be the same type of grifters we are sued to, who crowdfund on Indigogo and not Kickstarter for the obvious reasons.

It is very clear that the AtariBox people are writing the positive comments on the Indigogo page. If by some miracle actual people are writing those positive comments, then they are deleting all the real comments to leave only the most positive of comments left.

I thought they had an X-Box guy on the team?