IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Lol, I see what you did there xD

I think the system will come out, but it will experience a delay to 2020.

You do realize that Atari has literally nothing to show for the past two years of "development", right? And that in some ways they appear to have even less than they did six months ago?

A yes or no will suffice.

• Like 4

Microsoft's product names are really bad, I'd say even worse than "Atari VCS". With the VCS, you can at least distinguish between the old one and the new 2019/2020 console by referring to the old one as "2600".

Isn't that exactly the same as distinguishing OG Xbox or Original Xbox, to tell people you are not talking about the Xbox One?

It does get confusing when you want to talk about the "Original Xbox One", as opposed to the later models Xbox One S or Xbox One X.

And I can imagine a lot of kids were disappointed they asked their parents for the One X, and the parent bought the One S because it was cheaper. X sounds a lot like S, so the parents were either confused, or could claim they were confused to justify buying the cheaper One S.

Cut the shit, the great Criswell predicts it is never coming out :)

FUTURE EVENTS SUCH AS THESE WILL AFFECT YOU, IN THE FUTURE

EDIT: Criswell mentions "Grave robbers from outer space." That explains #NotMyAtari to a T.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

You do realize that Atari has literally nothing to show for the past two years of "development", right? And that in some ways they appear to have even less than they did six months ago?

A yes or no will suffice.

I'll say "no" to your question there. Only because I'm not trying to claim I know for a fact whether or not they have something to show. We don't know what we don't know. :P

I always have been saying, I try to look at the situation from both angles. I don't want to have a biased view one way or the other.

Where I support your position is, Atari's been making some incredibly dumb communication decisions, and they have a bad philosophy for the product. But right now, our conversation seems to be shifted toward the question of "will there be a physical unit or not?" So that's what I'm answering to.

Edited by Lodmot

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

Martial Daviaud
2 days ago

giphy.gif

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

Martial Daviaud
21 hours ago

Atari CEO F. CHESNAIS en route to meet Atari industry partners at iGamingSummit in Malta!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The next best thing to Fred is Martial Daviaud!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

It does get confusing when you want to talk about the "Original Xbox One", as opposed to the later models Xbox One S or Xbox One X.

And I can imagine a lot of kids were disappointed they asked their parents for the One X, and the parent bought the One S because it was cheaper. X sounds a lot like S, so the parents were either confused, or could claim they were confused to justify buying the cheaper One S.

I'm waiting for the AtariVCX.

SE.

Pro.

Slim.

Gold.

Take note Fred. You've got another customer waiting a mere five editions away.*

* It should be noted I only plan on waiting. I don't actually plan on buying.

• Like 7

I think his facts are slightly wrong? I thought Gameband was being made by some other outfit that only licensed the Atari name...

Hmm... The same guy behind the VCS initially was also the guy behind the Gameband. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

https://youtu.be/YCmjmFgHvyM

I remember getting an email from Atari on the Gameband when it was officially announced and even then, I was wondering (as a guy who is 6' 6") how I could possibly play retro games on a 1.6" screen, or for that matter, WHY I would want to even bother trying when I have a RPi with RetroPie on it which I can hook up to my 40" flatscreen and use an actual controller with buttons to play all Atari 2600 games plus dozens of other consoles' games, in addition to arcade, DOS, and SCUMM games, to name a few, for much less than what I'd pay for a Gameband that wasn't even available, and of course, still isn't and appears to now be officially cancelled. Sure, I can't strap it to my wrist, but again, how practical is playing retro games on a touch screen that's not much bigger than a postage stamp?

Did they ever explain how you would play even simple games like Pong on such a small screen?

I have never owned a smart watch, but does anyone who owns an Apple watch, Samsung watch, etc want to share their experiences playing games on your wrist?

And if you can play games on other smart watches, and have a full featured smart watch, why would anyone buy a Gameband? Answer, because Gameband is the most advanced smart watch on the market.

Did they ever explain how you would play even simple games like Pong on such a small screen?

I have never owned a smart watch, but does anyone who owns an Apple watch, Samsung watch, etc want to share their experiences playing games on your wrist?

And if you can play games on other smart watches, and have a full featured smart watch, why would anyone buy a Gameband? Answer, because Gameband is the most advanced smart watch on the market.

You know what? That's a great question. I never even thought about how you're going to play games on that thing because it was such a ridiculous idea. Did they have videos of the watch in use?

If you watch the crowdfunding video, they have games playing themselves on the watch, and people doing other things like checking email and controlling music playback. The only time they show someone playing a game, is a few seconds of Pong and Asteroids. The person taps on the lower middle of the screen to play pong, and drags the lower portion of the screen to play Asteroids. It just seems to be a video of Pong playing with the actor taping on the watch.

Edited by Hannacek

I can't bear to look at the Gameband (s)campaign pages, but it's my recollection that it seemed like an even stupider idea than that. It seemed to be mostly a wearable flash drive, which you could attach to a PC to play Terraria and Minecraft on other people's computers. It never needed to exist, and it was always a bad idea. They should have delivered something.

I have an Apple Watch and the last thing I want to do with it is play games on it. For me, the thing is best suited for just a few things which earn its place:

1. Fitness tracking (this is its reason for being IMHO). Waterproof + GPS helps a bunch.

2. "Quick glance" reference tasks like checking time, calendar, weather, and maybe some media controls.

3. Unobtrusive notifications -- see texts, calls, alerts, and timers without taking out your phone

It doesn't have the interface or battery to play a video game. Anyone who wants that would do better to look back to the Nelsonic Game watch lineup.

• Like 3

They learned their lesson with Gameband, they can't just take people's money and run. People won't accept... oh wait, they can just take the money and run, because Indigogo makes no commitment to deliver anything. And the backers can't dispute the charge with their bank or credit card, as is the case with any product purchased from any merchant.

If you successfully scammed people out of a few hundred thousand dollars, wouldn't you do it again, except this time for millions, and not the chump change they got from Gameband.

• Like 3

The launch video makes it look and sound as if the thing was already designed and ready to go (the specs, the exploded view, the guy from Broadcom wearing one, the non-at-all simulated watch display with PONG playing by itself), they just needed some help, as FMac states, bringing it to production (i.e. to have it mass produced). And since it uses the ATARI name with Atari arcade games playable on it (optimized for playing on the watch... whatever that means) as apparently its big selling point, who wouldn't want it? Ya know - because like you, they're gamers using scooters to jump over mushrooms and being chased by spiders, just like in the Atari game Centipede! I know I can't wait to play 720 Degrees on it! Just gotta wonder how it will be "watch optimized" to use that unique rotating joystick and both kick and jump buttons. But hey, why bore you with details, amirite?!

Then when you watch the video again, it seems like what's really being said is that you can use this (maybe you've heard of it before) super-spiffy micro-SD card to save your games to it, put it in the watch (as opposed to placing it in just about anything else), then hop on yer bike or skateboard (SKATE OR DIE) or scooter, head on over to your best bud's house, kick him off his PC and continue playing your favorite game on HIS machine while ordering him to GO GIT ME SOME TACOS, YOU CONSARN SLACKER!

And not only that, you can also listen to music on it (just like your phone, or mp3 player, or car stereo, or...) and check your email on it (again, just like your phone). And if we can scam your out of some more money get enough money backing this thing, we might even include a programmable garage door opener as an additional feature. There's almost no limit to the add-ons we might add if we get enough cash!

New corporate motto: WE'VE GOT THE CURE THAT'S JUST LOOKIN' FOR A DISEASE

• Like 3

I listened to Rob Wyatt talking on a podcast so you didn't have to. I see that no one else did, so I've transcribed some interesting quotes along with markers so you can hear the guy in his own words. Here's the audio file. Transcription errors are mine, but the words are all his. The pictures are from his public Facebook profile and the IndieGogo updates on Medium.

post-2410-0-91160800-1543440678_thumb.jpg

UNSUB-004-Rob-Wyatt_final-mixdown.mp3

1:23

It’s a trick to get it [the Atari 2600] to work on a modern TV. It’s like really difficult. But we did it.

post-2410-0-99485400-1543439437.jpg

1:40

It [the Atari 2600] was the first popular one. It was the first mass market, old … it had cartridges you clicked in the top, which I guess stuck around for years. Cartridges didn’t go away until the mid-90s, when CDs showed up. There was ColecoVision and a few others at that time. The Atari weren’t the best, but it was just the most popular, then it grew from there. But the games, looking back, were terrible. But still, there’s so much history in them, got to keep it working. Pitfall was really good.

post-2410-0-90407000-1543439503.jpg

One of the reasons that came up is that Jenna told me one of the reasons you came to the states, you helped develop the first Xbox?

2:42

I did develop the first Xbox, but it’s not the reason I came to the States. I’d been here a while before. I came here on a complete fluke. It was a rainy afternoon in England one day, and there was an Edge magazine … I was working doing graphics for video games and the magazine was on the seat, and it was in traffic. I just flipped through the magazine, and in the back, there was an advert that said, “work in the US.” I was in Sheffield, England, it was miserable, dark, grey, typical Northern English day. Santa Monica sounds pretty damn good right now.

post-2410-0-08714100-1543439636.jpg

8:00

Bill [Gates] stands up and starts talking. Sony are going to make a Playstation 2, and it’s going to play games obviously and music and DVDs, and importantly, most scary to Microsoft, it was going to be in the living room. At this point, big PCs were in the back office, and they were ugly big boxes, and you’d never have them in the living room. The fact that this box would be in the living room, and do everything, was terrifying to Microsoft. So they’re like, we’re going to make a game console, and you’re going to make it, me and Seamus [blackley].

post-2410-0-12962500-1543439700.jpg

So we kind of did, we involved a bunch of other people, there’s a bunch of books and stories been wrote about the whole thing. So Seamus basically became the face of Xbox, and I did lots of the tech work. the circuit board level stuff. Picking the components, working with vendors, getting shouted at for spending too much money, things like that.

post-2410-0-64778600-1543439779_thumb.jpg

9:00

So I guess that fits nicely with the theme of this, because everyone was like, this would be great, why didn’t you stay at Microsoft? It’s not me, I couldn’t do it, I’m just not a corporate person. It was one of those first big decisions in my life, that I will never be a corporate guy. I’ve never gone back to a corporate world since. If this is corporate America, I want nothing to do with it.

post-2410-0-78922900-1543439885_thumb.jpg

12:45

Fear plays a big role in things that I do to this day. At that point, there was no real fear, what did I have to lose? I had my green card by this point, so I didn’t have to worry about finding another job straight away, I could stay in the US … I had some resources. So what’s going to happen if I leave? So I don’t have an income, but I have some time. Looking back, I think any person 27 years old should be able to do that…. say fuck it, walk away.

post-2410-0-74380000-1543439979.jpg

so you prioritize not regretting things over short term stability?

Short term stability is a societal thing. Society says you should do this. I always look at it like, am I safe? Can I provide for food and shelter, and have a kid too? … the kid does change it, but as long as you’ve got those basic needs, then any fear you have at that point is fear of losing something, fear of someone’s opinion of you, fear of the unknown. All those things are kind of ridiculous. It’ll work out. Or it won’t. It’s like, can you come back to where you are? If you can always come back to where I am, no matter what happens, that could be like if you own your house without a mortgage when you’re older and always have a place to live. Maybe you can go back to your parents house. Maybe you’ve got friends you can always stay with. Can I get back to where I am today, in 6 months time, if it goes pear-shaped? Nobody takes advantage of that. If you did that, it would give you far more freedom. I’m gonna go try this, it could be a business, it could be an adventure. It could be, go to Key West and live there for six months, just because you want to. Whatever it is, come back to where you are. No one does that. The longer you don’t do it, the more the fear of doing it builds up. You get that stability and the comfort, and being out of that comfort zone is really the key of being detached from things, and places.

post-2410-0-56153500-1543440158_thumb.jpg

50:28

Plenty of studies have been done asking people on their deathbeds, what would you have done? Not one of them has said, I wish I had earned more money. It’s like, I work enough to get the means to do the things I want to do. Then I do it. It’s all about the experience, and not the wealth. You can measure wealth in many ways, most people measure it in terms of dollar terms. Where’s the wealth in your own capacity, in the wealth in your experiences, whatever it may be. Go push your boundaries, maybe you’re great at something and never knew it because you never pushed your boundaries, you just do this every single day. Go figure out what you can do, and live that fulfilled life, instead of being a robot, going around the clock, then you do that, then you die.

post-2410-0-22502900-1543440286.jpg

• Like 6

I'm waiting for the AtariVCX.

SE.

Pro.

Slim.

Gold.

Take note Fred. You've got another customer waiting a mere five editions away.*

* It should be noted I only plan on waiting. I don't actually plan on buying.

SE - Sometime Eventually, you might get to see a prototype of one working

Pro - There are no pros, only cons

Slim - Your chances of getting what you paid for

Gold - Well, there's been plenty of comedy gold, at least

• Like 3