IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Just asking this so that I can understand your position a little better: what are you seeking to accomplish by engaging Atari SA as you have been?

I get that you want more communication from them - but, past that point, what would you like to see them do or not do? This is where my curiosity is kicking in.

No problem man. ^^

I just sorta want to see them succeed. I think a new community-driven Atari system is a cool idea, and no company has ever really successfully done that. Probably the most successful attempt would maybe be the Ouya, but even that one has a bad reputation. x u x I personally enjoyed the Ouya though.

The thing is, the VCS has the potential to be super accessible to indie developers who are just one person, like me. If you're like me and want to make a living getting into the game industry, but you live in New England-- there's very little opportunities for game development there. With a system like the Ouya (which was based on Android), or the new VCS (based on Linux), I can literally develop and publish a new game right out of my house, and I don't need a big budget to do so.

The problem with these small platforms is they never have quality exclusives, or killer apps, like what bigger platforms have. That's why I keep telling these guys at Atari, they NEED really good exclusive content to get people excited for the platform. I'm at the point now though, where I'm beginning to accept that they won't listen to my suggestions. They seem like they want to fail.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

No problem man. ^^

I just sorta want to see them succeed. I think a new community-driven Atari system is a cool idea, and no company has ever really successfully done that. Probably the most successful attempt would maybe be the Ouya, but even that one has a bad reputation. x u x I personally enjoyed the Ouya though.

The thing is, the VCS has the potential to be super accessible to indie developers who are just one person, like me. If you're like me and want to make a living getting into the game industry, but you live in New England-- there's very little opportunities for game development there. With a system like the Ouya, or the new VCS, I can literally develop and publish a new game right out of my house, and I don't need a big budget to do so.

The problem with these small platforms is they never have quality exclusives, or killer apps, like what bigger platforms have. That's why I keep telling these guys at Atari, they NEED really good exclusive content. I'm at the point now though, where I'm beginning to accept that they won't listen to my suggestions. They seem like they want to fail.

I'd just look into getting stuff on Steam and / or itch.io. And if it's released for Linux and good, people will buy it for sure. Hell, I've bought many games just because they support Linux and don't have much time to play them.

• Like 4

Wellness check!

The campaign is up a bit more, as a few more glimmers of common sense in the world flicker and die

John's enthusiasm for "Atari" VCS* and 1980s trash culture continues to know no bounds

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-24 at 10.47.05 AM.png

"The 80s were great in my opinion so many great franchises airwolf the a team knight rider these where my favorite TV shows as a kid I'd love to see new games based on each for the atari vcs." I wonder if John Phelan is aware of the "hardwork" being done to bring Knight Rider 2600 to fruition.

• Like 2

I'd just look into getting stuff on Steam and / or itch.io. And if it's released for Linux and good, people will buy it for sure. Hell, I've bought many games just because they support Linux and don't have much time to play them.

Steam's not a bad option, but the thing is I'm afraid my game(s) would get lost in the vast ecosystem. Since the VCS would be a brand-new platform the chances my content gets seen would be much higher. I have a game on iOS and Android right now, and the only people that have downloaded it were my friends and family. Nobody else really knows about it even though it's out there, and it's not like it's a paid game or anything-- it's totally free and I didn't put ads in it. I guess part of it is that I don't really know how to market myself either though.

Edited by Lodmot

Steam's not a bad option, but the thing is I'm afraid my game(s) would get lost in the vast ecosystem. Since the VCS would be a brand-new platform the chances my content gets seen would be much higher. I have a game on iOS and Android right now, and the only people that have downloaded it were my friends and family. Nobody else really knows about it even though it's out there, and it's not like it's a paid game or anything-- it's totally free and I didn't put ads in it. I guess part of it is that I don't really know how to market myself either though.

Yeah, release it for Linux, ping Liam at gamingonlinux.com, bam you have an audience. :) Why not tell people here what the game is so we can download it on Android or iOS?

• Like 1

Yeah, release it for Linux, ping Liam at gamingonlinux.com, bam you have an audience. :) Why not tell people here what the game is so we can download it on Android or iOS?

I wasn't really going to say anything here, because it's off-topic and I felt like I was self-advertising, etc. etc. I dunno. xD

But the game is called Ballzerk. :3

• Like 1

I hear ya about wanting a genuinely community driven mainstream gaming system. That would be great, but I don't see that happening. What you need to do is build a community around games rather than another poorly funded or ill conceived device that's almost guaranteed to fail.

All the money grab crowdfunders talk up the importance of community, but that's a total crock and it's more than apparent they just want your money. They may talk nice to you, or even pay attention to you and send you updates on occasion, but they don't give a crap what you think, just like that stripper who ain't really into you, no matter what you tell yourself.

None of those crowdfunded projects, including Ouya, ever really give a damn about two way communications. They just use it as another marketing tool to keep you on the hook while they, hopefully, attempt to crank out a finished product that doesn't bankrupt them. Everyone involved is suffering from delusions of grandeur. The closest thing I've seen to a community project has been stuff like the Collectorvision, but those are niche products and the community participation is small and almost entirely inferred there as well.

2sexkv.jpg

cdrPCkj.gif

PS: I just downloaded your game, and I like it. Nice use of the tilt function.

You know an awesome game would be a marble madness clone like that where the maze/floor moved under the ball and scrolled into and out of the screen edges. Something similar to tempest or gyruss with the tilt control would be neat too.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

Hence my using past tense. They could've done it, but they didn't want to. They're not all-in on this project in the least.

Yeah.. >.<

Atari's marketing angle for the VCS doesn't make much sense either. I sorta get why they're doing it-- because it's technically called "Video Computer System"......

But everybody knows Atari as a gaming company, not a computer company. x w x

They'd be better off just marketing the thing as another game system and pushing for exclusive content on the platform.

Yeah.. >.<

Atari's marketing angle for the VCS doesn't make much sense either. I sorta get why they're doing it-- because it's technically called "Video Computer System"......

But everybody knows Atari as a gaming company, not a computer company. x w x

They'd be better off just marketing the thing as another game system and pushing for exclusive content on the platform.

Did you forget about all the computers Atari made in the 80's :)

• Like 4

I wasn't really going to say anything here, because it's off-topic and I felt like I was self-advertising, etc. etc. I dunno. xD

But the game is called Ballzerk. :3

ha, throw it in with your sig. Then you aren't off topic, but hey, I asked. Besides, just add Tacos in your post, and your'e on-topic.

• Like 2

I just sorta want to see them succeed.

<snip>

The problem with these small platforms is they never have quality exclusives, or killer apps, like what bigger platforms have. That's why I keep telling these guys at Atari, they NEED really good exclusive content to get people excited for the platform. I'm at the point now though, where I'm beginning to accept that they won't listen to my suggestions. They seem like they want to fail.

We all want to see atari rise from the ashes and return to life as a going concern. This, most likely, isn't it, and it's doubly frustrating because at this point the IP is relatively cheap, so in theory, someone who loves it could/could have purchased it and restored it to some kind of life. Unfortunately, the people with that kind of money generally aren't altruists.

I'm not sure how much business experience you have, but in most cases like this, these guys (people reviving dead brands, people working with startups, etc) really don't care about community "input." They are looking to make a certain amount of money, they already have a business plan that supports that goal, and are now looking to execute it. so hearing a few people tell them that they need a killer app, or a way to differentiate themselves from other small independent consoles will either be something that they have already thought about and are pursuing, or is something that isn't even on their radar and would just interfere with their business plan.

We don't actually know what their goals are. But probably, they are looking to restore the atari "brand" as something with cultural cache, so that they strike more licensing deals for the logo and some of the IP that they still retain. The console may fail...but if they can raise the brand profile and license it to mass marketers to put on more t-shirts, mugs and caps, they can make a good living doing that. So in truth, they don't even need the console, or the apps, or anything like that. My guess is that the console is a loss leader as a sort, and something that would allow them to take a business loss (always helpful for tax purposes) if it tanks.

I'm with everyone else here: the best atari would build on the existing atari community and expand outward from there. But that's not really what these guys appear to have in mind.

• Like 7

You have to remember Ataris computers were much more succesful in Europe than in the USA

No, they weren't. At best, they were typically in 4th place behind (in no particular order) Sinclair, Amstrad, and Commodore in most countries.

The ST line gave the Amiga a run for its money in Europe, but, ultimately, the Amiga held the higher ground for pretty much its entire life. Then came PCs in the 1990s, and that was the end of that.

Source: I'm a European ex-Atari computer user now resident in the US.

• Like 7

Better then no ecosystem of Atari SA...

I hear ya about wanting a genuinely community driven mainstream gaming system. That would be great, but I don't see that happening. What you need to do is build a community around games rather than another poorly funded or ill conceived device that's almost guaranteed to fail.

All the money grab crowdfunders talk up the importance of community, but that's a total crock and it's more than apparent they just want your money. They may talk nice to you, or even pay attention to you and send you updates on occasion, but they don't give a crap what you think, just like that stripper who ain't really into you, no matter what you tell yourself.

None of those crowdfunded projects, including Ouya, ever really give a damn about two way communications. They just use it as another marketing tool to keep you on the hook while they, hopefully, attempt to crank out a finished product that doesn't bankrupt them. Everyone involved is suffering from delusions of grandeur. The closest thing I've seen to a community project has been stuff like the Collectorvision, but those are niche products and the community participation is small and almost entirely inferred there as well.

2sexkv.jpg

cdrPCkj.gif

PS: I just downloaded your game, and I like it. Nice use of the tilt function.

You know an awesome game would be a marble madness clone like that where the maze/floor moved under the ball and scrolled into and out of the screen edges. Something similar to tempest or gyruss with the tilt control would be neat too.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with your points. Hardware is way more ambitious to build a community around versus software > w <

If anything, I'll get the console delivered to me, and it's going to be a nice little gadget/streaming box with some capabilities for playing retro games. The controller will be cool too, and I could use it on other consoles/PC's as well. PowerA makes an awesome controller, so I'm kind of excited to see what they come up with here.

Also just noticed your comment on my game. Thanks! :3 In the later stages, the levels actually sort of do what you're describing. They get bigger as you progress, and the view will scroll with the ball as you move around. There's 40 stages. > u < It was quite fun to make!

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

Steam's not a bad option, but the thing is I'm afraid my game(s) would get lost in the vast ecosystem. Since the VCS would be a brand-new platform the chances my content gets seen would be much higher.

Maybe - but at least in a vast ecosystem, you're actually in an ecosystem. I would think it would be worse to have your game lost in a system that failed right out of the gate (assuming it ever got up to the gate), because it would have zero chance of exposure.

• Like 3

I'm a week late on this, but it's been a year since Todd Shallbetter was the face for Atari's crowdfunded Roller Coaster Tycoon for the Switch. The minimum goal of $10,000 was met before the campaign got canceled.

To be sure- I found this forum while google searching stuff about Atari and their projects. Just like I found the French investment forum that is all about Atari.

Here is more news today, more fuel for your fire that Atari can't do anything-

https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners

I see it as future growth in value. :)

If you have any play money, I'd say to get in now. Throw mud at me all you want- I'm pretty confident with my assessment of where Atari is headed.