IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

if they were smart they would have added a lcd screen and the functionality of the atari video music

Ha, okay.... I suddenly got a vision of some tripped out hippy with the Atari Video Music displayed on their sunglasses listening to some Pink Floyd from their Atari Hat.

So they should sell a sheet of LSD with every combination purchase, right?

Strange things become "hot", like fidget spinners. Speaker hat? Never say never...

My opinion has always been that this was never something that's a premium SKU. I would have retailed this at $50 or less. At more than double that price point and for the limitations in sound quality inherent in the design, I don't see it as moving very many units. If it does become "hot" in certain communities that say might pay hundreds of dollars for sneakers or headphones, maybe it can thrive in a particular niche, but that's an incredible long-shot obviously. I don't see this having that type of cool factor or cache'.

• Like 6

My opinion has always been that this was never something that's a premium SKU. I would have retailed this at $50 or less. At more than double that price point and for the limitations in sound quality inherent in the design, I don't see it as moving very many units. If it does become "hot" in certain communities that say might pay hundreds of dollars for sneakers or headphones, maybe it can thrive in a particular niche, but that's an incredible long-shot obviously. I don't see this having that type of cool factor or cache'.

Agreed. This thing is gonna turd at retail, hard.

• Like 1

If it does become "hot" in certain communities that say might pay hundreds of dollars for sneakers or headphones, maybe it can thrive in a particular niche, but that's an incredible long-shot obviously. I don't see this having that type of cool factor or cache'.

What's the plural of Hipster Doofus ?

• Like 2

I'll go waaaaaay out on a limb here and say that I do not believe that the Atari Speaker Hat® will achieve "hot" market status anywhere on Planet Earth in the years 2017 or 2018.

I don't think it will become hot either, but on the other hand, if I was good at predicting trends, I'd be filthy rich, just saying ;) So you might want to buy a case of these to sell on ebay when the shortages happen and you can demand top dollar :P

If it ever did became hot in those certain trend-making communities, we would see <$50 knockoffs appear for sure

• Like 1

Agreed. This thing is gonna turd at retail, hard.

Is it really coming to retail, or just mail order? It strikes me as the kind of thing you could make on demand, like a printed t-shirt or embroidered hat.

What's the plural of Hipster Doofus ?

post-2410-0-87615700-1507663727.jpgpost-2410-0-79668000-1507663734.jpgpost-2410-0-41012200-1507663742.jpg

If it ever did became hot in those certain trend-making communities, we would see <$50 knockoffs appear for sure

But seriously, what's the use case? Tinny speakers like on your phone, but in front of your face!

• Like 1

I'll just say it,

Between Doofus hats, candy bar lawsuits, mystery boxes, and then being total Corporate DickBastards to Marc Oberhäuser, I am Done with this Version of "Atari"!

They have No Idea what Fans want, No Idea what Consumers want, No Idea how to Treat People, No Concept of Community...Limited resources which they will squander in the stupidest way possible...Lawyers wormtonguing their butts...

And this is me being Nice about it all...

• Like 9

What was the use case for the pet rock?

Dumb cheap gift to (1) make the recipient laugh, (2) the creator rich, and (3) the retailer to stock a fun thing for $4 each.

01dahl-2-obit-master315.jpg

Pet Rock cost $4 in 1975, which would be $18.25 today.

Atari Speaker Hat® will cost $130 in late 2017, which would be like $28.49 in 1975.

Speaker Hat® is not 7x better than Pet Rock.

• Like 5

Pet Rock cost $4 in 1975, which would be $18.25 today.

Atari Speaker Hat® will cost $130 in late 2017, which would be like $28.49 in 1975.

Speaker Hat® is not 7x better than Pet Rock.

So you don't think people would ever pay more than $100 for a personal portable set of speakers and be seen in public with them?

boombox.jpg

• Like 1

People hating on the speaker hat have obviously forgotten about this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones#/

$3.4 Million raised from 21K backers. It's one of the most successfull Indiegogo campaigns ever - actually it's the 19th most funded campaign on Indiegogo in the sites entire history

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 2

I don't disagree, but all the "Atari Games" arcade titles are from Midway, which is now part of Time Warner. That's the SF Rush games, APB, Marble Madness, Paperboy, Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet, and many more. They'd have to work out licensing. Just about everything that Atari (corp) owns on the arcade side has come out on things like the Flashback and Vault collections.

I'll bet SF Rush the Rock works OK in MAME in the meantime.