IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

post-2410-0-03870300-1553168512_thumb.png

Flurry of messages, flojomojo on fire, what did I miss?

The "Atari VCS" has been "delayed to make it even better," just like the Retro Chameleon! Because time moves in a predictable forward direction but "the team" does not, they've upgraded their 2016 AMD spec to an unspecified Ryzen chip, which they claim will be better even though master baiter Rob Wyatt said the older chip was better for thermal and energy trade-offs.

They're trying to make lemonade out of a giant jar of piss. They claim that the reason for their lack of communication was to "fully-mature this important decision before making it public." You can't make this stuff up. Is that a French idiom? Cos it sure ain't English.

post-2410-0-50745500-1553169237_thumb.png

If you have a glass sliding door, you know how sometimes birds fly into it? Sometimes they just bounce off. Sometimes, they break their necks and die. :( Sometimes, they just lie on the patio, stunned for a little while, then they recover and fly away. Well, some of the "Atari VCS" pigeons have awakened and are trying to un-give their $300 gifts they sent to "Atari." I like this one from this morning. As Phelan would say, shart and sweet.

post-2410-0-20663100-1553169024_thumb.png

Fortunately for "Atari," there seems to be a steady supply of useful idiots to prop up the cause when facts and evidence are insufficient. My favorite AtariApologist is still Andy "Overly Attached Girlfriend" Blakely, who had a particularly hot take when he posted this at 4am PDT (his local time zone) today:

post-2410-0-97852800-1553169979_thumb.png

His passive-aggressiveness seems to have tilted into aggressive aggressiveness. Maybe needs more sleep, or fewer magic beans in his diet.

giphy.gif

It'll be OK Andy. I can't speak for everybody, but this douchebag still loves you.

And now, I will take Andy's advice and continue to do the natural thing. After all,

with all the lack of communication it’s natural for everyone to assume whatever enters their imagination, especially that things are not going well.

I'd better not post any images of what I'm thinking, it would blow your balls off and melt your face. Simple as that.

• Like 10

I'd better not post any images of what I'm thinking, it would blow your balls off and melt your face. Simple as that.

In this new era of #metoo I would like it known that I give flojomojo consent to blow my balls ... off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will just leave this here for now...

gardenia.jpg

Looks a lot like the Dev board the VCS team used. Does it use the Bristol Ridge chip? I see the board is dated 2014, and the BR chip came out in 2017. Is this why the Dev team blurred out the date of the board because it would be revealed the board is 3 years older than they claimed? I'm sure this was discussed when the first pictures of the board came out, but that seems like ages ago.

Looks a lot like the Dev board the VCS team used. Does it use the Bristol Ridge chip? I see the board is dated 2014, and the BR chip came out in 2017. Is this why the Dev team blurred out the date of the board because it would be revealed the board is 3 years older than they claimed? I'm sure this was discussed when the first pictures of the board came out, but that seems like ages ago.

Here's Kevtris' original post. It was back in August of last year. You'd think they could show something of the software UI by now, but this doesn't seem like a multitasking "team."

Right below it is CPUwiz saying this. I'm sure everyone is NDA'ed up, and we all know how much "Atari" likes to use their lawyers, but it would sure be fun to hear the inside story.

Hey guys, I hate to tell you this, but there is a friend of mine in the picture. I have known him for 25+ years and he is neither dumb or drinks KoolAid. This project is going to happen, otherwise he would not be standing there.

Leak! Sing like a birdie! Let it all out.

• Like 3

This was posted on Pinside about a completely unrelated topic (the potential licensing of Alien pinball by CGC after Heighway Pinball imploded with people's money in a blaze of glory) but I thought it applied splendidly to our Neu VCS enthusiasts as well...

You guys are so easy to lie to because you desperately want to believe.

The first rule of finding a con job mark.

• Like 5

The "Atari VCS" has been "delayed to make it even better," just like the Retro Chameleon! Because time moves in a predictable forward direction but "the team" does not, they've upgraded their 2016 AMD spec to an unspecified Ryzen chip, which they claim will be better even though master baiter Rob Wyatt said the older chip was better for thermal and energy trade-offs.

They're trying to make lemonade out of a giant jar of piss. They claim that the reason for their lack of communication was to "fully-mature this important decision before making it public." You can't make this stuff up. Is that a French idiom? Cos it sure ain't English.

Given it was what we expected to happen all along I am surprised there's any reaction at all aside the appropriate "told you so".

I read in the Atari 8-bit section about an upcoming Atari computer exhibit at the Vintage Computer Festival East (NJ) in the beginning of May and couldn't help thinking that in a normal world where Ataribox LLC and Atari SA listened to the community and their customers, delivered on time what they had announced, it could have been a perfect moment to buy some advertising space (depending on whether or not the Vintage Computer Federation allows commercial promotion at their festivals) and showcased the near to be released Atari VCS to people who at least care about the brand, even if not the product.

But alas, that won't be the case and most probably never will.

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, it's a newer version of the board they have. If you check their board pictures that they photoshopped you can barely see the '14" part of 2014 on it, right where it is on mine. My board was made in 2015 some time. Going by the sticker on the bottom, my board has this CPU on it:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-FX-8800P-Notebook-Processor-Specifications-and-Benchmarks.144074.0.html

The AMD FX-8800P is the top-tier Carrizo APU of 2015 for mainstream laptops. It is a SoC containing two Excavator CPU modules (with 4 integer and 2 FP units counted as 4 compute cores), a Radeon R7 graphics card with 8 compute cores (512 shaders), a DDR3-2133 (35 Watt cTDP) memory controller and a video engine (including UVD 6 with hardware HEVC / H.265 decoding).

The performances of the CPU and GPU cores depend on the configurable TDP. This cTDP can range from 12 to 35 Watts depending on the cooling solution and size of the laptop. Thus, clock speeds of the compute cores will vary. E.g., the GPU can score between 1992 points (15 Watts) to 2753 points (+38% with 35 Watts cTDP) in 3DMark 11 (P).

If you look carefully at their pictures, there's a "35W" written in sharpie on it, so they are using a 35W tdp CPU, most likely. The CPU on my board is also 35W tdp. I suspect their board is slightly older, because it uses some through hole U shaped current sense resistors (these are the silver things that look like small binder clips), while my board has smaller, SMD ones. Now that I have this board, I can tell what they have plugged into it, and where.

On one of the pictures there's an SSD or 2.5" harddrive laying next to the PCB on the bubble wrap. This is because that's where a board mounted SATA connector lives. You can see it peeking out from the edge of the board in my picture.

We have no way to know what CPU they have mounted to that dev board, but it's soldered in. I think but haven't checked, that the pinout of many of the CPUs is the same, so you can perform an upgrade to your product by replacing the CPU and little else.

I have not gotten the board to boot proper, because I am waiting on some RAM. It takes standard laptop style DIMMs, and there's two slots for same on the bottom. When I power it up (3.2A, 10V on the battery connector. yes... it has a complete charging circuit and battery connector!) and press the power button (on the left side, near the top) it gets stuck in a boot loop, with various numbers showing on the POST display (the 7-segs at the bottom left). A green LED flashes each loop, and a red LED lights continuously. There's another green LED that shows standby power is on.

Hopefully I can get it to boot windows or something and run tempest 4K on it... proving anyone can make an Ataribox prototype!

Would that dev board in its default layout fit inside an Atari 5200 shell? Just thinking out loud for ways the VCS project could advance faster by changing the enclosure.

Yeah... I just need a clear jaguar case now to make it complete...

• Like 15

I read in the Atari 8-bit section about an upcoming Atari computer exhibit at the Vintage Computer Festival East (NJ) in the beginning of May and couldn't help thinking that in a normal world where Ataribox LLC and Atari SA listened to the community and their customers, delivered on time what they had announced, it could have been a perfect moment to buy some advertising space (depending on whether or not the Vintage Computer Federation allows commercial promotion at their festivals) and showcased the near to be released Atari VCS to people who at least care about the brand, even if not the product.

But alas, that won't be the case and most probably never will.

With all due respect, as much as personally like going to VCF East (it is in my neck of the woods, after all) and like many of the people who help run it, that's hardly a place for any corporate entity to advertise/promote much of anything, let alone a would-be wide release video game product. There's little-to-no videogame representation there. It's a place where retro computer enthusiasts congregate. Nothing more (and nothing wrong with that).