IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Thanks for posting the link to the interview Flojomojo, even if I cringed while listening. 

It’s clear they didn’t succeed at their objective of clearing the air on what the video computer system is. Or is not. Or is. 

I did enjoy the hiccup of “we’re hoping to have more updates.. no, we will have more updates this year.”

Calling it very powerful is a huge stretch of imagination. The idea that anyone will able to play CyberPunk 2077 or any other real modern title on this is simply not possible. The thing about “the internet” is people aren’t trying to hide facts or deceive others intentionally so, despite that apparently being the case here. Oh, those pesky internet trolls just pounding on our product for no good reason. But what is it!? We shall remain mysterious. Can’t dissect the hardware components if it’s showcased in a large black box with intent to hide what is actually under the hood. 

Still talking about Minecraft and Fortnite, good grief. He almost sounded frustrated with himself in being unable to answer what the VCS is when asking it out loud again only to continue talking about what it isn’t. 

One thing I know it isn’t, and that’s a viable product for the future growth of Atari that these few people are grasping onto in hopes that this is somehow going to bring Atari back from the dead. At least the OUYA was priced reasonably. As closed as the Xbox One or PS4 might be, at least you’ll actually be able to play real modern titles for half the price but carry on about 4K streaming that’s already built into every smart tv you can buy from Walmart for $200. 

I don't know Mr. Artz personally, but by this interview, he gives unpolished politicians a run for their money (perhaps it's what he's practicing for after this fiasco is forgotten about). It's like he had a handler there constantly waving "NO!" to the things he was saying.

If anything, the "trolls" are definitely living in his head, rent-free. He and Team Taco have had plenty of time to come up with a clear and concise message as to what this platform is and how to market it, but because they can't give legitimate criticisms an inch, they end up talking utter nonsense in the attempt to sound like they've got a handle on things. Instead of giving us polish, expertise and confidence, they look and sound incredibly incompetent.

All he wants to say is that we've got a computer for your TV. Unfortunately, that's not revolutionary or unique, so spin away to confuse the listener/reader into forgetting about what the subject was in the first place.

It's amusing that the example he uses of this powerful machine is a game that will be eight years old (Borderlands 2) by the time that  the Tacobox launches. And assuming that's the same Borderlands shown in that CNET video, it was chugging along at 15-20fps (queue up the "unoptimized" excuses). Why not show us something that was released this year to show us dumb trolls all up?

You know the answer... 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TACODON said:

Assuming it actually releases...

I think it will take only a day or two for the thing to fall flat once the early backers get it. Of course the pigeons will say it will get better.

That is why I plan on selling mine off as soon as it gets dropped off by the carrier pigeons. This thing will flop hard and the only way to get any money back is to flip it fast.

I think you're wrong.  It'll flop hard, then in 30-40 years you can sell it for a brazillion dollars.... erm Tacos!  Keep it new in box and sell it as 'Launch edition'. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:36 PM, Flojomojo said:

573777037_ScreenShot2019-07-29at10_56_44AM.thumb.png.cb5507b39ab0b694ea6fbfc75ca238e3.png

FredsHeroes.thumb.jpg.74a761ea699358694ad334c07ef66294.jpg

Clinks famous coffee pot, which Hogans crew modified as a radio, reminds me of the Atacobox.  It looks like a console coffee pot, but it's actually something else.

602057851_HogansHeroescoffeepot.jpg.f0c9ac57afa19adf30e67cec628b2b72.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

So Atari VCS is still in the Prototype phase. 

141519005_ScreenShot2019-07-30at4_12_18PM.thumb.png.942b34c27e5740c5e405414cceee6b86.png

What percentage of a prototype do you need to have for it to be a prototype? 12%? I think they are still at the concept stage. That reminds me of this clip. Just replace "plan" with prototype. Still the same silly discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spriggy said:

Clinks famous coffee pot, which Hogans crew modified as a radio, reminds me of the Atacobox.  It looks like a console coffee pot, but it's actually something else.

602057851_HogansHeroescoffeepot.jpg.f0c9ac57afa19adf30e67cec628b2b72.jpg

VCScoffeepots.thumb.jpg.3d2ac18e00584518f8d478d4204cdccd.jpg

I know.  I know.  Sue me ? ... ?

floggingdeadhorse.gif.9964af57d74ccbd830a996263a633bd6.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Awww come on guys,...Man...All the trolling and etc., of atari.   I mean... Golly!

If I remember right,  June is gonna be a Big Month for Atari!!   That's right Daddy-O wait until June!!  Then we can all...Hey!  0 My Goodness!   It's almost August!!!!   What the Frick happened in June??!   Does anyone remember?  I mean...This stuff moves pretty fast...OK, OK  I think I'm remembering now...Yeah, That was probably when they changed their Kevlar to Tweed or something or maybe that was when they decided to announce that WalMart and Albertson's would be selling the systems on their websites...or something...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, leech said:

I think you're wrong.  It'll flop hard, then in 30-40 years you can sell it for a brazillion dollars.... erm Tacos!  Keep it new in box and sell it as 'Launch edition'. 

I'd prefer the 'LUNCH EDITION' at this point. 

taco bell tacos GIF

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cybercylon said:

What percentage of a prototype do you need to have for it to be a prototype? 12%? I think they are still at the concept stage. That reminds me of this clip. Just replace "plan" with prototype. Still the same silly discussion.

Yeah, I was about to say if that's the case then they are still in the concept stages because a faux box under a black box that's most likely just another PC running emulation is not prototype stage. Neither was the AMD development board though.

It would be kind of nice to actually see some real circuitry of what is actually going in under the hood but there hasn't even been so much as a glimpse let alone a mention of such progress being made. Total smoke and mirrors clouded by Joystick/Controller concepts while wearing plastic gloves.

Maybe I missed the video/photo of them showing someone actually working on the PCB side of things? Not trying to troll.

• Like 1

THis was posted to Reddit 

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/31/1895053/0/en/Atari-2018-2019-Annual-Statement-of-Operations-Steady-Profitable-Growth.html

Atari VCS: Atari VCS will be launched during FY 2019/2020, with pre-orders exceeding 10,000 units. Distribution channels are in place in the U.S. with Walmart and Gamestop.

10k units isn't much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

10K units (including folks like @Kosmic Stardust who just want a joystick) lines up with their IGG numbers. I suppose it's too soon for GameStop/Wal-Mart/Ralph's/Albertsons numbers. 

R&D expenses rose to €7.4 million versus €4.9 million during the prior FY, net of capitalization and amortization. This increase highlights the relaunch of production and the mobilization of resources for the development of the business lines for the years to come.

Did the R&D costs come out of the IGG "contributions"? I read this very quickly and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. 

• December 2018: Receipt of US$1.1 million in the context of a settlement for infringement upon the Atari brand. The Group is moreover pursuing other corporations to assert its intellectual property rights.

I read this to mean than "Atari" copyright troll activity contributed to close to 50% of their net income. That includes going after Target for foot pong, Kit Kat for using breakout in a commercial, and all the little guys with stickers and T-shirt designs. 

What an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable. 

trash garbage GIF

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I would pay good American dollars to sit in a pub and hear John Phelan talk with this man:

At what point does a strong accent become a totally different language?  Wherever that line is drawn, I think this man landed on the other side of it.

(It is nice to hear a genuine Irish accent, though, instead of the phony Lucky Charms Leprechaun accent that one often hears on TV, at least in the US.)

10 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

It would be kind of nice to actually see some real circuitry of what is actually going in under the hood but there hasn't even been so much as a glimpse let alone a mention of such progress being made. Total smoke and mirrors clouded by Joystick/Controller concepts while wearing plastic gloves.

The plastic gloves thing made me laugh.  HERE for reference.  Are the workers, building the joysticks, worried about leaving their fingerprints behind, which in turn enables them to be identified when people start complaining about the joystick breaking at that tiny pivot point, in turn said builder taking the heat instead of the Team Chipboard Devs?  

notme.gif.0bf209b341dc4faf83a322b0a7f7606b.gif

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Did the R&D costs come out of the IGG "contributions"? I read this very quickly and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. 

(Note: 3.1 million USD leeched from IGG.)

It appears to read that way Flo.  "€7.4 million versus €4.9 million during the prior FY."   Also, their listed Current Operating Income and Net Income also seems to hover around the same 3.1 million USD figure, + or - figure fiddling.

"Current Operating Income: €3.1 million, up 35.7%"

"Net Income: €2.7 million, up 20.6%"

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I read this to mean than "Atari" copyright troll activity contributed to close to 50% of their net income. That includes going after Target for foot pong, Kit Kat for using breakout in a commercial, and all the little guys with stickers and T-shirt designs. 

What an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable. 

trash garbage GIF

Yup.  Shook my head at this narcissistic comment.   I realize it's a matter of course that businesses may try and protect their IP in certain cases, but scraping the bottom of the garbage bin to garner any funds possible and making such self-serving comments, surely knowing their chest-beating to stakeholders would eventually be read by us, the gaming public, is idiocy.

fredthegrouch.jpg.cbe268b867cf6461f98cbfc2a914af4b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBerel said:

About 58,000 Ouyas shipped at launch, and that was considered a huge failure. Even the Wii U, which was considered a significant failure, shipped around 900,000 at launch.

I was curious how many sold at retail and found this

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?15070-Anyone-know-how-many-OUYAs-have-been-sold

My Dad is trying to tell me that the OUYA is a failure. Is there a number of how many were sold?

And this answer

Nope. There is nothing publicly announced with regards to units sold. 

Did you tell your dad that OUYA isn't trying to compete with the big 3? tongue.png

Doesn't that sound familiar?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Hey,

On a more serious note,

While wandering the Plaza with some friends after Sir Mix-A-Lot played,  I found this Taco John's taco truck!...Jus thought I'd share :)

image.thumb.jpeg.8aa1f01f217696bdf74a712842f923c5.jpeg

Oh, I forgot.  You've given me an idea GL.  You can only blame yourself for posting a pic of your mug.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1