IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

there is an 'informational' thread where we've mostly tried to behave over at 

The info is pretty much deprecated, so the Short Short version is supposedly the console is releasing to backers December 2019 and to the US only in March 2020.  Their sales 'partners' are Wal-Mart and GameStop.

The primary sources of information will be their Indiegogo page here and their homepage here.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2019 at 7:26 AM, digdugnate said:

it's just puzzling to me for the last two years the name of their game has been 'obfuscation'.  if anything, it seems like a psychological experiment gone horribly awry.

That sounds like a terrible game. At least there's some physical media for el collectors. 

E50AB3C5-1020-43D9-8DC3-D6F9A77B3C26.thumb.jpeg.6fc8ff0555aa50b4ce410bac0182aa46.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

This thing will flop so hard coming out near the same time as the next gen consoles. Really makes you wonder their mindset and who they're targeting!? They really haven't won over us old school Atari fans and the millennials would rather put that money towards the new systems coming out. The new PS5 and Xbox look like systems to keep an eye on, who would want to cut into their budget for this nonsense. Having said that i would buy one for $50 or something but at the price they're asking for an obsolete system there is no market. Taco's tomorrow night yay ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

That sounds like a terrible game. At least there's some physical media for el collectors. 

E50AB3C5-1020-43D9-8DC3-D6F9A77B3C26.thumb.jpeg.6fc8ff0555aa50b4ce410bac0182aa46.jpeg

What? They didn't include the levels where you mime controlling a blank screen with a Windows Update of Yars Revenge added in post, or the original arcade level of crashing your parachute on re-entry? Or what about the exclusive level called "scratching your ass"?

index.php?app=core&module=attach&sectionscreen-8.jpg?fakeurl=1&type=.jpgtenor.gif?itemid=9563481 

Indeed, if they had an actual second prototype, that is, a first prototype that looks like what they've been shilling for years and actually works, they'd be falling all over themselves to promote it and take credit. Same goes for every other milestone on their frozen project schedule. That's the best evidence that they have nothing to this day, and have no hope of delivering anything by the end of the current calendar year.

• Like 2

What puzzles me is, if they didn't make any progress, what are they doing? How do they spend their time every day? Even if Fred Chesnais is a crook or the antichrist, I guess he doesn't really like the idea of paying people to do nothing, right? Do they play Centipede all day long? Do they need a whole week to figure out what to post on Facebook?
19e1f0pge5r0lgif.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

What puzzles me is, if they didn't make any progress, what are they doing? How do they spend their time every day? Even if Fred Chesnais is a crook or the antichrist, I guess he doesn't really like the idea of paying people to do nothing, right? Do they play Centipede all day long? Do they need a whole week to figure out what to post on Facebook?

Well like @Flojomojo wrote, we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes for hardware.  But like @JBerel put, we kind of do.  If they had a working prototype inside one of the five (?) empty console shells on the table, it'd be the only one on the table and there'd be no question it would be running the monitor's video.  Why not?  It'd give them something to brag about and possibly grab more sales.  They might have even invited their worst skeptics, like The Register, because they could get good press. Michael Artz would have to swallow his pride to invite them, but who doesn't like a good "told-you-so"?

It should be noted Atari penned in their latest post that the press had hands-on time with "key Atari VCS system features and final pre-production hardware units."

We do know PowerA has been working on the controllers.  Those seem to actually exist and work in some form or another. To my earlier point about the prototypes, Atari didn't just have some XBox controllers there:  they had the actual ready-for-production prototypes.  Atari wanted us to know they made progress.

There also seems to be at least a partially-working O/S and we're told a "pixel perfect flawless" 2600 emulator.  

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
changed pixel-perfect to flawless
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I made a mistake. I visited the AtariVCS site.

*cough* HOW MUCH? *cough*

Okay, I guess that you are still technically part of the PC master race if you get one of these but I'm pretty sure I can build a better tower for that price. And as for console ... how much is a One X these days?

I'll wait till they end up on eBay for £40.

• Like 1

Moving on to the second station, it was time to finally try some games and play with a working prototype of the new Atari Classic Joystick. System architect Rob Wyatt is an Atari super-fan and has created a flawless Atari 2600 emulator that will be “baked into” the Atari OS and GUI with several benefits in mind. We hope that having this as a feature in the Atari VCS will help “demystify” the world of ROMs and emulators for the casual fans that may want a very authentic retro experience. It also gives more technical-minded retro-gamers a new way to get their favorite classic games onto modern big-screen TVs. 

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

They sit waiting for the phone to ring with an offer to buy the company

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 5x7 said:

Nailed it ^

I've long thought that this entire thing was a ploy to find an interested buyer in the company. They've made no secret that they would really love a buyout. Probably pains Fred every time he hears about some dumb new startup that no one's ever heard of being bought out by some big tech company for millions or billions.

Catching up on the thread after vacation, I see we're into August 2019 now, just a few months away from when this fantastic and revolutionary new unconsole is supposed to be shipping and all Atari's got is an interview that says nothing on cable news.

On the VCS only having 10,000 units pre-ordered, that's another red flag that the head-in-sand brigade should be noticing, but I'm not surprised that they aren't. 10k is amazing in the arcade industry, but in the home console business? That's a fart in the wind standing near a tornado. 

Oh, and I noticed for the first time that this thread is tagged 'tacos.' ?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 5x7 said:

A foolish young Frenchman called Fred

Had a delusion deep inside his head

That his company would sell

While the stock value fell

With the brand name increasingly dead. 

He endeavored to build a machine

With envy, the world would be green

He hired Rob Wyatt

But no one would buy it

Two years later, and it still hasn't been seen. 

For the love of croissants with ham

Michael Arzt can't escape from this jam

When you're a dumb crook

You can't hide it with Facebook

Because everyone knows it's a scam. 

But what if you gave them some money?

Indiegogo says, "no refunds, honey."

Having to wait

Is never so great 

You can play Centipede on something else, sonny. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1