Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

The Verge did a write-up on Wyatt's Gameboard-1.  Inside is an interesting reminder box:

 

Quote

A note on crowdfunding:

Crowdfunding is a chaotic field by nature: companies looking for funding tend to make big promises.  According to a study run by Kickstarter in 2015, roughly 1 in 10 “successful” products that reach their funding goals fail to actually deliver rewards. Of the ones that do deliver, delays, missed deadlines, or overpromised ideas mean that there’s often disappointment in store for those products that do get done.

 

The best defense is to use your best judgment. Ask yourself: does the product look legitimate? Is the company making outlandish claims? Is there a working prototype? Does the company mention existing plans to manufacture and ship finished products? Has it completed a Kickstarter before?

 

And remember: you’re not necessarily buying a product when you back it on a crowdfunding site.

 

Lessons learned?  Or brief moment of lucidity?

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, frankodragon said:

153106695_robstrollpost.jpg.ed9b5af35da314ef8d0ce7b65ed86d23.jpg

 

Others already did months ago.

 

12 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Exactly how is "Let's see you make a console!" a great comeback if the key criticism is that literally any moron can make an identical unit with $50 in parts?

 

12 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

Anyone can make a "VCS" that's comparable in retro game compatibility with little more than a Raspberry Pi 4 or similarly spec'd single board computers, micro SD card loaded with RetroPie or Lakka, and one of several options for Atari 2600 Pi cases that can be bought premade/pre-printed or be 3D printed yourself. Also, assuming Rob here is speaking to us directly on this thread as well as responding to criticism on Facebook: we literally have a number of industry veterans who have been observing the hilarious shitshow Atari's been putting on for us, as well as our snark at their expense, or are directly contributing to the peanut gallery chatter. We even have a few people who have worked on/are currently working on hardware, including Tommy Tallarico, leader of Intellivision Entertainment and leading the development of the Intellivision Amico, and Curt Vendel, who designed, among other things, the Atari Flashback 2 (the only Atari PNP console that's a true hardware clone of the 2600) under contract by another era of Atari that actually gave a damn about their heritage.

 

Some of us trolls have actually made hardware that can run games a helluva lot better than Atari's smoke and mirrors, one way or another. But, no, no, Atari will certainly blow all of us away with their Tacobox running a modified version of Debian, or one of its forked distros, that's far less optimized for gaming or feature rich than Steam OS or even Ubuntu. That's even assuming the console will launch at all. Don't worry... We'll wait.

If you make a console, they'll move the goalposts. "Ohh.  Nice console, but it's not a success like the VCS will be!"  That's how cultists work.  I once got into an argument with a user here who said that the arcade game Tempest wasn't a success.  His argument?  There was no arcade sequel.  I provided stat after stat on units shipped, money made, critical consensus, but nope, this  one held onto his belief that "No sequel, it's not a success."

Edited by Inky
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Every time I see that "Ataribawx" sticker, I imagine the new Atari VCS mascot:

 

tenor.gif?itemid=10226842

 

 

 

 

 

Chicken tacos, obviously

OK, I just thought of this.
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Inky said:

 

 

If you make a console, they'll move the goalposts. "Ohh.  Nice console, but it's not a success like the VCS will be!"  That's how cultists work.  I once got into an argument with a user here who said that the arcade game Tempest wasn't a success.  His argument?  There was no arcade sequel.  I provided stat after stat on units shipped, money made, critical consensus, but nope, this  one held onto his belief that "No sequel, it's not a success."

Figured as much, we are talking about a hardcore, die hard AtacoBox believer, after all. It's kinda funny he's attempting to support "Atari" when he doesn't want to acknowledge the original company's success, but anything to keep convincing himself that he didn't potentially throw hundreds of dollars of his hard earned money into a furnace, right?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Woulfe said:

Lets see...

 

Rasberry Pi - Well it depends on what model you get - Zero can be as low as $5.00 

Case for the Pi - $8.00 - well, unless you want it to look like an olde skool 2600, that might cost a little bit more

SD mini / micro card -  $20.00 - This might cost less depending on MB / GB size you want

Mini Keyboard - $15.00

Small LED screen - if you don't want to plug it into a TV or whatever have you - $7.00

All slightly over $50.00

 

Still a hella lot cheaper then the VCS, even if you toss in things like an OS for the Pi & RetroPi to play olde skool games, you still aren't paying a whole lot

Well, not as much as for the VCS itself that's for certain, and anyone who's ever put together a computer can do this, there's your 'console' VCS fanbois

 

Put that in yer pipe & smoke it ;-)

 

P.S. ( as long as we're using STYX videos )

 

 

 

 

For less than the Atacobox, you could get parts for a Mister setup with money to spare and actually learn something in the process.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I LOVE Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast.  🙂

Actually, that's from the spinoff, The Brak Show

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phantom_of_Krankor said:

One of my favorite SGCTC episodes.

https://binged.it/35zt20o

Oooh!  THey have one of my favorites, Kentucky Nightmare! 

 

" So now there's a liquor store involved!"

Actually, that would explain a LOT about the Atacobox

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Inky said:

Oooh!  THey have one of my favorites, Kentucky Nightmare! 

 

" So now there's a liquor store involved!"

Actually, that would explain a LOT about the Atacobox

Didn't see that one was there, but now I must watch it. Another classic.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inky said:

Oooh!  THey have one of my favorites, Kentucky Nightmare! 

 

" So now there's a liquor store involved!"

Actually, that would explain a LOT about the Atacobox

https://binged.it/2J8fSy3

 

Space Ghost: In the heat of conversation, Zorak, I may have said certain things that I don't believe to be true...

Zorak: So... You lied.

Space Ghost: The alleged lie that you might have heard.. me saying.. allegedly moments ago.. That's a parasite that lives in my neck.

Adult Swim predicting the Atacobox?

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I miss something, or did the Atari men in black sterilize the "official" subreddit?

 

1092184100_Screenshot_20191015-1257012.thumb.png.0942c8885dbf21c8cb14162077325e5f.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, frankodragon said:

"Atari"- In a nutshell.

 

Good song, but not entirely relevant. It's a cautionary tale, nothing that fame & fortune won't solve all your problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, racerx said:

Did I miss something, or did the Atari men in black sterilize the "official" subreddit?

 

1092184100_Screenshot_20191015-1257012.thumb.png.0942c8885dbf21c8cb14162077325e5f.png

Click 'new' and you'll see the recent stuff.  It's still there 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

hqdefault.jpg

GENTLEMEN.. TACO ISLAND!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have a Brak sticker on my truck...  it used to get comments all the time.  One time, there was even a note on my windshield saying they liked it.

 

This was back in the late 90's if I remember correctly.  And I don't think the note mentioned tacos or boxes.  So perhaps this isn't exactly on topic.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 5:49 PM, DurradonXylles said:

Anyone can make a "VCS" that's comparable in retro game compatibility with little more than a Raspberry Pi 4 or similarly spec'd single board computers, micro SD card loaded with RetroPie or Lakka, and one of several options for Atari 2600 Pi cases that can be bought premade/pre-printed or be 3D printed yourself. Also, assuming Rob here is speaking to us directly on this thread as well as responding to criticism on Facebook: we literally have a number of industry veterans who have been observing the hilarious shitshow Atari's been putting on for us, as well as our snark at their expense, or are directly contributing to the peanut gallery chatter. We even have a few people who have worked on/are currently working on hardware, including Tommy Tallarico, leader of Intellivision Entertainment and leading the development of the Intellivision Amico, and Curt Vendel, who designed, among other things, the Atari Flashback 2 (the only Atari PNP console that's a true hardware clone of the 2600) under contract by another era of Atari that actually gave a damn about their heritage.

 

Some of us trolls have actually made hardware that can run games a helluva lot better than Atari's smoke and mirrors, one way or another. But, no, no, Atari will certainly blow all of us away with their Tacobox running a modified version of Debian, or one of its forked distros, that's far less optimized for gaming or feature rich than Steam OS or even Ubuntu. That's even assuming the console will launch at all. Don't worry... We'll wait.


I accept Robert's challenge.   :D

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought there was going to be a discussion on one of the developers that just jumped ship, but looking at the 10000 pictures and videos for the last few pages, I was wrong. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S1500 said:

I thought there was going to be a discussion on one of the developers that just jumped ship, but looking at the 10000 pictures and videos for the last few pages, I was wrong. 

Unless someone else significant fell off of the project within the last day, we've already said about as much as we could about Rob Wyatt and his departure from the VCS project about fifteen pages back when the "unsubstantiated rumors" started getting confirmed by the Register as not-so-unsubstantiated (with Atari confirming soon after in protest). This thread tends to shitpost a lot between El Reg exposés, Atari's glittery, overly written Medium articles, and the dumpster fires started by their social media/reddit convos. We entertain ourselves because the iterations of Atari most of us grew up with and enjoyed has long since died, with the current corporate leadership seeing the brand and its heritage as gateways to funnel money from potential Ponzi schemes and one arm bandit conversions of old licenses (though, to be fair, everything under the sun has slot/pachinko conversions, and Konami was already doing that shit years prior); we're playing Statler and Waldorf to the Muppet Show Atari SA is putting on, and enjoying every minute of it.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, S1500 said:

I thought there was going to be a discussion on one of the developers that just jumped ship, but looking at the 10000 pictures and videos for the last few pages, I was wrong. 

 

There wasn't really much to say  The medium.com post confirmed what a couple posters here said days before  about Atari being 6-12 months away from production, with proper testing.  The non-payment news fit in with failing crowdfunded campaigns, but was also not proven.  There were suggestions to remember Wyatt has a history of not playing well with others.  And we pointed out the curious timing of Wyatt's new Kickstarter.

 

What would you like to discuss?  Would sending my out a single AtariVCS in December fulfill their promise to start shipping to backers by then?  

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...